Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    What do you mean by that - will you stay put in one place? Or are you going to move around in that area? If you are planning to stay in one place, you could simply buy something like a Brazilian hammock locally. I don't know if hammocks are a part of Jamaican culture, though.

Don't we all. Unfortunately a hammock that is comfortable for one person can be uncomfortable for another one. I hope you have some time left before you go, because the only way to find the most comfortable hammock is to try different hammocks. If you can, visit a hang in your area to see different set-ups and maybe even test one or two hammocks.

That depends on your metabolism. I would certainly need insulation. But I would even at temps of 100°F... Still, an underquilt is a good idea, especially if money is no object.

If there are mosquitos, then yes, get a bug net.

Again, that depends on you. I never travel anywhere (not even when staying in hotels) without my down sleeping bag. I've been cold too many times, and I hate being cold. I would think it's a good idea to take at least a blanket and a better idea to get a top quilt or sleeping bag. Especially if you don't have to carry your gear it's better to have and not need it than the other way round.

A top cover is no replacement for a blanket or top quilt. A top cover will only keep the warm air in your hammock. It's like a double walled tent. Would you sleep in a tent without additional insulation? If not, get some insulation to use on top.

Unless you go with a very lightweight fabric (like 1.0 or 1.1oz), durability should not be much different. If you are rough on your gear, get a very heavy fabric.

Most people only get a double layer hammock because they want to use a pad or need the additional weight capacity (which you don't). But more and/or heavier fabric also changes the lay of the hammock. Many people like to shave weight with a 1.6oz single layer hammock, but for me, any nylon ripstop under 1.9oz is too stretchy to be comfortable. So I only use double layer hammocks. But I also like that I can add more insulation when needed. I often put a piece of Reflectix between the layers to boost the warmth of my underquilt.

If weight is not important and you don't want/need a stretchy hammock, I would say get a double layer hammock. It gives you options. But again it would be wise to test different hammocks before you leave.

A tarp protects you from wind and rain. It doesn't insulate. A hammock (without top cover / sock) plus tarp is comparable to a single walled tent. A hammock with top cover or sock plus tarp is comparable to a double walled tent. Unless you sleep very warm, you'll need a blanket, a top quilt, a sleeping bag or similar insulation on top.

As mentioned, you can get synthetic insulation. Apparently, synthetic copes a bit better with high humidity, although I think that water-resistant down is not really performing any worse. Both will lose warmth when humid. Down is lighter and packs a lot smaller. It's also more durable - synthetic will lose more loft over time. The difference will be greater the more warmth you need. Synthetic can outperform down when used in summer quilts - but the more warmth you need, the better down will be.

At around 6' you're on the border. You might be just as comfortable in a 10' hammock as in a 11' hammock. A 12' hammock is overkill, in my opinion. I'm 5'4" and I own hammocks from 8' to 14'. My most comfortable camping hammock is slightly under 10', my most comfortable indoor hammock is 11'. I don't really gain more comfort when using even longer hammocks. And from my experience, fabric and hammock design are more important than hammock length. I will never be comfortable in a 1.1oz nylon ripstop hammock, even if it's 15' long. But my 2.6oz 10' hammock is as comfortable as my 2.6oz 11' hammock.
    I imagine sleeping in a Brazilian would get cold underneath at night and an underquilt would be necessary for sleeping at 65 F with 7.5 miles/hour winds, what do you think?

Are there any underquilts and bugnets made for Brazilian/Nicaraguan hammocks? Why would one use one of these hammocks compared to a camping hammock?

I'm planning for sleeping outside in the forest and inside, maybe I should buy 2 different hammocks? Trying to see the differences in environments and how that impacts hammock selection.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by comfyHanger View Post
    I imagine sleeping in a Brazilian would get cold underneath at night and an underquilt would be necessary for sleeping at 65 F with 7.5 miles/hour winds, what do you think?
    Any hammock gets cold. Hammocks are great in hot and humid climates precisely because they do not add any insulation. It depends on you / your metabolism from which temperature on you're going to need insulation. I seem to remember that there are members who said they won't need anything above ~65°F. I would certainly need insulation. If you sleep very warm, an underquilt protector (UQP) might be all you need. But if you want to be on the safe side, get a 3-season underquilt.

Are there any underquilts and bugnets made for Brazilian/Nicaraguan hammocks?
    I don't really know. I haven't had a reason to do research. But since hammocks and mosquitos are part of Central American life, I figure that people are using some form of bug protection. You could always make a simple XXL bug net if you don't find anything.

Why would one use one of these hammocks compared to a camping hammock?
    A lot of people think that those hammocks are the most comfortable ones. They are much larger (length and width), and made from cotton. I certainly have found my Brazilian hammock super comfortable, but I could never get it to work with an underquilt. That is, the underquilt worked as intended, but I felt that it took away the extra comfort by pushing me in a less diagonal direction. But I didn't experiment a lot, because I moved house and there is not enough space where I hang my hammock now. For those reasons I'm now using a heavy ripstop nylon hammock, which works fine with my HG Incubator.

I just mentioned Brazilian hammocks because it might be a cheap and very comfy alternative - but only if it works for you.

I'm planning for sleeping outside in the forest and inside, maybe I should buy 2 different hammocks? Trying to see the differences in environments and how that impacts hammock selection.
    If you are planning to move around, a camping hammock likely is the better choice. It's lighter than a Brazilian and packs down smaller. And with an integrated hammock, you don't need to worry about bugs.

If you find that people are using hammocks where you are travelling, and you still have some space left in your luggage, get one to take home. It might be better quality than what you can get at home - provided you are not buying some crap made for tourists...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Dutch Print USA!
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    I've been using a Clark Jungle Hammock for 6 years in south Florida. Done more summer hangs than I can remember. Absolutely the best gear I've ever owned. I wouldn't consider anything else. (That said I'm about to pull the trigger on warbonnet
    "Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
    -Captain Henry P. Crowe, USMC

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    I've just came back from 2week road trip from the sub tropics to the tropics.
    Coconut palms, seabreezy, insecty, beach hopping on the way north, returning via a hot, dry, ovenlike,
    pesky bushfly ridden inland route.....heat, humidity, rain, sea breezes & insects will be main the issues
    you'll have to deal with.

I just used a single layered Hennessey with fly net for the sandfly's & mosquitoes,
    with a undercover for the coastal seabreezes which will chill you in the early hours.
    A silk liner from sleeping bag as a top quilt, i also took a light, down top quilt but that
    was too hot for the conditions.
    Maybe double up on the silk next time or place inbetween a double layer for added
    insulation...they're light and breathable.
    You'll need a tarp for shade, breeze control or to batten down the hatches. I did go tarpless a couple of times,
    with clear skies with thousands of stars twinkling above, but 12,10 or 8 hrs of darkness/sleep
    does allow enough time for a shower or a storm to roll in....big tropical droplets splattering down on
    you in the darkness, steadily getting heavier, isn't a nice feeling & you don't want to be setting up
    a tarp in a downpour with a headlamp on while your still half asleep.

Every tropical hang will have its own set of natural challenges...away from coast will sometimes be breathless,
    humid & buggy, on the coast, seabreezes & bugs, rainforests with altitude will be wet & cool...a flexible set up
    is the key.

....Oh and don't forget to empty the sand out of your hammock, its abrasive.
    Enjoy your adventure.
    Last edited by ofuros; 01-02-2016 at 17:57.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Oops, touched a wrong button. Ignore this.
    Last edited by ofuros; 01-02-2016 at 16:16.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    I plan on living in a camping hammock full time in Port Antonio, Jamaica, and temperatures can get as low as 65 F with average wind speeds of 7.5 miles/hr. Port Antonio Weather Statistics

I want to get the most comfortable system I can get, money is no object.

I think an underquilt is necessary at these temperatures. What do you think? I think complete bug net is 100% necessary. What about insulation on top? Just a blanket? An overcover or top quilt is seeming like a nicer option now though. What do you think? Contrast them.

Durability I think should also be an important category because I will be in a foreign country. Double layer then over single? Or does it not really matter because of the UQ? Double holds more wight so then might it be slightly more comfortable?

120 inches of rain per year so will need tarp. Can tarp be used as top insulation? What do you think is best top insulation?

What do you think is the best hammock system to buy for comfort, durability, then weight.

I'm also vegan so would really like for the UQ, TQ, etc. to be vegan. What are my options here? Contrast them to down.

I'm 5' 11.26 inches / 181cm. 155lbs
    I agree. I would go with a 40-50 degree synthetic full length underquilt.
    The hammock I would choose is the warbonnet ridge runner that is double layered. That way if you take off the underquilt, the double layer would prevent bugs from biting you from underneath .
    I own both the warbonnet blackbird (Gathered end hammock) and the warbonnet ridgerunner (bridge hammock) and 100% believe the bridge hammock is much more comfortable. I have my gathered end hammocks since they are slightly lighter than the bridge hammock.

For a tarp, I would go with the Cloud burst tarp from warbonnet (because the panel pullouts are located to fit the ridgerunner hammock) . I think a fleece blanket would be good enough. You can't just use a tarp as top insulation.
    Are you backpacking this setup or is it going to be near your house?
    Last edited by climbing.kevin; 01-08-2016 at 09:22.
    My gear load
    lighterpack.com/r/o9iaf

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by climbing.kevin View Post
    I own both the warbonnet blackbird (Gathered end hammock) and the warbonnet ridgerunner (bridge hammock) and 100% believe the bridge hammock is much more comfortable.
    I own the Ridgerunner and the regular Blackbird and find the Blackbird way more comfortable...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12