Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Beginner's Suspension

I'm trying to put together a set-up for a teen new to (but has a grasp of) hammock camping. I want to keep it fairly simple so that it's something he's comfortable dealing with. I'm thinking straps all the way. I can deal with the tree end: A MultiBuckle on the sewn eye. Less expensive than Dutch Clips if they ever get lost. The new hammock has CLs.

I'm thinking some sort of cinch buckle for adjusting but having trouble coming up with any great ideas about how to hook to the CLs. Staying away from ti hardware, as I can imagine things getting lost or left behind. Not trying to be cheap, just practical. I'm hanging on Cinch Bugs these days but that would be expensive stuff for him to leave hanging on some trees somewhere. Figure some day, when he knows how to and actually wants to take care of things, that an upgrade can occur.

I've had a couple of ideas, but they seem less than great.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You could use a multibuckle on the end of the strap as a replacement for the marlinespike hitch. I'm making a hammock for my mother and this is what I'm doing. Then you can just hang the CL on that.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Dream hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream13
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep/BanditXL
    Suspension
    Multibuckles

Beginner's Suspension

Try a toothless cam buckle. Not sure how this would work.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    man, if it were me i'd dutch/whoopee it all the way and be done with it.

it's simple.

edit: i overlooked the "losing gear" part. my error.

sv-
    Last edited by sidvicious; 12-07-2015 at 20:18.

Dutch's new spiders with long straps would seem to be the way to go according to your specs. They stay with the strap.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You can do the webbing and buckles like Warbonnet sells.... You would just pull the CL's off and pop the buckles on (they are on a CL already) or you can just pop one CL on to the other with a square knot.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Here's something simple.... Pick up some straps (Dutch sells great ones at a nice price) and also drop some cinch buckles in your shopping pack. Watch this video on how to attach those buckles to your continuous loops. Cut the webbing in half and tie a loop... no need for extra hardware here. The only thing to forget is the straps on the tree!

** Edit to give even more Suspension Options For Continuous Loops
    Last edited by ShellHammock; 12-07-2015 at 20:39.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    You could use a multibuckle on the end of the strap as a replacement for the marlinespike hitch. I'm making a hammock for my mother and this is what I'm doing. Then you can just hang the CL on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kunzman View Post
    Dutch's new spiders with long straps would seem to be the way to go according to your specs. They stay with the strap.
    Both of these suggestions have a lot of merit and few downsides. The combination of these ideas got me to thinking, a potentially scary thing that can be...

I had rejected the MSH immediately due to the fiddle factor, the potential of lost bits, and the likelihood of misuse. A hardware MSH replacement solves some of that but still requires more fiddling than I think he'd tolerate.

But then, along came the Spiders. (I couldn't resist)

Cheaper to replace than Cinch Bugs, easy to use. So what if I sort of apply some of Dutch's idea in using a MultiBuckle in a somewhat similar way? The biggest part of fiddling around if you use one as a MSH/toggle substitute as originally marketed is the adjustment process. Pull the CL off the MB, hold onto the hammock, undo the securing tuck, adjust the strap length, secure, rehang the CL. I can see the kid having to do it multiple times, at least in the beginning.

So, what if you have the MB in tri-glide mode on the strap and now slip the CL over it? Slide it up or down to get it (about?) right (a la Spider) and then pull a loop of the strap tail up through the CL and secure back through the far end of the MB just as PapaSmurf shows in his vid.

Off the top of my head, I'm liking this hybrid idea.

What do you think? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by TominMN; 12-07-2015 at 20:40.

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    My son is 13 now and I his setup I used whoopies and some Dutch bling (wasp, hook, Marlin spike hitch) and he hasn't had any problems with it. I know if he can do your son can

Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    Here's something simple.... Pick up some straps (Dutch sells great ones at a nice price) and also drop some cinch buckles in your shopping pack. Watch this video on how to attach those buckles to your continuous loops. Cut the webbing in half and tie a loop... no need for extra hardware here. The only thing to forget is the straps on the tree!
    I know this works, but I don't want him to have to choose between leaving the suspension attached to the hammock (can't get forgotten) or having to thread the strap every time. Could do this with AHE/WB strap suspension as well I guess. It also leaves hardware on the hammock. Maybe he wouldn't mind. It's something that I try to avoid on my own set-ups.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast