Hammock
    WBRR, Eno double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Winter Lynx

DOUBLED UP SLEEPING BAGS?

I have sleeping bags (a 30* and a 40* both polyester), and I have not yet tried them yet in the winter. I have used the 30* one in the fall with it opened partway on it's side so it resembles a topquilt with a footbox. Has anyone tried layering sleeping bags? Would the lowest temp rating be improved? If not, what is a budget TQ for winter temps?

I use a spindrift sock on my RR to block wind and raise temp a few degrees inside
    Doctors should prescribe hammocks for stress relief

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Review this thread, especially post #4 for a helpful answer.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=119134
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Layered sleeping bags alot when I got started snow camping and it works great! The bulk is the biggest problem so it just depends on if your carrying them.... If your not to far from your vehicle go for it. As far as a "new temp rating", that's something that can't be calculated... You can get a guesstimate with the math but when you put the bags together you get alot of dead space between the two bags, insulating you as well as the loft of the two bags added together.... I'm a Scoutmaster and I've had plenty of scouts head out snow camping with two 35*F or so bags tucked together and they did just fine down to 15*F with light wind. I've went colder with a couple of 30*F bags that were those older canvas style hunter's bags with the flannel liner, man was that comfy! And even though you are compressing the insulation under your sleeping bag in a hammock, your still gonna be warmer by getting all the way in. That is, unless you start sweating...

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hex's
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco TQ/UQ + sock
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    I only had to do this one time. They were cheapies. I had breathability issues and awoke clammy.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yes, the lower rated temp rating is improved with the 40 on top. IMO, that is a more correct way to look at it rather than calculating a temp rating. To what degree depends on your underneath insulation, and it looks like you're good there. I would probably trust that top insulation to get me as low as your winter Lynx will go.

Unlike UQ's where you can get a syn one for $100 or so that will take you down into the 30s, a little more for into the teens, TQ's tend to be more expensive due to the material involved. You can get a good down TQ for not too much more than a syn one. About the best price for a 20 degree TQ is the synthetic Enlightened Equipment Prodigy at about $185. Numerous makes of down quilts in the $230-275 range. Could probably pickup a 10-15 degree bag on clearance somewhere for $150 or less, but you'll be happier with the TQ.

You could wait for someone to sell one here, but resale prices tend to stay pretty high.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    The military sleep system does just that. You have a 40* bag with a colder weather bag nested inside of it.

Hammock
    yukon outfitters w/ net
    Tarp
    Paha Que double
    Insulation
    50 degree sleeping
    Suspension
    dutch w/ cinch
    ive done it had an abnormally cold night in october it got down to 27f and i put a 50 degree bag inside a 50 degree bag plus my UQ underneath and an adventure blanket ontop worked pretty good, feet got chilly in the morning but wasnt too bad.

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Tarp
    Etowah, UST Hex
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by punkisdead View Post
    The military sleep system does just that. You have a 40* bag with a colder weather bag nested inside of it.
    The MSS bags are warm for sure!, I just hate hauling em I cant wait to grab a TQ

Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    Images
    I tested my hammock down to 14* and froze my butt off. Had to come inside because I started shivering after two hours. All I had underneath was a PLUQ with a silver windshield screen and a Costco quilt. I was sleeping in a 20* mummy bag because I get hot. I also put a fleece blanket over the ridgeline to create a bear cave that raises the temperature inside 20* every time I use it. The next week it went down to 6* and I removed the quilt and added a 30* bag on top of my PLUQ and put a blue mat under my 0* mummy bag. I was so hot in my cave that I had to roll my sleeves up and I never rolled them down. I also didn't have to put on any head gear like I usually do. This isn't a pack out type of load but it worked on my deck and proved my theories.

• + New Posts