Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Hammock head end mod

I have been asked about a head end modification.
    The mod shown on the drawing works well for me. It’s the head end and head side.
    What happens is the inside of the hammock is lowered so it forces you a bit outwards towards the edge and gives a flatter lay.
    If you want retain the hammocks edges (I do) its important not to change the length of the side. If you do it will drop down.
    In the drawing the measurement is 2” but you can go higher but be careful not to overdo it. IMO stay below 3”.
    The down side is if you use channels and I do the hem (outer edge) will not be overlapping but it haven’t been a problem for me so far. Could be if you are a heavy guy and if you are sitting on the hammocks edge. I am approx 190lbs BTW.
    Do you benefit from this mod and is it worth doing? IMO yes. I have made it on several hammocks including my current favorite 66” wide x 11.
    Head end.png
    For the most part I end up laying more in the centerline if it’s a hammock without this mod but it’s just me.
    If you have a hammock with a fairly wide channel you can make this mod without ripping everything apart. The one side will do. I have done it several times.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    I am not following the mod...are you folding the top in at an angle and then hemming straight across, thus the potential issue with less stitches at the end? What would this accomplish?

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tightwad View Post
    I am not following the mod...are you folding the top in at an angle and then hemming straight across, thus the potential issue with less stitches at the end? What would this accomplish?
    Yes. The outer line is the finished shape and also the fold line and because of this shape there will be the issue on the edge as I mentioned. The seams on the channel will look just like the outer edge.
    Something to remember is fabric is not stiff so its not as hard to make as it may look.

Head end 2.png
    Last edited by Snowball; 12-15-2015 at 23:57. Reason: DRW
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    If you are unsure this shape is for you or channels isn’t your thing there is another way to do it or test the shape.
    There are methods where you fold the fabric and pull the fabric to get the desired shape but you are not really in control and it may take several tries to get what you want.
    With the alternative method you hem both sides and make the foot end like you want it but do not cut the fabric to length.
    • Draw the desired shape across the fabric. If you are unsure of the shape draw with something you can remove again.
    • Set your thread injector to zigzag and the stitch as wide as it can be.
    • Adjust the upper tread tension so it’s very lose.
    • Find some kind of flexible cord or wire no wider than your machine is able to zigzag over. Some kind of smooth plastic wire you can’t sew through is best.
    • Now lay the wire across the fabric over the line and zigzag over it but DO NOT sew through it!!!!
    • If you have done it correct you can easily gather the fabric and you have the perfect shape you draw before. The fabric will glide freely on the cord. (do not remove the cord while testing)
    • Larks head your suspension around it and test.

If it was a hit cut and hem if not rip the zigzag seam and try again. This is the reason for the lose stitch.

I have used this method before and it works well.
    Live and learn.

Hammock head end mod

I have done a similar mod of the foot end of a 1.1 hammock and agree it helps with a flat lay and less shoulder squeeze.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450367000.994130.jpg

The upper left corner is the foot end and the fold line is marked on there with a silver sharpee. The hammock with said mod is 51" wide and under 10ft in length. I am 6'4" and sleep like a baby in it.

Have you experimented any at all with this mod on both head and foot ends?

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    No, not this shape as i recall
    Live and learn.

Hammock head end mod

I recall people that have tried a "head box" In addition to a foot box but didn't like them for some reason. Just wondering if this would work better.

My pattern was essentially following a gather that I stumbled across when it was whipped. My actual stitch was smoothed out a little more. I like your pattern because I think the long curves would stress the hammock ends more evenly. Whereas mine has a lot of stress on the more steep changes.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    I recall people that have tried a "head box" In addition to a foot box but didn't like them for some reason. Just wondering if this would work better.

My pattern was essentially following a gather that I stumbled across when it was whipped. My actual stitch was smoothed out a little more. I like your pattern because I think the long curves would stress the hammock ends more evenly. Whereas mine has a lot of stress on the more steep changes.
    For some maybe but depending on how the box was made it will create other potential issues.
    If you add a triangle you change the hammock edge and edge will move up and make it difficult to get in and out of the hammock. The seams and fabric around the box have to take all the load when you sit on the edge and in my experience a hammock with two “short edge” don’t work well as a chair.
    IMO it is a better solution seen from a structural point of view because the edge is intact. It does however not mean other mods don’t work.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Thanks for this idea Snowball. I made a slightly modified version of this. SUPER comfy!!

I went 3" on both ends and instead of curving back , I straightened back out at ~6" from the edge. I felt curving back in as in your pic gave me a hard edge that I didn't care for, and running the diagonal all the way out made the edge fall too much. In the first pic, the hammock material is folded in half the other half would just be straight. Left line is cut line, right line is fold line.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Thanks for this idea Snowball. I made a slightly modified version of this. SUPER comfy!!

I went 3" on both ends and instead of curving back , I straightened back out at ~6" from the edge. I felt curving back in as in your pic gave me a hard edge that I didn't care for, and running the diagonal all the way out made the edge fall too much. In the first pic, the hammock material is folded in half the other half would just be straight. Left line is cut line, right line is fold line.
    Glad to hear it works for you
    If you want to lift the edges of the hammock you could make a mod like shown on the picture. Sew the side edges together over the ridge line. Do it in both ends. Test the length of the seam with safety pins first. Try with approx 3” first and see if you like it.
    IMG_20160929_161653.jpg
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast