Tarp
    HG Hex with Doors
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ/TQ CCF Pad
    Suspension
    UCR Marlin Spike

DIY Hammock with Incorporated Underquilt Novice

Hey All,
    I am looking to do a 7' x 44" double layer hammock with a sewn in foot box and Ridge line using Momentum 90 on the side against me and Argon 67 on the outer layer with down in between the 2 layers acting for insulation. I already have the down and nano-see-um for the baffles and was planning on taping the side next to me instead of sewing so I am not creating little perforations on the hammock side. As I know there is a lot of knowledge on here I was a bit curious if anyone had heard of/ seen anything similar, heard complaints about shorter hammocks or had any advice (I just recently started experimenting with MYOG). I am a fairly light 150# and short guy 5' 6" so I don't think I would have any problems but then again I have also not heard of anyone using a 7ft length and read only one post from a guy heavier than me who had made a hammock out of M90 (which I can't find now) and I didn't see any posts saying he had issues with it. Also can you use regular polyester all purpose thread for the seams and hem or is that bad juju?

Taking anything you guys got.
    This is the pacific northwest if you wait for a nice weekend your gonna be waiting for A LONG TIME.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    7 ft is very short for a hammock. Have you seen Sgt Rock's Ghost Hammocks?

Hammock
    Eno Sub7
    Tarp
    HG Hex with Doors
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ/TQ CCF Pad
    Suspension
    UCR Marlin Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    7 ft is very short for a hammock. Have you seen Sgt Rock's Ghost Hammocks?
    Yes, I have that's roughly what I am basing my idea off.

As for the 7 ft. I used to use a Hennessy with a 100" length which I used to like a sag with and now I use a Eno sub7 105" length which I like an even bigger sag in.

This pushes me to question what exactly that extra length is accomplishing while I am hanging and what happens if I shorten it?
    This is the pacific northwest if you wait for a nice weekend your gonna be waiting for A LONG TIME.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would think twice before using those materials for an insulated hammock. That is a lot of work. I know others have pushed the weight with these lighter materials, but I would expect not a lot of longevity out of a hammock made of M90 or Argon 67-even double layer. Thats just my opinion. It would be a bummer to put a ton of work into an insulated hammock and have it not last a long time-or worse- rip on your first time out.

7ft is short for a hammock, I'd prototype with cheap materials before diving in. That being said, my wife loves her ~9.5' hammock, shorter than I can deal with. To each his own.

Taping I don't think will work. You will have stretch when you weight the hammock. I don't think the tape will hold when stretched like that. Also, I've never heard of tape being used to put together an UQ or hammock- not sure whats out there that would hold long term. I've only heard of taped seams for waterproof coats and the like. Those are typically sewn first or the alternative is to heat seal, but that takes special fabric/tools in my understanding.

For a lightweight insulated hammock, I'd probably use 1.0 or 1.6 oz HyperD inside and argon 67 or membrane10 or similar for the UQ portion. But I haven't made an insulated hammock (yet), so its a bit out of my realm of knowledge. I have tossed the idea around a bit though.

Good luck. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    My head is an animal

• + New Posts