Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Optimum length for tree straps

What are opinions on the optimum length for tree straps, especially if I make them different lengths? I am currently using a pair of 8' straps, and have found that with a marlin spike knot, I can usually connect them directly to the continuous loops at the end of the hammock and not even use the whoopie slings. I often have a lot of strap unused. Sometimes I do find that if one of the trees is a little larger, though, one of the straps is not quite long enough to do this and I have to break out the whoopies. Generally, I don't find two larger trees - perhaps because larger trees tend to grow further apart? I wonder if there might not be a more optimal length for straps, perhaps one strap longer than the other. Perhaps 6' and 10'? Any suggestions from experience? Plus, as the strap material comes in 25' increments, any ideas that avoid waste i.e maybe also short straps to save weight when I am do use the whoopies?

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I find it location defendant. In the Northeast, where I do my hiking, I go with 2, 3' straps with sewn in Dutch clips. If I am struggling to find the right diameter of tree or distance between trees I can simply use the amsteel (speed hook or whoopie hook system) to rife in the Dutch clip and make up the gap.

Best wishes.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers

Optimum length for tree straps

Keep in mind, that the longer the strap ( assumes the further the trees are apart), the higher on the tree they will need to be to get close to the 30 degree optimum angle. If you do the math, 110in for the hammock length 192in for 2, 8ft tree straps. That's 302in between 2 trees (25 feet). That would put those straps about 9ft off the ground..... You will still need 2 trees about 16-18 feet apart, which would require 45in per side of strap (4 feet) plus some to wrap around the trunk and adjustability. 6-8 ft straps are plenty. 10-12 will allow you hang almost anywhere with no whoopie sling required...
    Last edited by FJRpilot; 12-20-2015 at 12:02.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In MI, I use a 6' and an 8'. I've found this to be a great combo. Only once have I needed to use an extender to make my hang work.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Downy goodness
    Suspension
    webbing
    Wrapping around the tree more than once helps to better protect the bark on soft barked trees like redwoods. How wide are your straps?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I started out with 10 ft. straps, but have since settled on four foot straps. Here in the Northeast, they cut down darn near every tree in sight about a century ago, and all the trees are young now. I carry Amsteel continuous loops to extend my tree straps, on the rare occasion they're necessary.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Same question for me... Anyone with experience in Serra Mountains. Would 8 foot straps be the best length? Seems like Yosemite trees are a bit thick...

Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    If I am struggling to find the right diameter of tree or distance between trees I can simply use the amsteel (speed hook or whoopie hook system) to rife in the Dutch clip and make up the gap.
    Any issues with the Dutch clips being on the amsteel instead of the strap? I have the regular Dutch clips and had actually wondered if I could do that if I had a strap that was too short.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    No issues at all. In talking with Dutch a bit ago about it he actually designed them to be used just that way.

I think he just got lucky and it worked good personally
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Keep in mind, that the longer the strap ( assumes the further the trees are apart), the higher on the tree they will need to be to get close to the 30 degree optimum angle. If you do the math, 110in for the hammock length 192in for 2, 8ft tree straps. That's 302in between 2 trees (25 feet). That would put those straps about 9ft off the ground..... You will still need 2 trees about 16-18 feet apart, which would require 45in per side of strap (4 feet) plus some to wrap around the trunk and adjustability. 6-8 ft straps are plenty. 10-12 will allow you hang almost anywhere with no whoopie sling required...
    Thanks. I am not trying to hang between trees further apart, and if I need to, I do have whoopies. It was more an observation that I usually don't need the whoopies when trees are appropriately close together except sometimes one straps are a bit too short. I am in the NE so the trees are not that big, but I often still get a tree that is 2 ft in diameter or a little bigger - I just went outside and measured a few in the yard around that size. A 2 ft diameter tree has a circumference of a little over 6 ft, so,that is why I am having a problem - 6+ ft around the tree plus some strap for the knot leaves me hanging pretty close to the tree with 8 ft straps wo the whoopies. At the other end, the tree is going to be less than a ft in diameter, so only about 3 ft of strap going around the tree at most, so extra strap hanging unused.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast