WBRR, Eno double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Winter Lynx

GEAR STORAGE HAMMOCK DESIGN

Love hammock camping!

My problem:
    More than once, even though I packed my bags tight for the night, I've had critters and bugs getting into my clothes and pack
    One time I was set up on a hill and it POURED. Even though it was under my tarp, pack got soaked from running water.
    It ruined the trip. *

My DIY solution: A GEAR HAMMOCK
    I took an old twin bed sheet, trimmed the length to about 3/5 the original size (roughly 3.5-4ft), gathered the ends and with some spare amsteel and carabiners made a midget hammock. Now when I camp I just clip the gear-hammock's suspension right onto my big hammock's tree straps, and it hangs right below me**. Just toss my pack in there along with a bottle of water and a few other items. I may add some velcro along the edges to seal it up a bit, but that may not be necessary. It provides a safe place for gear with easy access during the night.

*I was inexperienced at the time of the water incident- simply a bad choice of campsites. Nonetheless, my gear hammock would prevent that from happening in the same situation.

**Because the gear-hammock takes up about a foot of space (depending on pack size), I need to hang my big hammock a little higher than normal. I am average height, and it is not difficult to climb into a higher hammock, but not as easy as just sitting down.

Pictures may come soon- depends on if my camera is willing to work in the cold

NOTES:

Thinking of making a mini doggie bridge hammock( for flatter lay) I do not personally have a dog but friends of mine do. His dogs always want to hop inside his hammock, but have ripped the fabric with their claws. Maybe a tougher material like canvas could work. We shall see

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I have a small woven gear hammock that used to hang in the rear berth of my boat. Super light weight, small enough to stuff in a pocket, but large and strong enough to hold a load of gear. I would say it is strong enough to work as a chair, but I don't want to test it.. ;-)

I haven't used it yet but it's been in my mind for a bit. I like the idea of having everything under me, rather than lashed to a tree.

So do you find the gear hammock bangs into the back of your legs when you get in out of the main hammock??

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    My silnylon pack cover doubles as a gear hammock. Suspends under the hammock and above the ground.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Gear hammocks, regardless of design, are great! They have become a staple item any time I hang.
    Remember, they don't necessarily have to hang below you. You could always add a pullout to the GH and keep it pulled it out beside the hammock, rather than underneath. I also picked up another great idea from a fellow forum hanger, hang it at a diagonal. Start one end off the hammock suspension and stake it to the ground. As long as the GH isn't super shallow, it still holds your pack, shoes or whatever else just fine.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    As long as it isent for the backpack you could make a small hammock and hang it from the ridge line in the foot end. Its one of my next projects (made in net).
    gear h.png
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    My silnylon pack cover doubles as a gear hammock. Suspends under the hammock and above the ground.
    I have scene JRB that has one for sale. But would love more instructions (pic or video maybe ) of How you suspend the pack cover? S-Biners? Regular Biners? The line from the Pack Cover? My plan is the same as yours but haven't started the DIY Trial and error. Thanks for any help.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    [QUOTE=Eidson;1554801]Remember, they don't necessarily have to hang below you. You could always add a pullout to the GH and keep it pulled it out beside the hammock, rather than underneath./QUOTE]

That's a good point. I don't use one, but always wondered what kind of ladder people brought along so they could get into their main hammock!

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I made a couple of gear hammocks out of 1.9 ripstop that also doubles as a hammock chair and my daughter appropriately named it a "chammock:. I used amsteel continuous loops through the channels and I'm still trying out different suspensions. Here is the link to my original post that has pics:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=chammock

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Campsite_2_Hammock.JPG

This works well for me. I got a kids hammock for $5.00 from "Five Below". Its rated to 200lbs (although i wouldn't put more than 100 on it). hang it to my side so i can easily grab something if necessary. The issue i ran into with it hanging below me was that the hip belt from my pack would poke me from underneath and it got annoying.

good luck!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    [QUOTE=markr6;1555320]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    Remember, they don't necessarily have to hang below you. You could always add a pullout to the GH and keep it pulled it out beside the hammock, rather than underneath./QUOTE]

That's a good point. I don't use one, but always wondered what kind of ladder people brought along so they could get into their main hammock!
    +1. I always wonder if I am doing something wrong because between my reach, hang angle, and comfort of how hight I want to be, I just never see how I am fitting a gear hammock under me. There are times I even brush the excess leaves out from around the area because I don't want them touching my UQ if they are soggy.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast