WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    HYOH. Use what you can, and be inventive. That's how 100% of the canon of this forum was developed. There has been a lot of trial and error on this forum and others, and there is a general consensus of what works and what doesn't. But, that doesn't mean you can't experiment, or make do with what you have. I was fortunate enough to be young and well employed when hammocking struck me, but I've had plenty of times in life where the opposite was true and I had to make do with a shoe string budget and only one shoe. I find, as they say, necessity is the mother of invention.

GL nitrousstone.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    When I first started hanging I used paracord for my tarp Ridgeline but every morning my tarp was all droopy. I still used it till I could upgrade so, as others have said, make do with what you have, for now. My biggest issue with using paracord in my suspension would be that because of the stretch, the hang would change through the night and leave me less comfortable. Of course it's still better than being on the ground but I don't like to settle if I don't have to, and I don't have to. It's still fun to play around and test gear options and limits though, so have fun with it.

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Oh, and a free source of tree straps... car breakers... seat belt webbing (or pay your local fire station a visit, they practise on wreckers all the time).
    Wow! Thanks for posting this! What a great idea for 2" straps. I wonder if seatbelts are generally nylon or poly?
    I'm thinking nylon so that there is a small amount of dynamic give during collisions.
    Does anybody have experience with this? Either way next time I pull a part at a junkyard for my civic I am grabbin a few straps! I have been wanting to move up to 2" for a while anyway. I love me some trees.
    “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousstone View Post
    I am curious about the stretch of two strands side by side. Yes 1 strand will stretch a lot for 550/lbs of force, but 1100 because i have two connecting to my hammock shoukdnt stretch as much right?
    Just so you know, you don't have 1100lbs of breaking strength. Your breaking strength goes down by 30-50% (depending on who you ask) when you put a knot in it.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockw3rk View Post
    I wonder if seatbelts are generally nylon or poly?
    I'm thinking nylon so that there is a small amount of dynamic give during collisions..
    Indeed they are, good thinkage Batman! Although the stretch isn't too dramatic for hanging a hammock... massively over specc'ed. (not one for the lightweight camper)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockw3rk View Post
    ...Hey, at least we still have 90 mph tape (also known as gaffers tape)...
    For the record, "90 mph tape" and gaffers tape are not the same thing. Gaffers tape has considerably lower adhesive strength and is made to leave little or no residue on removal.

Hammock
    90' Hammock Tent, WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba, DIY
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, EE 30F TQ
    Suspension
    UCR, Mule tape
    Images
    The other thing to keep in mind is that car seat belt material is heavy (for us gram-conscious geeks) and bulky to pack up (unless you roll it into a tight roll when packing up your hammock.

Hammock
    90' Hammock Tent, WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba, DIY
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, EE 30F TQ
    Suspension
    UCR, Mule tape
    Images
    Have you thought about 1" Mule Tape. For people that live in North America, it is available at Lowes and Home Depot. It is light, packs down easily, cheap and great for tree straps. You could still double it, knot it every 6", like you are doing with your paracord, and have a better, more tree-friendly tree strap system

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing 10.5ft
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirenobie View Post
    Have you thought about 1" Mule Tape. For people that live in North America, it is available at Lowes and Home Depot. It is light, packs down easily, cheap and great for tree straps. You could still double it, knot it every 6", like you are doing with your paracord, and have a better, more tree-friendly tree strap system
    What's the difference in specs as far as weight and strength go? That stuff looks legit

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ- Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Oh, and a free source of tree straps... car breakers... seat belt webbing (or pay your local fire station a visit, they practise on wreckers all the time).

Another good source of webbing is child car seats. They have expiration dates on those now and a lot of thrift stores won't them so you can usually find them stacked behind your local Goodwill in the dumpster. I have dismantled a few to get those precious straps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast