SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Buyer Beware On HF For Sale Venue

I recently bought a hammock from a HF member. I really like the hammock's design and modifications. The problem is the smell.

I first thing I noticed upon opening the box was the smell. It was overpowering. It was so bad that my daughter wouldn't get inside the hammock to check it out. I think it must be mildew.

The ironic thing about it is that the HF seller's post explicitly said, "No funky odor".

I am not going to call out the person who sold me the hammock by name. But I knew from his backlash when I sent the initial payment to the wrong address that something wasn't right.

I have washed the hammock in detergent and later in a diluted vinegar bath but the smell is still there.

So bottom line, I am stuck with a smelly hammock. I am not faulting anyone but myself. But for futures buyers on this forum, if something seems the least bit out of line when making a purchase, it might be best to cancel it and find another seller.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    You say it's your fault but really it is the fault of the seller as they falsely advertised "no funky odor"
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Did the box look like it got wet in shipment? We had the UPS guy drop off a package on our front door step just before a rain storm. By the time we realized there was a box outside it was soaked and some of the contents damp. It doesn't take long for that mildew smell to come on.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Also did you get in touch with the seller? I don't know him personally, but over the years at BPL he has been a pretty upstanding guy, just sayin'.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Did you contact the seller of the hammock via PM to discuss the issue? If not you should do so immediately.

Also I assume you paid via PP not using the gift option. If so and seller does not make it right then you have to option to dispute the issue.

If you have done all of the above and still have not reached resolution please contact me via PM with all the information including the message string and copies of any PM's you sent. While HF will not get your $ back we do track things like bad sales and if enough complaints are filed against an individual we do remove their right to sell in the forums.

I am going to close this thread so it does not become a battle ground. I would strongly encourage you to follow the steps I have listed above in order to get work it out with the seller or to recoup your $
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts