Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    #4) Toaks titanium shepherds hooks
    I have some of those stakes and the only problem I find with them is they do not hold too well in sandy soil. I also carry a 4 Ti V stakes depending on the soil type I will run into.

#6) UQ- Incubator 20 degree
    You can save a few ounces and $$ by going with the Phoenix 3/4 UQ. I just throw my jacket at the foot of the hammock and place my feet on it to provide insulation.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by Rick68 View Post
    I am going light weight next year, and have come up with this list. My usual pack weight is 45 to 50 pounds, so this new system I am gonna spend around $1500.00 and get my weight dropped down a lot.
    #1) Pack- ULA Ohm2.0
    #2) Hammock- Hammeck Netty (I already own)
    #3) Tarp- standard cuban fiber with doors, "in camo" 12' ridge line & snake skins
    #4) Toaks titanium shepherds hooks
    #5) TQ- Burrow 20 degree
    #6) UQ- Incubator 20 degree
    #7) New suspension- cinch buckle system
    #8) Cookware- Toaks 750ml pot, BRS titanium stove,
    I still have till February too make my decision. This is a lot of money but my back needs this, besides my wallet will be light, lol.
    So if anyone has any suggestions I would like to hear them. Thx, Rick.
    I to debated between the circuit and the ohm. I chose the circuit and I really enjoy this pack. I agree with what some others have said about the tarp. 12ft ridge is rather long for the hammocks that I use. I like the idea to get a tarp with doors as well. I tried whoopie slings but chose to go with the cinch buckles instead, they were easier for me to adjust. Good luck with your choices.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    It would be interesting to see what you have currently for those 8 items along with the weight of each as well as the expected weight savings. I've been working on reducing my pack weight as well and I'm in a very similar spot to you right now for the 4-5 day trips. I've since upgraded my sleep system from a tent to a hammock, but a heavy temporary "OQ" and a heavy overly large tarp are going to put me about break even with my ground setup. On a positive note, it may gain me a few degrees of temp and I expect to be far more comfortable. The ground hurts now.

I am the recent proud owner of the UQ you are considering with an extra oz of overstuff. In the future, I'll replace the OQ and zero in on a tarp I feel comfortable with which could save me 1-2 lbs over the ground system I had. The pack is the next big one for me with a potential weight savings of 4-5 lbs and I think I'm at the point with my base weight that I can consider one of the really light packs which will be a big adjustment for me.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by happydensity View Post
    whoopies/kevlar huggers would save some weight. If I was using anything less than a Circuit, I'd wanna shave as much as possible.
    I did the whoopie sling at first, and then did a test on mine and marked it with a black marker and the whoopie sling had moved almost 2". That kinda made me nervous.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have some of those stakes and the only problem I find with them is they do not hold too well in sandy soil. I also carry a 4 Ti V stakes depending on the soil type I will run into.

You can save a few ounces and $$ by going with the Phoenix 3/4 UQ. I just throw my jacket at the foot of the hammock and place my feet on it to provide insulation.
    Yea I tried going minimal on this and found I am a cold sleeper, and I want to be comfortable when I am out there. I think if I was thru hiking I would probably do this, and deal with a little cold calf. But I disperse camp around SHNF and I stay in one place.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gfortune View Post
    It would be interesting to see what you have currently for those 8 items along with the weight of each as well as the expected weight savings. I've been working on reducing my pack weight as well and I'm in a very similar spot to you right now for the 4-5 day trips. I've since upgraded my sleep system from a tent to a hammock, but a heavy temporary "OQ" and a heavy overly large tarp are going to put me about break even with my ground setup. On a positive note, it may gain me a few degrees of temp and I expect to be far more comfortable. The ground hurts now.

I am the recent proud owner of the UQ you are considering with an extra oz of overstuff. In the future, I'll replace the OQ and zero in on a tarp I feel comfortable with which could save me 1-2 lbs over the ground system I had. The pack is the next big one for me with a potential weight savings of 4-5 lbs and I think I'm at the point with my base weight that I can consider one of the really light packs which will be a big adjustment for me.
    I originally got into the bush craft scene, and had to have everything I saw.
    1st my pack is a Kelty 80, "over 5lbs heavy. Kelty Teton 2 tent, with ground cloth.
    my cook kit is all stainless, Military sleep system, DD 10x10 tarp, axe, saw, kit for this, kit for that it goes on and on.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images

A small change

Mostly things are gonna stay the same I changed my mind on one thing so far. I am gonna give my Hammeck Netty to my son and get him out of my old DD hammock. I am gonna go with a new Dream Hammock (Sparrow). 4 seasons, the weight is still less then my tent or my old system. I wanna thx those who have commented and helped me out. Thx, Rick..

February gear run

I just received my sparrow from DH and the thing is absolutely top notch and the most comfy thing I have ever laid in. It's a bit heavier but you can always leave behind the net or over over if the trip doesn't call for it and you want to save weight. Good choice!

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick68 View Post
    I originally got into the bush craft scene, and had to have everything I saw.
    1st my pack is a Kelty 80, "over 5lbs heavy. Kelty Teton 2 tent, with ground cloth.
    my cook kit is all stainless, Military sleep system, DD 10x10 tarp, axe, saw, kit for this, kit for that it goes on and on.
    I feel you on the pack. The one I'm using is a Cabela's hunting pack from the 90's and it weighs in at a paltry 6.5 lbs. It's definitely my next upgrade.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    If you are only buying one tarp go with the palace. If you are buying a winter and a summer tarp go with a superfly and a smaller cuben. Do you really need a palace with doors for year round use in Texas?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast