Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

single suspension point for tarp and hammock

Hi Hammockers,
    I am in the making of a DIY tarp and go through different pitching options.
    I came across Phantom Grappler's method of using a prussik tied to the webbing onto which the hammock line is attached:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGToqEU2-U
    I thought about using this attachment point for the tarp ridgeline as well.
    The tarp itself would be attached to the ridgline by two prussiks at each end, in order to provide tensioning capability.
    The beauty of it is, that to set up the whole System, only two webbing straps have to be slung around the trees and be secured via karabiners.
    Also you could use snake skins to cover the tarp and leave it attached to the hammock as a one-piece unit.
    What are the downsides?
    Does have anyone experience with this System?
    Regards,
    Marvin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Downsides are usually that
    a) the tarp is too high once you load the hammock with weight
    b) the tarp sags when the hammock is loaded

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Hyperlight
    Insulation
    Burrow 40, HH SS
    Suspension
    Stock, Cinch
    The Hennessy Hammocks use something similar. The downside that I've been told is in case of rain and the ability to hang the tarp first.

I personally like the single line for both hammock and tarp. But I like simplicity.

TF

A lot harder to vary the height of the tarp above the hammock too. It's just not that hard to rig the tarp separately except in those weird places that require 2" straps around the tree for the tarp.

Hammock
    Darien or Dutch
    Tarp
    Depends on Weather
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ - Down
    Suspension
    Buckles or Whoopie
    I can see the potential upsides to this but I prefer to have the tarp on it's own in case I want to set it up by itself in the rain. That way if I stop for lunch or just want to sit and relax out of the rain I can.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    somt1033, if you like suspension in above video-Phantom Grappler Suspension, then you will want to watch my new video Java Mocha Hammock Suspension out in two weeks. It incorporates phantom grappler suspension with tarp suspension. Only two straps are connected to trees. It's all stuck together but hammock is removed each hang. I tried to explain that you can make the tarp line completely detachable. On the one I made for me it is detachable on one end only. But I explain how to make it modular.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    somt1033, if you like suspension in above video-Phantom Grappler Suspension, then you will want to watch my new video Java Mocha Hammock Suspension out in two weeks. It incorporates phantom grappler suspension with tarp suspension. Only two straps are connected to trees. It's all stuck together but hammock is removed each hang. I tried to explain that you can make the tarp line completely detachable. On the one I made for me it is detachable on one end only. But I explain how to make it modular.
    Hi David,
    Thanks for your videos! I absorbed all the knot-knowledge. While i have you on the line:
    Do you recommend to use a friction knot like the Farrimond (Which is the most awesome knot i know so far!) on the main-line? Does it create a lot of wear to it?
    I used a sliding ring before but i like the idea of getting rid of all Hardware. I would like to make a whoopy but i use cord with a dyneema core so that is no option.
    Regards,
    Marvin

Thanks for all your input.
    I can't decide between a all-in-one speed setup or the more variable version with a few more set-up steps.
    I guess i'll go with more classy option first, which is a seperate tarp. But still toooo many pitching Options.
    Full-lenght ridline or not... tensioning by hardware or knots... diamond or hex arghhh.

THe materials are ordered by the way. I'll use 36g/sqm of SilNylon. I think i decided on an hex tarp with 2mm full lenght rigeline and a small figure nine cord stopper for tensioning.

Convince me of onther option!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    FWIW I played with the idea of all-in-one suspensions when I first started, as I think a lot of people do. I eventually came to realize it's a solution looking for a problem.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by somt1033 View Post
    Thanks for all your input.
    I can't decide between a all-in-one speed setup or the more variable version with a few more set-up steps.
    I guess i'll go with more classy option first, which is a seperate tarp. But still toooo many pitching Options.
    Full-lenght ridline or not... tensioning by hardware or knots... diamond or hex arghhh.

THe materials are ordered by the way. I'll use 36g/sqm of SilNylon. I think i decided on an hex tarp with 2mm full lenght rigeline and a small figure nine cord stopper for tensioning.

Convince me of onther option!
    You may be over thinking it. You won't know which way works best for you, until you've tried all the various setups. Just get out there and hang, and it'll all come together for you.

I've only been doing this a few years, but I still haven't stopped tweaking my setup. I think that's one of the draws to the hobby, it never stops evolving.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast