Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    except for Gunner76 who joined in 2009...all poster are 2012-1015...The odds are you will meet many who "started earlier"...
    My rememberer doesn't always work like it should, but wasn't the yahoo group around awhile before this forum? I hear the folks from there now use canes instead of trekking poles... Or was that trekking poles as canes?

Hammock
    Chameleon Soon!
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Incubator-Ghst Pep
    Suspension
    Web / Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I've ran into 3 separate people out in the woods now where it seemed like their mission in life was to let you know they started hammocking before "it was cool". Casually saying "I haven't used my tent in 5 years" or "I love hanging; I've been doing it for 4 years now" is what I would expect. But these people just seemed almost annoyed that others "copied" them.

Has anyone else ran into this? I don't care either way. It was just an observation, possibly shared with many other hobbies to be honest.

(yeah yeah yeah, HYOY and all that crap inserted here )

Everyone wants to be part of a group, I think its core human nature, I'd just smile and move on. I have much more fun sharing with people who haven't experienced this way of sleeping. But I am just in my first true year of this game changer in camping.

Hammock
    HH UL Expl, Expd, WBBB XL, homemade
    Tarp
    Hex, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HHSS or Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Straps or whoopies
    The only hangers that I've seen in the woods are ones that I've converted. Most ground dwellers on the trail are very curious and many take photos of my set up.

I find it strange that it's not more popular here as there's not many flat places without roots and rocks to set up a tent.

Anyway. Since 2005. Or was it 2006? Pre bottom insulation, or knowledge of it for me anyway.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Funny, all I get are strange looks and ridiculous questions. I guess where I camp, anyone sleeping above-ground is an oddity.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Lol - I'm so new to hammocks that I can remember when my bedroom had a bed in it!

I'm pretty grateful that others got into long before I did, let everyone else be your beta tester I say!
    When I got into this only a few months ago it was handy that hammocks like the WBBB XLC already existed, I don't know how you guys that started many years ago managed when hammocks were still being improved and there was no such thing as dutch bling. I supposed Amsteel Blue didn't even exist back then.

Now with the dutchware stuff & various forms of dyneema and silnylon and cuban fibre and . . . Well, it all just keeps getting better and there is no time to get into hammocks quite as good as right now.

Of course I don't even care how long others have been into hammocks or how many they have or whatever, I just care that I'm more comfortable when I sleep.
    I checked with my cat and she very clearly conveyed this message: "your personal comfort is PARAMOUNT!", actually it may have been that her personal comfort is paramount, I don't think she cares about mine at all.
    What's important is that I no longer sleep on the ground in a tent - I'm above that now!

Hammock
    Clark Mark 2
    I started hamocking long after it was cool. I saw the band wagon coming and totally jumped on. Guess that doesn't make me a hipster. Yay!

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Last month i was at hidden pond in the Ocala national forest with my son. We had set up our hammocks and tarps and were relaxing after eating our lunch. This group of people came in and proceeded to set up right by us. These folks broke out the enos and set up nice and tight. One guy even had his a good 5ft off the ground ( when he was in it that is). They then broke out the radio and the full bar. I like music and enjoy an adult beverage at the end of a hike, but i know that not everyone wants to hear my music ( ok most people don't, but hey), and getting drunk and loud before before 4pm is bad manners when most people go camping for solitude. Later that evening it started to rain. These people did not have their tarps set up and where geting wet. So i went over and offered to help as it was two guys trying to set up tarps for five hammocks. They very rudely said no to my offer and continued to fiddle. I went back sat in my hammock and watched the circus as i lay back in my dry nest. The next morning i heard the two guys comparing gear, boots, packs, etc and realized they were name dropping as much as possible. I guess they were trying to impress their female companions with the money they spent. Funny thing is, for half the cost my son and i were twice as comfortable, and more prepared. They spent more but we were happier and more polite with those around us. These guys definatly fell into the look how hip i am with my fancy gear category of camper.
    I don't wanna be hip, just comfortable.

Images
    "Oh, you guys use hammocks?"

"Sure do, its all we'll consider sleeping in"

"Are you on the forums?"

"What forums?"

"Never mind"

Meh.

Before hammocks were cool,

I just levitated.

I'm older,

My levitation skills are slipping.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    This thread is funny. I can relate. I usually see ENOsters at state parks, tightly hanging their hammocks from some precarious attachment, sitting in it sideways, cutting off the circulation in their legs.

I don't usually initiate conversation, but I do chat with them if they initiate. I have a desire to share helpful tips, but I'm not sure how to go about it without coming off like "you have no idea what you're doing, do you?", so I don't really say much.

At one point though, we were all that guy/gal that had no idea what we were doing. While I have been doing this for a little while now, I am still always learning, and I hope that never changes. Knowing everything, is probably boring.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast