Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    RevTQ/IncubatorUQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Buckles

UQ Planning... HELP!

I know I have discussed this already with some of you. I had gone back to the drawing board and have been doing my research. Still I need some help guys. I am asking for the experience of the masses to help.

I played around with CatSplat's UQ calculator. I watched Dubber's video's probably on UQ and TQ a dozen times each. Looked at the Red River Gorge ideas... I have gone though HitchHiking's Karo step a couple of times too. Also liked GidgetGirl's photo essay. Plus many more, I want to thank all of you people.

Some things that I have decided:

I would like a wider UQ (50")
    I have tried to weigh in my mind the Karo VS Normal length wise baffles. I have decided that weighing out the down for each, doesn't sound like fun!
    I am thinking about 10 oz of 850 FP will end up in this quilt, looking at either 2" or 2.5" (open to your ideas)
    Fabric and Down (16oz) are purchased. Need to finalize my design.

I have some Questions...
    1) To get the loft (differentiated) for the UQ ... How do I do this for Karo? I have seen plenty of posts for "regular" baffles.. not so much on Karo.
    2) Sewn in channels VS grosgrain . Other than less weight, is there better friction with the ribbon to hold the UQ in place?
    3) I'm looking at an 8" x 9" design for my Karo step... trying to base that off several other posts. Good idea?

Again, searching out the advice of much more experienced DIY'ers . Feel sometimes I am over thinking these ideas. BUT then again... that's what makes a good final product. A good plan well executed!!

Thanks in advance

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    To address your second question:

Sewn-in channels worked great on my DIY quilt. I also followed GidgetGirl's photo essay to much success. When making another UQ in the future (girlfriend wants to hang too!), I'll do the same.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    In regard to using grosgrain versus sewn in channels...
    I have not built any quilts using sewn channels, so I cannot give advice with them. However, one thing to consider with grosgrain is that there is a very wide spectrum of quality and makeup of grosgrain. Grosgrain may provide better friction in some instances, but it may not always be a good thing.
    If you wind up using a stiff grosgrain on the end channels, it could easily interfere with "bunching" and you might have problems getting a snug fit. Sometimes less friction can also provide easier adjustments.

I've done a few underquilts, using grosgrain in all of them so far. I did encounter some issues with getting a good snug fit on the ends when using a stiffer grosgrain with one build. When and if I have another to build, I'll likely attempt "softer" grosgrain side channels and sewn in end channels.

Good luck with your build and hope you'll find time to share your thought and some pics.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    RevTQ/IncubatorUQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Buckles
    I am thinking of doing grosgrain on the sides and sewn channels along the end. I have seen some examples of that along the way and I think it might have the advantages for adjustability I'm looking for.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    RevTQ/IncubatorUQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Buckles
    Step one today... Materials came in the mail!!
    1 lb of 850 FB DownLinens.com

RSBTR = .9 Illume15Black and 1.0 HyperD Olive Brown with Blaze Orange Gutermann

IMG_2116.jpg

• + New Posts