Fabric Material and Width for Comfort

Most comfortable material to hang on in your opinion? I don't know anything about the different available materials.

I hear some are stretchier and some more ridig and depending on their weight (oz's) and single layer vs double layer? What is your opinion on stretchiness vs rigidness for comfort, weights and single layer vs double layer for comfort (I'm 5 foot 11.25 inches, 155 lbs)

And I see everyone talking about this Hexon material, how does it vary compared to the other materials?

Also hammock width, dutch hammocks seem to be 58" in width, what do you think about a wider hammock (like 72"), I guess they give a flatter lie which seems to be desirable but is it actually? Is the hammock not then becoming more like a bed? I imagine it reaches diminishing returns eventually. What about a hammock makes it so much more comfortable than a bed? And what are your opinions on width for comfort?

Humid climates require more breathable hammock material to reduce condensagtion, right? What materials are good for this, how pertinent is it? I will be camping in a relative humidity of 70-80% in Jamaica and other tropical areas.
    Last edited by comfyHanger; 12-22-2015 at 15:50.

I made two out of polyd and while they are comfortable, I liked my cheap nylon hammock from walmart better. My next hammock will probably be made of something streticher. It's all personal preference though. As for single vs double layer, I suggest a single layer. Double layers are for added strength but most lightweight fabrics can hold 250. As for width, I think the wider the better but fabrics only come so wide. Most of the debate is on length. Is longer better? I have a 10 and 11 foot and don't notice the difference. You just have to test everything out and see for yourself.

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    blinged out SF
    Insulation
    hg o deg +2 uq tq
    Suspension
    straps and buckels
    HEY all,
    Does anybody know what material is the walmart hammock made of,my wife really likes it and I want something nicer but similar feeling material for her,she does not like the feel of my XLC for some reason

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Stretchy material will impact the shape of the hammock under you. Aka it will sag more, kind of like a soft mattress. So this is personal preference. I used to be ll about weight, using 1.1oz per sq yard material, but have found I'm much more comfortable with 1.6/1.7 material. There can be some differences based on weave, but I don't think they are that significant.

As for width, in my experience it doesn't have a huge impact. The biggest thing is in a hammock without a bug net or foot box it lets you lay the same as one with those features, because theres extra material to keep you in the hammock, and not falling off the edge. However, its a lot more weight. I would prefer a hammock with attached bug net over a wider hammock. I haven't used a wider hammock with attached net however, so can't comment on that.

Double layers are mostly either for added weight rating, or for the ability to put a pad between the layers to help mitigate slippage.

Any hammock material that isn't waterproof will be fine. Aka don't get a hammock made from silnylon.

Hammock
    90' Hammock Tent, WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba, DIY
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, EE 30F TQ
    Suspension
    UCR, Mule tape
    Images
    The polyD 1.4 material in my Dutchware hammock is great! Soft material with no stretch.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I just made a HyperD hammock that uses the 72" wide material. It is huge, but super comfortable, nice feeling material, and it is just stretchy enough to help conform to my shape without being too saggy.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Images
    I really liked my PolyD hammock.
    I think my Hexon might be even better but I think I'd have to have them hung side by side to really tell the difference.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Love the 1.6 in the Hyper D fabric. Dutch carries it and Papa Smurf over at Dream Hammocks is making them with 72" widths. I have a ton of Hammocks but like my 72" Roaming Gnome in the 1.6.

• + New Posts