Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

short UQ attachment

Just wondering, do the short quilts come with a longer attachment on one end (foot end)? Guess head end would be the same as full quilt, but if using a short quilt, then would need a longer attachment to hook to the quilt from the foot end. Am I wrong about that?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    no, the standard partial length quilt has no foot attachment. JRB does sell a version of one of their partial length UQ that has a foot attachment, but it is more quilt.

I did jury rig a foot pad sleeve on one of my DIY partial length quilts. It was an afterthought, a bit of a hack, and in the end I brought the foot pad inside the hammock with me. That is fine with me, and is my normal mode now.

Grizz

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'm talking about how you "hang" the UQ, a torso or 2/3 length UQ, where are the attachment points. For example, the JRB bungi attachments that I got with my Mt Washington short UQ are both the same length. That doesn't seem to make sense to me. If both are attached at the point where rope meets the gathered end of the hammock, then one would have to be longer, no?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I think what dakotamoss was asking is if the partial length under quilts have a longer suspension line on them to hold the quilt it self in place. For my Lost River I do the same length for both the head and foot end shock cord. That way the quilt can be set up with out having to look at which end is which. Then you just have to adjust the lines to get it to the position you want. Or in the case you are using a hammock that dose not have a set head end you could turn end for end in the hammock without removing and re-setting the quilt. For instance if you find one end is higher and wanted to switch and have that be your elevated foot end. Of corse if you wanted to save a gram or two you could just trim the lines down at one end and designate it as the "head" end of the quilt.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I'm talking about how you "hang" the UQ, a torso or 2/3 length UQ, where are the attachment points. For example, the JRB bungi attachments that I got with my Mt Washington short UQ are both the same length. That doesn't seem to make sense to me. If both are attached at the point where rope meets the gathered end of the hammock, then one would have to be longer, no?
    Ah, I see.

A lot of give in bungy cords. I guess the difference in the distance it needs to travel is not so large as to require different lengths at the foot and head. A bit of a production headache I should think.

pgibson makes a good point that having different ones would force you to pay attention to which end is which. I end up having to, because on my DIY quilts I cut the upper torso wider than that bottom. I deal in trapezoids (psst! Hey buddy! Wanna get off on some good Trapezoid, man )

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    How about the additional tension that is put on the shock cord? Especially if you have a longer hammock? With my Hennessy Explorer being 10" longer, and the quilt being 28" shorter than the full length, wouldn't that pretty much dictate a longer shock cord? I mean, I know they stretch, but you're talking about having to stretch an additional 38", which is maybe 100% more than what they were originally designed for?

At some point in stretching, you're going to not only lose elasticity, but lose some of the flexibility in the fit. Not sure if this is much of an issue if you can reach out and pull the quilt around as needed. I don't have a zipper mod on my HH, and it seems that the increased tension on the cord makes the quilt want to go to one side.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Pan told me how to do this last weekend at the MAHHA after I got up 4 times in the cold the night before. Turns out the fourth time was the charm as I did exactly what Pan explained to me the next day, which is:

Put a single suspension setup (bungee cord type from JRB, bungee about 2' long) on the head end. Larks head it at the hammock suspension line as usual. Then use 2 suspension bungees, each about 2', on the foot end. Put one on each side at the foot and hook them to what ever is handy on the hammock - I hooked them to the cinch buckle on that end. So you end up with suspension on the foot end that is roughly twice as long as the suspension on the head end. Of course, you may have to play a little with the lengths of the bungees but the general idea is the same.

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

more length

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Pan told me how to do this last weekend at the MAHHA after I got up 4 times in the cold the night before. Turns out the fourth time was the charm as I did exactly what Pan explained to me the next day, which is:

Put a single suspension setup (bungee cord type from JRB, bungee about 2' long) on the head end. Larks head it at the hammock suspension line as usual. Then use 2 suspension bungees, each about 2', on the foot end. Put one on each side at the foot and hook them to what ever is handy on the hammock - I hooked them to the cinch buckle on that end. So you end up with suspension on the foot end that is roughly twice as long as the suspension on the head end. Of course, you may have to play a little with the lengths of the bungees but the general idea is the same.
    Makes sense. Guess I need to get another 2 bungies from them? Actually, another three. I also got up about 4+ times last nite (first hang with the quilt) and tripped over the bungi which had creeped into the bottom opening of the HH (due to the increased tension) and fell on it. The bungi looks like spaghetti now, but its still hanging on by a few rubber bands.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Good question, dakotaross. I too want my head end susension shorter than my leg. I'm gonna try Pan's technique. Sounds like I can put the foot suspension on the footbox side over the footbox to help keep it in position with this technique. Thanks Jay.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The JRB Mt Washington 3 Short comes witha modified JRB Suspension Set... It has three vs two suspension shock cords... Thus the foot end corners each get a longer shock cord .... So yes, longer shock cords are provided for the foot end.

And as Grizz notes, there is a 1/3 length JRB Mt Washington 3 Compliment quilt that when attached to the short becomes a regular length Mt Washington 3... When doing so one simply uses only two suspension shock cords in the normal mode.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast