Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Anyone planning on being there Thursday? If so, what time? I will definitely be there Thursday but would rather not hike alone since i don't know the area at all.

Also, anyone down by me interested in carpooling? I'm in shelby township (near Troy and Rochester)
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

MI > 2nd Annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang Feb 25-28, 2016 Pigeon River Stat...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePantologist View Post
    Anyone planning on being there Thursday? If so, what time? I will definitely be there Thursday but would rather not hike alone since i don't know the area at all.

Also, anyone down by me interested in carpooling? I'm in shelby township (near Troy and Rochester)
    It's my hope to be there and set up before dark.

But have no fear, the trail will be well trodden. Starts wide, in a northern direction and "T's" to the East (right) approximately 1/2 mile before the bridge over the Sturgeon River. Cabin on left directly past bridge.

Reference link Michigan Dave opened thread with, it shows a good map.

PM incoming. I'm in the Clarkston area and am planning on going up sometime on Thursday.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    It's my hope to be there and set up before dark.

But have no fear, the trail will be well trodden. Starts wide, in a northern direction and "T's" to the East (right) approximately 1/2 mile before the bridge over the Sturgeon River. Cabin on left directly past bridge.

Reference link Michigan Dave opened thread with, it shows a good map.
    Thanks for the info!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Not Good Enough
    Suspension
    No Idea
    Hey Guys. Mike here. I attended last year (one of the bushcraft guys). Glad I stumbled on this thread... started thinking about... 'hey, it would be cool to camp with those hammock guys again, maybe they are going to be back'

In the process of checking my schedule to see if I can attend. Sounds like you guys have food pretty much squared away, but that shoudlnt stop me from bringing more eats. What do you guys need?

I have ground venison I can bring, and a venison roast. I'm not a good cook, so I'll have to rely on someone with better skills than me to make something out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    Hey Guys. Mike here. I attended last year (one of the bushcraft guys). Glad I stumbled on this thread... started thinking about... 'hey, it would be cool to camp with those hammock guys again, maybe they are going to be back'

In the process of checking my schedule to see if I can attend. Sounds like you guys have food pretty much squared away, but that shoudlnt stop me from bringing more eats. What do you guys need?

I have ground venison I can bring, and a venison roast. I'm not a good cook, so I'll have to rely on someone with better skills than me to make something out of it.
    Hey neighbor! Glad to see you back on the forums. How's hammock life going for you? Of course we remember hearing of your epic -26 below zero first night out at last years hang. Venison sounds good...I'm sure someone in the group will have some cooking skills. Maybe you could toss in the roast with the Posale.

Hope you can make it out and join us again for another epic adventure!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Not Good Enough
    Suspension
    No Idea
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Hey neighbor! Glad to see you back on the forums. How's hammock life going for you? Of course we remember hearing of your epic -26 below zero first night out at last years hang. Venison sounds good...I'm sure someone in the group will have some cooking skills. Maybe you could toss in the roast with the Posale.

Hope you can make it out and join us again for another epic adventure!
    Hammock life in 2015 was excellent. Spent 37 nights out last year. I think 31 of them were in the warbonnet. But the coldest I went was only 21 degrees. Non hammock was - 3 days in a hot tent at deer camp, one under my super fly hiking with my son, and one on a deck near gettysburg (long story) and of course, one in the green timbers cabin.

So I'm ready to give the arctic hang another shot. Here is to hoping it's 40 degrees warmer than last year!

Any other equipment you guys need? I'm not sure if you need another perc, I have a 12 cup one that I can bring. Should have the answer this evening if all is clear with she who must be obeyed.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    So call it ignorance...

Since we will obviously have a ton of food...am i safe to assume that a lot of it will be stored in coolers vs. hung up in the trees etc.? ive only camped with MRE's so no clue how to store things like eggs etc.

I figured that it will be cold enough not to necessarily need coolers for the perishables...

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    Hammock life in 2015 was excellent. Spent 37 nights out last year. I think 31 of them were in the warbonnet. But the coldest I went was only 21 degrees. Non hammock was - 3 days in a hot tent at deer camp, one under my super fly hiking with my son, and one on a deck near gettysburg (long story) and of course, one in the green timbers cabin.

So I'm ready to give the arctic hang another shot. Here is to hoping it's 40 degrees warmer than last year!

Any other equipment you guys need? I'm not sure if you need another perc, I have a 12 cup one that I can bring. Should have the answer this evening if all is clear with she who must be obeyed.
    Yes, please on the percolator. That would put us at 3, at least; enough to keep everyone supplied with coffee and maybe have hot water available for other beverages too.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    So call it ignorance...

Since we will obviously have a ton of food...am i safe to assume that a lot of it will be stored in coolers vs. hung up in the trees etc.? ive only camped with MRE's so no clue how to store things like eggs etc.

I figured that it will be cold enough not to necessarily need coolers for the perishables...
    I understand your concern. I've never been too worried with bears in this neck of the woods.
    In this case I'm especially comfortable because of the number of people, noise level, firepower, noise etc...

I know that these are not absolute deterrents but I have no fear that we will be fine without hanging our food.
    I've heard plenty of coyotes in these woods but I've never really been worried about bear.

The weather will be fine for food preservation, in fact I hope our eggs will not freeze.

So while I know you're questions are good ones... well founded and valid:
    I would try to reassure you that we don't need to worry about it too much on this particular trip.

I know that there are black bear in the woods, but I really think that in this case they are more scared of us than we are of them.
    I think we had left most of our food on the outside of the cabin near the entrance last year and we didn't even have problems with mice...
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast