Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comfortable Tropical Hammock System. Unlimited Budget

I plan on living in a camping hammock full time in Port Antonio, Jamaica, and temperatures can get as low as 65 F with average wind speeds of 7.5 miles/hr. Port Antonio Weather Statistics

I want to get the most comfortable system I can get, money is no object.

I think an underquilt is necessary at these temperatures. What do you think? I think complete bug net is 100% necessary. What about insulation on top? Just a blanket? An overcover or top quilt is seeming like a nicer option now though. What do you think? Contrast them.

Durability I think should also be an important category because I will be in a foreign country. Double layer then over single? Or does it not really matter because of the UQ? Double holds more wight so then might it be slightly more comfortable?

120 inches of rain per year so will need tarp. Can tarp be used as top insulation? What do you think is best top insulation?

What do you think is the best hammock system to buy for comfort, durability, then weight.

I'm also vegan so would really like for the UQ, TQ, etc. to be vegan. What are my options here? Contrast them to down.

I'm 5' 11.26 inches / 181cm. 155lbs
    Last edited by comfyHanger; 12-17-2015 at 13:16.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    comfyHanger
    Vegetarians are tasty!
    After reading your post, I thought about down as a warmer insulation than synthetics, but after thinking for a minute more; you said it's not too cold and there is lots of rain. And aren't you hammock camping for an extended time. Synthetic insulation will be best to cope with moisture. There are vendors listed in Hammock Forums that make synthetic under quilts and top quilts.
    You will want a large tarp with doors to help keep you and your rig dry.
    For comfort get a hammock 11 feet long or even 12 feet long. If set up in one place you might want a 12, but if hiking- carrying your gear- 11footer would be easier to carry. If you go with a 12footer then your tarp would have to be larger for the extra length and the rain.
    Watch Shug's ten part videos on How to hang a hammock, tarp insulation etc.
    Go to a group hang in your area to learn more about hammock camping.
    And be careful in Jamaica--as there are parts of Jamaica where rule of law does not enter into the equation. The engaging Jamaican accent might not be so pleasant when you are looking the wrong way down the barrel of a gun and you hear "Hey mon, give me your money, mon".
    Even so, Jamaican English is fun for me to hear. Good luck comfyHanger.
    And remember a trip report with pictures and videos complete with authentic Jamaican English will be a big hit here on Hammock Forums!

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    if i were to update my jungle hammock i'd give serious consideration to a warbbonnet blackbird XLC
    The only thing i'm not sure about on the xlc is wether your head or feet can touch the bugnet easily

a more traditional jungle set up would be a normal (11ft) hammock hung inside a large bugnet that closes at the bottom, which would stop you getting bitten from underneath.....this style makes treatments like permathrin less important, ideal for longer term use imo

Tarp wise, super fly from warbonnet is probably what will get the most votes. But if weight isnt an issue a large strong square tarp might suit you better (i'v never once wished for doors on a tarp in the tropics...maybe different on an island though)

DD hammocks make a good synthetic under quilt

Hammock
    NX-250
    Take a look at the different models of Clark hammocks. I used my NX-250 in Puerto Rico with only an Ozark Trails 32 deg. synthetic bag. Very small bag, compressed to the size of a half loaf of bread. Clark beds are breathable and mosquito proof. Very comfortable and durable. I slept in this hammock every night for over a year until I had to move back to a bed for domestic relation reasons,lol. The TX-270 (Tropical model) with a Vertex tarp and a sleeping bag for insulation are all that I would take to Jamaica. Keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON_ORR View Post
    Take a look at the different models of Clark hammocks. I used my NX-250 in Puerto Rico with only an Ozark Trails 32 deg. synthetic bag. Very small bag, compressed to the size of a half loaf of bread. Clark beds are breathable and mosquito proof. Very comfortable and durable. I slept in this hammock every night for over a year until I had to move back to a bed for domestic relation reasons,lol. The TX-270 (Tropical model) with a Vertex tarp and a sleeping bag for insulation are all that I would take to Jamaica. Keep it simple.
    Do they have a nice asym lie?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    comfyHanger
    Vegetarians are tasty!
    After reading your post, I thought about down as a warmer insulation than synthetics, but after thinking for a minute more; you said it's not too cold and there is lots of rain. And aren't you hammock camping for an extended time. Synthetic insulation will be best to cope with moisture. There are vendors listed in Hammock Forums that make synthetic under quilts and top quilts.
    You will want a large tarp with doors to help keep you and your rig dry.
    For comfort get a hammock 11 feet long or even 12 feet long. If set up in one place you might want a 12, but if hiking- carrying your gear- 11footer would be easier to carry. If you go with a 12footer then your tarp would have to be larger for the extra length and the rain.
    Watch Shug's ten part videos on How to hang a hammock, tarp insulation etc.
    Go to a group hang in your area to learn more about hammock camping.
    And be careful in Jamaica--as there are parts of Jamaica where rule of law does not enter into the equation. The engaging Jamaican accent might not be so pleasant when you are looking the wrong way down the barrel of a gun and you hear "Hey mon, give me your money, mon".
    Even so, Jamaican English is fun for me to hear. Good luck comfyHanger.
    And remember a trip report with pictures and videos complete with authentic Jamaican English will be a big hit here on Hammock Forums!
    What do you think is the difference between the 12ft and an 11ft hammock? How much more comfortable is 12? They have built in bug nets right? But do any have detachable ones? The idea of wight doesn't bother me too much. I'm 5' 11.26 inches / 181cm. 155lbs

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by comfyHanger View Post
    I plan on living in a camping hammock full time in Port Antonio, Jamaica
    What do you mean by that - will you stay put in one place? Or are you going to move around in that area? If you are planning to stay in one place, you could simply buy something like a Brazilian hammock locally. I don't know if hammocks are a part of Jamaican culture, though.

I want to get the most comfortable system I can get
    Don't we all. Unfortunately a hammock that is comfortable for one person can be uncomfortable for another one. I hope you have some time left before you go, because the only way to find the most comfortable hammock is to try different hammocks. If you can, visit a hang in your area to see different set-ups and maybe even test one or two hammocks.

I think an underquilt is necessary at these temperatures. What do you think?
    That depends on your metabolism. I would certainly need insulation. But I would even at temps of 100°F... Still, an underquilt is a good idea, especially if money is no object.

I think complete bug net is 100% necessary.
    If there are mosquitos, then yes, get a bug net.

What about insulation on top? Just a blanket? An overcover or top quilt is seeming like a nicer option now though. What do you think? Contrast them.
    Again, that depends on you. I never travel anywhere (not even when staying in hotels) without my down sleeping bag. I've been cold too many times, and I hate being cold. I would think it's a good idea to take at least a blanket and a better idea to get a top quilt or sleeping bag. Especially if you don't have to carry your gear it's better to have and not need it than the other way round.

A top cover is no replacement for a blanket or top quilt. A top cover will only keep the warm air in your hammock. It's like a double walled tent. Would you sleep in a tent without additional insulation? If not, get some insulation to use on top.

Durability I think should also be an important category because I will be in a foreign country. Double layer then over single? Or does it not really matter because of the UQ? Double holds more wight so then might it be slightly more comfortable?
    Unless you go with a very lightweight fabric (like 1.0 or 1.1oz), durability should not be much different. If you are rough on your gear, get a very heavy fabric.

Most people only get a double layer hammock because they want to use a pad or need the additional weight capacity (which you don't). But more and/or heavier fabric also changes the lay of the hammock. Many people like to shave weight with a 1.6oz single layer hammock, but for me, any nylon ripstop under 1.9oz is too stretchy to be comfortable. So I only use double layer hammocks. But I also like that I can add more insulation when needed. I often put a piece of Reflectix between the layers to boost the warmth of my underquilt.

If weight is not important and you don't want/need a stretchy hammock, I would say get a double layer hammock. It gives you options. But again it would be wise to test different hammocks before you leave.

120 inches of rain per year so will need tarp. Can tarp be used as top insulation? What do you think is best top insulation?
    A tarp protects you from wind and rain. It doesn't insulate. A hammock (without top cover / sock) plus tarp is comparable to a single walled tent. A hammock with top cover or sock plus tarp is comparable to a double walled tent. Unless you sleep very warm, you'll need a blanket, a top quilt, a sleeping bag or similar insulation on top.

I'm also vegan so would really like for the UQ, TQ, etc. to be vegan. What are my options here? Contrast them down.
    As mentioned, you can get synthetic insulation. Apparently, synthetic copes a bit better with high humidity, although I think that water-resistant down is not really performing any worse. Both will lose warmth when humid. Down is lighter and packs a lot smaller. It's also more durable - synthetic will lose more loft over time. The difference will be greater the more warmth you need. Synthetic can outperform down when used in summer quilts - but the more warmth you need, the better down will be.

What do you think is the difference between the 12ft and an 11ft hammock? How much more comfortable is 12?
    At around 6' you're on the border. You might be just as comfortable in a 10' hammock as in a 11' hammock. A 12' hammock is overkill, in my opinion. I'm 5'4" and I own hammocks from 8' to 14'. My most comfortable camping hammock is slightly under 10', my most comfortable indoor hammock is 11'. I don't really gain more comfort when using even longer hammocks. And from my experience, fabric and hammock design are more important than hammock length. I will never be comfortable in a 1.1oz nylon ripstop hammock, even if it's 15' long. But my 2.6oz 10' hammock is as comfortable as my 2.6oz 11' hammock.

I second the synthetic insulation. I used a down bag to sleep comfortably at temperatures below -20 in the dry southern Rocky Mountains. I shivered all night long trying to sleep in that same down bag at temperatures above 45 degrees on the Oregon coast. The humidity there caused the loft to collapse to about a half inch at best.

Also, in a humid climate, condensation will be a problem. You want your bedding, including the hammock to be able to breathe. Using a waterproof fabric as a top cover is a good idea only if you like wet bedding. Hang the tarp far enough above you to allow air movement -- keep in mind that moisture is likely to condense on the underside of the tarp and you don't want your bedding to touch it when you move in your sleep.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    All I'm going to add is, I would go for a big tarp. I have Wilderness Logics Bullfrog tarp (12') as well as their summer quiltset, the quilt set was fine for me at those temps. The reason for the big tarp is you'll want to cook, dress, etc out of the rain. You want to orient it so that the sides, not the end, is facing the wind the windward side, you'll want to pull low, the lee-ward side hang higher for air circulation. Even with the doors closed I was getting rain blown in until I switched it up. Plus with the doors closed you don't get the air circulation. Other than that, I too recommend hanging the tarp high, at least high enough that you can stand under it while beside the hammock.

Hammock
    diy multicam+5 others
    Tarp
    warbonnet edge
    Insulation
    downny
    Suspension
    stuff and things
    don't think I can touch anymore on the subject.... but, here goes. I would deff want a tarp I could close up for privacy, a top quilt is a must for me year round, get a 40f underquilt (you wont regret it), a set up like the warbonnet traveler and their travel net would work good imho ( I like a separate bug net ), and the best part is you have no budget (much envy there), so get two of everthing

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast