Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    I was going to say, Just see my auto-signature, but that is a joke that i hope makes Shug laugh as his videos have always made me laugh, question, contemplate and even sad a few times. When i saw green bean rip or when Carolina Backpacker fell at the gorge, my heart sank. The ability to make us feel something is what keeps me going back to the videos. I've watched probably every video 2-3 times now. Most of the others on youtube doing reviews or testing the lastest stove burn times.....i just can't stomach to watch.

It is all about his showman ship. When i watch i video, it is like he is talking directly at me, to me even. Hell i even find myself answering him when he asks a question....and my wife will just stare at me a laugh. And with all thats happened to me in the last year from being rush to the hospital, being on disability, getting healthier and recovering, losing 51lbs (still amazed i did that), his videos kept me in good spirits. Kept reminding me i can go out and do these things. Reminding me i need to make the time as no one else will make it for me. now maybe it was coming close to dying, or maybe i'm a sucker as I'm originally from Duluth, MN, but if Shug's posting a video, then i can guarantee i will watch it. Multiple times.

Heck before i ever joined the hammock forums, Shug had answered alot of my questions via the comment section on youtube. My family all knows when i'm watching another Shug video. Even my girls repeat my lame attempt at sounding like Shug when hanging their hammocks....."On de knot not on de toggle".

Shug has made me a better "hammocker".....is that a word?? But primarily he entertains my spirit.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    Eno single nest
    Tarp
    Nube 2.0
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 40
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Honestly when I first started looking at hammocks I started doing the Google thing looking for tips and advice. I stumbled into his videos and have been hooked every since. I think my ex wife thought I was crazy for watching hours of videos of someone hiking or talking about hammocks. Oh well it is my new addiction and I keep adding to my gear. As far as Shug's videos I haven't found anything else near as entertaining and informative as his stuff. I literally watched all of the foothills videos he posted yesterday at work (I had some down time I swear). Oh and she isn't the ex because of my hammock and backpacking addiction, well at least I don't think that was it, I was too busy watching Shug's stuff when she left

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    For me, Shug's videos were/are the gateway drug that lead me to hammock bliss and motivated me to cut my pack weight by 2/3. My ankles, knees and back thank him every time I go on a trip. My wallet is a little salty over it but money is for spending afterall.

I'm hoping to make it up to the Minnesota State Fair one day before he hangs up the unicycle. I think I owe him a lunch of the finest fair food available.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Enigma
    Suspension
    Hybrid Straps, BH
    Shug was my first introduction to hammocking earlier this year. So glad I randomly came upon his YT page. I was actually researching some equipment for an AT section hike - and BOOM, there was Shug. It was actually his videos that also led me to HF. Now, 2 hammocks, top quilt, bottom quilt, whoopies, Dutch bling, straps, new pack, etc...and many dollars later - I have a serious problem.
    RB
    https://lighterpack.com/r/axwxk6

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly w/ hw
    Insulation
    Exped mat
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Images
    Shug! Thank you!
    That I'm a hammock camper is because of you. Also I'm here at hammockforums lurking because of you.
    Your vid's are very inspiring! The have made me want to get out there even more, just enjoying nature, no matter what weather. Hammock camping isn't yet a big deal in Sweden and thus this forum and your videos are my primary sources for inspiration and knowledge.

I'm now a proud owner of a wbbb xlc and I love the feeling of freedom. Waking up in the morning feeling gusts of wind in my face is the best feeling!

And now the best seasons for being outdoor starts. Can't wait to get out there!

ps. you also made me explore bluegrass.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Like the many before me, Shug is (in part) the reason I am a hanger today. This past winter, I was looking up videos for tips on winter backpacking, stumbled across his -40 degree trip report video, and it was all over after that. Or I should say: that was the beginning of me embracing the idea of the hammock life. Since then, his demonstrations and feedback of numerous products have helped me to better fine tune my backpacking setup.

Fast forward a few months, and now I'm making a point of it to shoot more videos while out on hikes because I've realized (after watching so many of his videos) that the pictures just simply don't do the trip reports justice. This has led to my most recent gear purchase. Finally picked up an Ultrapod II so I can mount the camera to one of my trekking poles and anything else that I may end up needing to use as a camera stand while out on the trail.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have to say, his videos have definitely taught me, but this thread itself got me going down another track. I saw a bunch of his hammock videos and they were helpful. Then, I read this thread and learned he had stove videos and lots of stoves. That has become my new hobby in the last couple weeks. I made a DIY alcohol stove and windscreen, bought fuel and got a new cooking pot. I like my JetBoil, but if not for his videos and this thread talking about them, I never would've got much into this camp cooking thing. Shug has definitely indirectly made hammock people and stove people and others a lot of $ by helping sell their products (without actually trying).

I'm thru hiking the At this spring: I was going to use a light trekking pole supported tent. Almost entirely due to shug I am now hanging in a blackbird xlc

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    DW Beetle-Buckles
    Longtime tent camper here...I know a couple folks who have used hammocks for a number of years, but I never gave it much thought - until Shug. I stumbled upon his Youtube channel and I finally understood all the fuss.

Watching Shug do his thing will:

1. Make you want to take a trip to the Linville Gorge, Superior Hiking Trail, or other Shug haunts.

2. Give you the urge to bring water to a boil, and comment on it doing so. "I got a good boil going here...umm-hmm..."

3. Have you sweep your local grocery stores seeking Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso - and scouring the interwebs for Coffee Crisp, Toggi Wafers, and After Eight Hot Chocolate.

Thanks for the motivation Mr. Emery...

Making my own cook stove

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast