11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    That's basically my same list , except insulation, of course, and I use msr groundhogs for stakes. Also, 11' ridgeline on my cuben tarp. My base floats between 9 and 12 pounds most trips. Your back will thank you.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    If you are only buying one tarp go with the palace. If you are buying a winter and a summer tarp go with a superfly and a smaller cuben. Do you really need a palace with doors for year round use in Texas?
    With the crazy weather TX has been getting, he may have more of a need for the Winter Palace than I would here in WV

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I did something similar to save my knee and back. Some thoughts:

-the pack you've selected is an excellent pack but heavy. If you want to hike further and bet serious about lowering your base weight I would consider a smaller, lighter pack. Even going from the OHM to their CDT saves a lot of weight. Packs are like houses; the more space you have the more you tend to fill it. Use a cuben fiber stuff sack for your quilts to keep them dry but also to compress and shape them for ideal loading. The CDT weights in at 24oz and would easily carry all that you have for 2-4 days. The OHM is 32.5 oz. It really boils down to your longer term goals. More/longer hiking and realy getting to that lighter basis weight?

-Tarp; I think Hammock Gear cuben fiber tarps are absolutely fantastic. I would encourage you to think twice about the 12ft ridgeline. I had one for years and frequently ran into issues trying to fit between trees. The tarp would run into the hammock suspension and it was an irritation. I now have a 10ft ridgeline HG CF. The doors are perfect and give you the ability to really button up in a storm. Having had both I can say that it's a pure joy pitching the shorter tarp. I can easily hang between trees that are closer together. The extra room was nice but frankly I want the light weight and efficiency of being able to pitch in more locations.

The 20 degree quilts are wonderful; I'm an advocate of full length quilts. I found that having 3 sets of quilts to better match temperatures is best.

However you go, I hope you get as much satisfaction out of going lighter as I have. During warmer weather I can easily get my base weight under 7 or 8 lbs and I really enjoy how light and free it feels moving down the trail. Even in winter I can still get to under 10lbs, even when I'm carrying my 0 degree quilts. I enjoy finding the lightest possible gear or combination of gear that is also highly efficient. Good luck on your journey!

Gideon

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    All sounds good. I have and love my ohm. I would use the Shepard stakes either. Dutch has some stakes that I trended out that are amazing. If you like buckles I would use cinch bugs z. Keeps the webbing separate and easy adjustments

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I did something similar to save my knee and back. Some thoughts:

-the pack you've selected is an excellent pack but heavy. If you want to hike further and bet serious about lowering your base weight I would consider a smaller, lighter pack. Even going from the OHM to their CDT saves a lot of weight. Packs are like houses; the more space you have the more you tend to fill it. Use a cuben fiber stuff sack for your quilts to keep them dry but also to compress and shape them for ideal loading. The CDT weights in at 24oz and would easily carry all that you have for 2-4 days. The OHM is 32.5 oz. It really boils down to your longer term goals. More/longer hiking and realy getting to that lighter basis weight?

-Tarp; I think Hammock Gear cuben fiber tarps are absolutely fantastic. I would encourage you to think twice about the 12ft ridgeline. I had one for years and frequently ran into issues trying to fit between trees. The tarp would run into the hammock suspension and it was an irritation. I now have a 10ft ridgeline HG CF. The doors are perfect and give you the ability to really button up in a storm. Having had both I can say that it's a pure joy pitching the shorter tarp. I can easily hang between trees that are closer together. The extra room was nice but frankly I want the light weight and efficiency of being able to pitch in more locations.

The 20 degree quilts are wonderful; I'm an advocate of full length quilts. I found that having 3 sets of quilts to better match temperatures is best.

However you go, I hope you get as much satisfaction out of going lighter as I have. During warmer weather I can easily get my base weight under 7 or 8 lbs and I really enjoy how light and free it feels moving down the trail. Even in winter I can still get to under 10lbs, even when I'm carrying my 0 degree quilts. I enjoy finding the lightest possible gear or combination of gear that is also highly efficient. Good luck on your journey!

Gideon
    Thanks I will keep this in mind. I sure wish I could try them first and then purchase the packs. The tarps I am still up in the air about as far as length goes. I don't have a problem finding trees where I live. The tq and uq I am going with 2 sets a 40 degree set and a 20 degree set, 2oz over stuff on the 20 degree set. Thx for taking the time and replying to my post. Rick..

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium33 View Post
    All sounds good. I have and love my ohm. I would use the Shepard stakes either. Dutch has some stakes that I trended out that are amazing. If you like buckles I would use cinch bugs z. Keeps the webbing separate and easy adjustments
    I like the Shepherd stakes, and seen that Dutch has the burly stakes, put those on the list quick. Thanks for the post. Rick..

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    That's basically my same list , except insulation, of course, and I use msr groundhogs for stakes. Also, 11' ridgeline on my cuben tarp. My base floats between 9 and 12 pounds most trips. Your back will thank you.
    I am not gonna do the cuben thing this go round, instead I am gonna buy a second set of quilts with the money, and a new hammock. Thx for posting. Rick..

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft Hex1.0
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks
    If you are going by yourself a 750 ml pot is pretty big. Also if you go alcohol you can get a much lighter stove as well.

Toaks 750 ml - 110grams
    BSR stove - 25grams

You could easily go with an elite alcohol stove from minibull designs, and a 550 ml toaks pot.

Toaks 550ml - 72 grams
    Elite stove - 3 grams

135-75= 60grams/2.1ounces

May not justify the weight savings but it looks like your trying to go as light as you can. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    One thing I like to mention about packs, especially since it relates to your physical health (back), is to not be afraid of overlooking the actual pack's weight. That seems to go against the grain in this forum, but something I firmly believe in.

If you have an 18oz pack that carries pretty good, but not great...compared to a 3lb pack that carries so well it feels like you're carrying nothing at all, it really doesn't matter. Comfort>numbers on a scale. If the Ohm fits you perfect and carries well FOR YOU, fine. But just something to consider before and after purchasing a pack. Don't feel "locked into" anything. You can always try packs and return them or sell them for a small loss. It's worth 10x that cost in comfort in the long run.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Ok, after listening to everyones thoughts and trials, I have decided to go this way.
    HIKING GEAR $COST$ WEIGHT
    ULA
    Pack "circuit" (woodland camo) Total: $235.00 43oz

DUTCH GEAR
    Pack cover "Dutch argon silnylon" (woodland camo) $ 23.00
    Ti cinch buckle, 15' camo straps, Ti dutch clips, 8"continuous loops(yellow,black) $ 56.80
    Total: $ 94.05 2.5oz

UGQ-TARP
    Winter Dream Tarp
    PATTERN: WOODLAND 12'(woodland camo), guy lines(yellow) $189.95
    Panel Pull Outs 4 $ 20.00
    Total: $219.95 21oz

DREAM HAMMOCK
    Sparrow, 11'in length
    net & overcover, "1.6 hyperD (woodland camo)
    single layer, "1.6oz hyperD (woodland camo)

Danger Bird, 11' in length (this is for my son)
    net & overcover, 1.6 hyperDxl (dark olive)
    single layer, 1.6 over cover (dark olive)
    Total: $431.35 38oz

HAMMOCK GEAR
    Burrow 20 degree,(woodland camo, coyote brown) $284.00 17oz
    Incubator 20 degree,(woodland camo, coyote brown) $249.00 18oz
    Total: $553.00

AMAZON
    Helinox chair 25oz
    Total: $ 69.97

TOTAL= $1,603,32 TOTAL WEIGHT- 170oz, 10.6lbs
    Last edited by Rick68; 02-01-2016 at 16:12. Reason: in a mess did not come out the way I wanted it

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast