Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Tom's Bat Hammock

Has anyone used the Bat Hammock from Mosquito Hammocks? I imagine it would be kind of a pain to hoist yourself up and down all the time, but what a fun concept.

At first I thought "hey, it be fun to hang right above the trail and make people wonder". Then it occurred to me that I would look like a big black piñata hanging in an area with LOTS of big sticks.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this thing yet and if so what were are your opinions?

Images
    If it is the one I am thinking about, my issue was the one tie out right above the hammock. Not too often I see a tree branch going horizontal strong enough to hold my weight.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I had the same thought, but it would make for some great views if you could find one.

I'm also not real sure how you would tarp it and good luck if a nasty storm comes up. I can just imagine being spun around like riding in nature's centrifuge. Still, a fun toy is a fun toy.

Images
    I think you should make one then share it with the rest of us.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, like I'm trusting my skills when it comes to hanging more than 36 inches off the ground! However, I might just buy one; I've got the perfect tree in mind already. If I do, you can bet I'll post my results. Note to self: Make sure insurance in current.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    How many pulleys would you need to lift yourself up, and then, how would you tie it off? I've fallen when my whipping has failed, I would hate to fall much farther than that
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    How many pulleys would you need to lift yourself up, and then, how would you tie it off? I've fallen when my whipping has failed, I would hate to fall much farther than that
    I doubt there would be any need for more than one pulley and I've got a handful of tie off ideas. The site says when you order "We will add a list of rope and pulley and locking gear that will be suitable for this Bat Hammock." So it sounds like a mechanical tie off.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and order it next payday; I'm just too curious. I'll be sure to post some pics of the hammock and any arriving ambulances.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    be sure & fill us in. i 've herd others talk about it, but none that had actually used it that i remember.
    i'd think that you would have some serious shoulder squeeze going on. and if i were going to actually trust it in a storm, i would have to wonder how you keep water from making it's way down the ropes to the hammock.
    but it would still be a neat toy<g>. let us know. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    I've spent all of 20 minutes messing around in a top loading single point suspension hammock. That was more than enough for me. Saw several key flaws that stopped me from forking over the nearly $225. It was set up indoors on a 3 gear hoist block, so ascending and descending required about as much effort as shouldering an average med-wt backpack.

I cannot make comments specific to the Bat Hammock, but I will share a few fundamental flaws of the general design.

Where you decide to ascend a tree must meet 3 crucial criteria:
    -You have to have a branch that can safely hold your weight.
    -Branches above that suspension point, spaced adequately apart and free of foilage not to mention reachable to hang your tarp
    -And a means of securing yourself off below the maximum point on the branch you are suspending from.
    - in even moderate winds you need tag lines to stop from rotating around the single suspension point. Getting tag lines secured once you are high off the ground and sitting in the hammock suspended would be quite a feat.
    - oh almost forgot. definate shoulder pinch issues. I am a side sleeper and the nature of the suspension system made that position
    really uncomfortable in the top loader I tried out. I think spreader bars might improve this problem, but I am speaking only on intuition and guesswork.

I tested a top loader like this indoors only 12-14ft off the floor of the store, and that was enough for me to become very nervous about any serious acrobatcis as required to make this kind of pitch work in less than perfect weather.

If you only used it for one night, in perfect weather, Sleep on your back, have narrow shoulders and really enjoy rides that spin -
    then it might be the perfect hammock :P
    Last edited by turk; 05-26-2007 at 12:49.

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    What we really need is a someone like Hammock Engineer, Blackbishop etc, to buy/make one of these hammocks and get around the major flaws of rain, and weight penalties. I for one am still really interested in the potential of this unique hang. Its just not very practical at present.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast