Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Tree Strap

WI Peeps - What Quilts are You Using??!!

I have been lurking in the shadows of this forum for a while now and finally decided to join yesterday. I am in the market to buy my first quilt/quilts. I have a WBBB double and a WBSF tarp. I have hung overnight only twice, in mid summer with just a sleeping bag, no pad, quilts, etc - and (this will show you how much knowledge I didn't have!) I was shocked by the fact that I was actually a little chilled! I have a few cheap sleeping bags maybe good to 30 and a North Face mummy bag I found at the bottom of a rapids rated to 20 (I think). I don't hike much, although I want to start more; I typically am in a kayak on multi-night river trips during which we camp in the woods along the river - so while I am not concerned about an ounce here and an ounce there, I do like lite and convenient. I am 5'-6". Also, I have a Thermarest Evolite pad with a R value of 2.1 and a Thermarest NeoAir Camper pad with a R value of 2.2. I typically am a 3 season camper but would like to try a cold weather hang in January. I have had a few local peeps bring me up to speed on what they use and I am looking for some more options. I am not sure yet if I am a cold or warm sleeper - at least while in a hammock! So, basically speaking, I am looking for a 'rig' that will work for (4) seasons with minimal gear (meaning maybe only 1 set of quilts to get me through all seasons) and a large temp range...is this even possible?!?! Any recommendations that you all can make would be appreciated! Oh yeah - and I would like to make my decision ASAP :0

Thanks All!!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    For the shoulder seasons early spring or late fall I use a Sheltowee 20 degree (its a hammock with integrated underquilt) and a Hammock Gear 20 degree TQ. Once it starts to get up into June through September I rely on my HG Incubator 40 / HG Burrow 40 combo. Obviously pretty happy with Hammock Gear quilts. Before I could afford all the underquilt goodness, I just laid on top of a hennessey underpad, took a fleece liner I could add on top of or slide into and unzipped my western mountaineering bag as a top quilt. I could generally push that cheap combo from mid may till mid september in normal seasons. I'm also a very warm sleeper. For winter camping I have been test how low I can push the Sheltowee 20 but we've had such a mild winter its hard to get any accuracy. However a lot of people on here use a 20 degree quilt set of some kind as the beginning set as you can push so many different ranges. WIth a little supplement depending on gear you have or what you like, most have successfully pushed their 20 sets down into single digits. Many many threads on here for that sort of experience.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Tree Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    For the shoulder seasons early spring or late fall I use a Sheltowee 20 degree (its a hammock with integrated underquilt) and a Hammock Gear 20 degree TQ. Once it starts to get up into June through September I rely on my HG Incubator 40 / HG Burrow 40 combo. Obviously pretty happy with Hammock Gear quilts. Before I could afford all the underquilt goodness, I just laid on top of a hennessey underpad, took a fleece liner I could add on top of or slide into and unzipped my western mountaineering bag as a top quilt. I could generally push that cheap combo from mid may till mid september in normal seasons. I'm also a very warm sleeper. For winter camping I have been test how low I can push the Sheltowee 20 but we've had such a mild winter its hard to get any accuracy. However a lot of people on here use a 20 degree quilt set of some kind as the beginning set as you can push so many different ranges. WIth a little supplement depending on gear you have or what you like, most have successfully pushed their 20 sets down into single digits. Many many threads on here for that sort of experience.
    I know you commented on my intro post too, so thank you for all of your time and effort! So, with the research I have done, I have so far narrowed down my search to Arrowhead Equip, Jacks R Better and Hg - but I haven't picked any particular product from any of them yet. I assume a 20 deg UQ could also be used June-September if it's vented/not tight, correct?

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I have Underground Quilts 0 degree top and bottom quilts. They are too warm for summer, and I have to vent a lot, but since I can't afford another set just yet, I make it work. They are just fine for all but the hottest months, and even then they aren't miserable. I have been told that I should have gotten 20 degree quilts and supplemented for the winter with pads, but I wanted an all-year setup too, just for simplicity. Shug has a lot of videos discussing what he uses in different temps. Have you checked them out?
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    No trouble at all. Those three vendors are the usual suspects for the majority. Any one of them is superb, you couldn't go wrong. It'll just come down to nitpicking over personal preference. I have definitely pushed my 20 degree UQ setup in june and september without overheating. I find in July, August, if I can actually take the bug horde that year, I never needed much more than my hennessey underpad. For my sleeping comfort it became much more vital to get the lower temp TQ (Burrow 40) than a lower temp UQ. My last piece was the 40 degree incubator which was more for being packable than the underpad and almost the same weight. And you don't have to worry about slippage and the like, the UQ generally just locks in there. I'm considering a phoenix 40 to drop even more weight (I'm primarily a backpacker) but not sure I'd like a 3/4. Seems like more fiddling to keep it in the sweet spot but then a lot of the guru's (like Shug) swear by them.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Tree Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Shroud View Post
    I have Underground Quilts 0 degree top and bottom quilts. They are too warm for summer, and I have to vent a lot, but since I can't afford another set just yet, I make it work. They are just fine for all but the hottest months, and even then they aren't miserable. I have been told that I should have gotten 20 degree quilts and supplemented for the winter with pads, but I wanted an all-year setup too, just for simplicity. Shug has a lot of videos discussing what he uses in different temps. Have you checked them out?
    Thanks for the info. I haven't look into UGQ yet but I will. Yes I have checked out Shug! I got a lot of info from him, but I haven't seen a vid specific to what quilt(s) to use and when. I am sure I will get to them - he has a lot of info out there! I haven't tried the (2) pads I have with my hammock yet, so I don't know if I will like it (I see some do and some don't). That is some of the issue I am having in deciding what route to go - I am not sure how what I already have will work because I don't have a ton of experience with it. Maybe I could get away with 20 deg quilts and use a pad that I already have and be fine - not sure, nor am I sure if I will like the pad in the hammock (I know I liked them on the ground). So that is just one of my many hang-ups! Then - does a person get a 3/4 or full length - or will that be somewhat determined by if I use a sleeping pad or not?!?! Questions questions questions! I know that I want to carry minimal gear, and while weight is a concern, it's not priority. I would rather have some extra ounces and sleep awesome.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Tree Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    No trouble at all. Those three vendors are the usual suspects for the majority. Any one of them is superb, you couldn't go wrong. It'll just come down to nitpicking over personal preference. I have definitely pushed my 20 degree UQ setup in june and september without overheating. I find in July, August, if I can actually take the bug horde that year, I never needed much more than my hennessey underpad. For my sleeping comfort it became much more vital to get the lower temp TQ (Burrow 40) than a lower temp UQ. My last piece was the 40 degree incubator which was more for being packable than the underpad and almost the same weight. And you don't have to worry about slippage and the like, the UQ generally just locks in there. I'm considering a phoenix 40 to drop even more weight (I'm primarily a backpacker) but not sure I'd like a 3/4. Seems like more fiddling to keep it in the sweet spot but then a lot of the guru's (like Shug) swear by them.
    So based on your comment about being unsure about a 3/4 length UQ, are you saying thus far you have used full length? I am short at 5'-6" ish but I have broad shoulders, large thighs, etc ( I used to work out a lot) - and for what it's worth I am mostly a side sleeper and I do toss and turn a bit. I want to be sure I invest in a set that is big enough both in length and width. I looked at a video of the Arrowhead Equip and it looks pretty wide, so that caught my eye right away. I have contacted all (3) vendors so I am anxious to see what they say

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I agree that extra weight is worth it if I am more comfortable at camp. I went with full length so I don't have to worry about an extra pad or something for my feet if they get cold. I'm just always covered bead to toe. I'm about 5'10", and the full length are great for full coverage even if I wiggle around. I'm also a very cold sleeper, so I like to err on the side of extra warmth. The only pad I ever used was actually just a reflectix wind shield protector inside of a fleece sleeping bag liner. Actually worked well. Did shift around a bit, though.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Aye, only full length so far. I'm sure it's just psychological thing especially, since I'm a warm sleeper, but something about having my feet exposed. If you ended up going Hammock Gear you could probably go a full length but order a short at 72" (and decide against a 3/4) which would save a little packable/weight. I'm exactly 6' and considered it but thought I should play it safe. At 78" that's an extra 6" to play with so at 5'6" you could go a short/wide and have the same play room. I started with a standard 50" on my 20 degree and went wide on the 40. I'm broad shouldered cave dweller as well so that extra 5" really made a difference and was worth it to me for tucking in.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I'm not pushing HG by the way just my preferred vendor so using their specs as an example. I'm sure the other vendors have similar sizing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast