DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It what I call "easy winter" camping. Not crazy cold, but still feels like winter. Not like the stupid weather today!

But that snow is sure disappearing quick! Approaching the 8-10" mark, possibly the 6-8" even.

Last edited by OneClick; 02-20-2016 at 21:08.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So I just got back from snowshoeing out there. Parked at end of plowed section of Pickerel Lake Rd where power lines intersect. Good news; much of the route has been packed down by snowmobile traffic. image.jpg
    image.jpg

Bad news; 5 hills between Pickeral Lake Rd and Hare Rd. These hills are a challenge. Heading West, the tree line along the left is posted, but no signage on the right and judging by the tracks, the power line is public right of way.
    image.jpg
    There is a bridge across this stream and easy crossing.
    At Hare road; image.jpg
    Turn right (North) to find a gate shortly thereafter. image.jpg
    This is Reyolds Rd. I came out this way and as you walk along snowmobile track look for my snowshoe track; this is more or less a direct route which will connect to snowmobile track again. I believe my track will take you north to the next road where you'll head north, northwest towards the cabin (key being to hit the bridge that crosses Pickeral Creek). Walking in, I neglected to use google maps even though I had good signal and ended up walking longer than necessary. The walk out took 90 minutes in wet, deep snow with snowshoes and a 20lb pack. Thursday should see snow harden back up and make for a quicker easier trek.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    It what I call "easy winter" camping. Not crazy cold, but still feels like winter. Not like the stupid weather today!

But that snow is sure disappearing quick! Approaching the 8-10" mark, possibly the 6-8" even.

Don't believe the map Mark; I still came across sections that had 18". Bring your snowshoes.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Will do. Thanks Don. A few more warm days but the cold will return!

Well here I set in Ky. and the day time temp. today was 72* at my house, I am getting a little nervous about the snow pack and weather to bring snowshoes or not. We sure are having crazy mixed up weather pattern these days. What do ya'll think it's going to be like fineup there? they say we might get an inch or two Wed. or Thur. here. I'm pulling everything together now and am trying to decide what to bring or not, what to wear or not, what boots to bring or not, I have a new pair of Mukluk's but it sounds like it will be to wet to wear them, they work best in dry snow powder, What do ya'll think I should do? i know that my food and sleeping gear are fine, it's just the rest. Well just 4 1/2 more days and I'll be on my way, see ya'll there!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm packing snowshoes, extra (warmer) boots, and a camp chair...but I'll leave them in my jeep. It wouldn't hurt to have them just in case. I can make the short hike back if necessary. But for now, I'm all set with my 65L pack which is just a little heavier than usual due to some extras. Looks like it won't be too cold, except for Saturday night. Gusts over 20mph every day could sting a bit! I think those mukluks would be ok with highs being in the mid-20s

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Badwind, bring snowshoes. You might be able to walk in without them, but off trail, they'll be essential.

Expect nights and mornings to be in the teens and daytime temps in mid to high 20s. Not sure what to suggest on footwear. Rubber over boots maybe?

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Badwind7 View Post
    Well here I set in Ky. and the day time temp. today was 72* at my house, I am getting a little nervous about the snow pack and weather to bring snowshoes or not. We sure are having crazy mixed up weather pattern these days. What do ya'll think it's going to be like fineup there? they say we might get an inch or two Wed. or Thur. here. I'm pulling everything together now and am trying to decide what to bring or not, what to wear or not, what boots to bring or not, I have a new pair of Mukluk's but it sounds like it will be to wet to wear them, they work best in dry snow powder, What do ya'll think I should do? i know that my food and sleeping gear are fine, it's just the rest. Well just 4 1/2 more days and I'll be on my way, see ya'll there!
    From my experience after a few thaws and refreezes the snow gets pretty solid. I'm treating this year as a late winter early spring hike where its still cold and the old snow is still thick. High teens low twenties means that it will be frozen when we are there.

Between the alternating weather and the snowmobiles packing things down I don't expect to need my snowshoes but I'm still going to put them onto my pulk in case I find the unexpected. (..also they double as my shovel...)

The thing about a pulk I love is that I can GROSSLY over pack and it is ok!
    I'd pack the Mukluks and your usual boots both... the trail may be solid enough to walk on without sinking into the snowpack and getting your Muks wet.
    Maybe wear your usual boots and change into your Muks for wearing around camp?
    If they are new it can't hurt to give them a trial! You didn't get them not to use.

Last year the snowmobiles had that trail smushed SOLID and I didn't sink one inch into the snowpack.

I ate at a Chinese joint tonight and my fortune cookie said, "Be prepared to change your plans and it will work to your benefit."
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Now they're saying 3-5" Wednesday night and 3-5" more on Thursday!!!!! Driving won't be so fun, but I'm looking forward to some fresh snow.

But I should add, they always grossly overestimate the snow totals especially this far out
    Last edited by OneClick; 02-21-2016 at 08:21.

Thank you Don for making the trek out there and doing some recon work. I think Pickeral road access will make a perfect overflow lot in the event that the main GT lot fills up. From what I can tell, it looks like we will have 8-10 of us arriving Thursday and more or less the same number arriving on Friday/Saturday. If you haven't already, please post your planned arrival.

A few weeks ago the cabin was well stocked with wood by Dogger. When we were there after him, we replenished it in the hopes that it would still be there for our outing. Don informed me that whoever used it last, burned up the reserves....massive wood gathering will be in order Thursday.

Cell coverage: ATT is pretty lousy and very hit and miss. Sprint & Verizon are decent. Better coverage from the parking lot.

I just wanted to thank everyone in advance for making the trip north. This has been in the planning stage since November, but unofficially it goes back to last years camp when we decided lets do it again and picked the weekend . Safe journey to all those attending and looking forward to spending some time in the woods with new friends.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast