Eno CamoNest
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    Snugpak Blanket
    Suspension
    Circle Straps

Hammock Sock or Bug Net?

Another thread posted because I need the opinion of more experienced hangers. I'm a great believer in multi-use or combined gear; I think it just makes sense. I've been looking at the Eno Guardian SL bugnet for bug protection for a while now but I just saw the ARGON Vented Sock on Dutchware and it occurred to me that I could get the ARGON V.S.( a winter sock that has no-see-um for a quarter of the length that can be turned to be closed) to use as a sock in the fall and winter and a bug net in the spring and summer. Would it be a good investment to get a ARGON winter sock to use this way? Have any of you done that, or heard of it being done? I think buying one piece of gear for multiple uses is very sensible and cost effective; I can't be the only one to think about this.
    Thanks,
    D
    Slowly swaying in a hammock is my version of a steady morphine drip, without the risk of renal failure.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    As a fellow North Georgian I would not want to use the vented sock in the summer around here. During spring and fall, when bugs are down you may not want anything. I know I love being able to sleep netless under the stars. I call it comfortable cowboy camping. Personally I think you're better off getting a bugnet and waiting to see if you think you even need a sock in the winter. I'm all for multi-use gear but I think you'll end up with a bugnet anyway once you spend a couple summer nights sweating in a sock.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Dbl Wide Hex
    Insulation
    Inc 0, Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Tree straps, cb
    I have no experience with a VS but I have a bug net on my Darien and it raises the temp in the hammock a little in the summer. It seems to me that a 3/4 length sock would be pretty hot when it gets warmer. I would be curious to read what others o have tried a VS might think. Happy Hangin !
    Slider1
    Survival gear...ten White Castle hamburgers and my hammock.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Deltair , I just recently bought the Dutch argon vent sock. I'm in va where we can have a 69 degree f day & a nor easter blows through & the next day will be 30 degrees f. I was able to test it in both temps. You would cook using this in late spring / summer. Unfortunately hammock gear is no different than shopping for clothes for 4 seasons.

What works for frigid weather would not be ideal for warm conditions . Same applies here. I know it's what your trying to avoid but Dutch does have a summer sock too. Be well

• + New Posts