Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I to am new to hammock camping. I must say your budget is high dollar compared to mine. Got my hammock in a yard sale for 3 bucks and my 8x10 tarp at a farm supply store for 8 bucks and i to plan to convert ratchet straps to tree huggers. I like the tip on using mason line for a ridge line. I already have the blue Wallyworld pad. Feels good starting on the cheap. Any purchase from here is an upgrade.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    For you guys who are cannibalizing ratchet straps, Brandon (warbonnetguy) sold me a complete webbing suspension set with rings and tieoffs for the end of the hammock for something like $10 a while back, which is probably cheaper than the ratchet straps. Email him and see if he's willing to do that before you buy something heavier.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Thanks for the tip but I already have my straps and dont intent to destroy them just use the the strap minus the ratchet. Loops can easily be tied into the strap that can later be removed. It is an item I already have i wont be purchasing new straps to cannibalize. I dont intend for this to be a permanent solution for me. I will eventually upgrade every piece of my equipment as time an money permit. I appreciate the help you and all the great people on this forum provide. This seems to be the most friendly forum i have ever seen. Lots of great information from friendly people. Can it get any better.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    A Bayer was my first hammock, A well made light & cheep hammock.
    Not to dissuade you, just be aware: the ropes at each end (I think there are around 20 each end) tangle at the "Drop of a hat".

Welcome aboard.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    wbbb dl 1.7
    Tarp
    Oes maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    WB yeti
    Suspension
    webbing,c-buckles
    welcome, all you need to know is here. trust me i just started at this 4 months ago and have learned a ton!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Wow, got that same Byer Parachute hammock for father's day, took it on a backpacking trip and slept in it to avoid the snoring bear in the tent... After a night of CBS, I found this site and went nuts...

Before you cannibalize the old GI sleeping bag, go find yourself a cheap 40 degree rectangle bag at a garage sale. I slept in my DIY speer and a cut-down underquilt from a 50-degree bag (had to break out the space blanket, as the night got down to about 40...) used my 20-degree bag as top quilt, too. The only reason I don't use a pad, is I flop in my sleep, and I kept ejecting the pad. I tried a double layer, but I don't like the pad at all.

If you can sew, and your local WW has fabric, you can build a K.I.S.S. cover... (search the forum for it.) a simple cover makes a big temp difference for me... Of course, I'm no expert, yet, as with all my work, lurking here, and sewing, I've only slept in a hammock overnight about 4 times. But I'm looking forward to more... I just can't decide which underquilt I want to ask Santa for! I'm down to the KAQ New River, or Te-Wa, or ???

Welcome to the addiction.

John

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    walmart...$9.00 sleeping bag=cheap uq.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    walmart...$9.00 sleeping bag=cheap uq.
    Yup.

Get a 4-pack of tarp clips and a spool of small cord while you're there, and you've got yourself an underquilt.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

OH wow! I got a buncha responses! Lemmie see if i can reply this early without coffee in my veins.
    @ Vitamaltz- Believe it or not, there IS a northeast to Georgia! It's a magical land of cows and factories where it snows rainbow gumdrops and rains Diet Rite! (But only if you've mistakenly foraged for the wrong type of wild edibles.) Mostly its rural area with decent folk, I still miss the NC mountains where I was born and raised, but those beautiful Blue ridge mountains are still plenty close enough to visit.

@ sir White Wolf- Howdy neighbor!
    @Cannibal & Pawfoot- Thanx for the warm welcomes!!!
    @Amac- Thanks for the firsthand owner info! The Mason line sounds great! Yeah my stuff is heavy but its ok. I'll cut weight where I can as time and money allow. Never see myself as a really ultralight kinda guy but I will get a lighter tarp and stuff as time goes on. I just started sewing (I mean *Gear making*) and I love it! Gotta go by Walmart and check the fabric departments for Ripstop or SIL May have to settle for polyester or some other synthetic that looks halfway durable and either quick drying or water repellent.
    @ Peanutdude- Thanks for the welcome! I don't actually have any of this gear yet, I'm just posting my "shopping list" prior to buying. I prolly have about a week left before funds become available. Until then its lurk and learn!
    @MacEntyre- The ENO double nest is a bit more expensive than the Byer as far as I can find and also I need the bug netting FOR SURE. I read to put myself to sleep and wear a headlamp to do so. Without a bug net I'll be SWARMED!! Thanks for the recommendation though! I really appreciate you sharing your opinion and I think that you just don't want me to buy something that I'll "outgrow" for lack of a better word. (although @ 5' 6" and 140 lbs, I haven't "grown" much since I was about 15 LOL)
    @Off-road- From all reports, apparently UQ's are FAR more comfy and less restrictive than a pad. But I already have a CCF pad from my ground dweller kit so I'll be giving it a try. Prolly gonna make a UQ too though. I mean a guy has to practice his gear making skills somehow.
    @Opie- Thanx for the Warm Welcome!
    @ otter46544 & East Stingray- I got ratchet straps out the "wazoo"! I'm not even sure how I got so many but I have a lot more than I need so I'm gonna "sacrifice" a set to the cause. No biggie.
    @Doctari- I read a lot of your posts about the Byer and found the information to be very helpful! Thanks!! As I mentioned before, I haven't bought the hammock yet and there is always the possibility that I will snag a deal on something different but for now I'm pretty sure that the Byer fits my needs and budget best. As for the "strings" tangling, whats life without challenges??? LOL
    @ Johnsawyer, Gargoyle and Oldgringo- Thanks for the info guys! I'll be working out the specifics of my insulation needs as I go along. Since I'm blessed enough to be able to have a testing ground right in my back yard I can just try different things and if I get cold I got a nice toasty bed less than a minute away. Thanks for the headsup on the walmart bag though. I my also try garage sales an flea markets since I have those nearby on the weekends.
    Thanks again to everyone! now more lurking and learning!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaygnar View Post
    Thanks again to everyone! now more lurking and learning!
    Oh, no, not at all! Now that you've uncloaked, you advance to hanging, learning and posting!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast