Love hammock camping!

My problem:
More than once, even though I packed my bags tight for the night, I've had critters and bugs getting into my clothes and pack
One time I was set up on a hill and it POURED. Even though it was under my tarp, pack got soaked from running water.
It ruined the trip. *

My DIY solution: A GEAR HAMMOCK
I took an old twin bed sheet, trimmed the length to about 3/5 the original size (roughly 3.5-4ft), gathered the ends and with some spare amsteel and carabiners made a midget hammock. Now when I camp I just clip the gear-hammock's suspension right onto my big hammock's tree straps, and it hangs right below me**. Just toss my pack in there along with a bottle of water and a few other items. I may add some velcro along the edges to seal it up a bit, but that may not be necessary. It provides a safe place for gear with easy access during the night.

*I was inexperienced at the time of the water incident- simply a bad choice of campsites. Nonetheless, my gear hammock would prevent that from happening in the same situation.

**Because the gear-hammock takes up about a foot of space (depending on pack size), I need to hang my big hammock a little higher than normal. I am average height, and it is not difficult to climb into a higher hammock, but not as easy as just sitting down.

Pictures may come soon- depends on if my camera is willing to work in the cold

NOTES:

Thinking of making a mini doggie bridge hammock( for flatter lay) I do not personally have a dog but friends of mine do. His dogs always want to hop inside his hammock, but have ripped the fabric with their claws. Maybe a tougher material like canvas could work. We shall see