Tarp
    SLD winter haven
    Insulation
    HG incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    You read my mind, Ed. I can't imagine them using the access trail for logging. They'd tear it up. There is that clearcut logging area on the west side of the trail on the south end of the Fontanilis Club property and I think there is another access road on that side.

FYI, myself and the usual suspects (Turkey, Squirrelbait and Donk) are heading to Pickeral Lake CG, which is about 2 miles east of Green Timbers today (Friday) for the weekend to do some recon work on trail access to Green Timbers, plus look at the CG as a potential new location for the November 2016 Gluttony Hang. If anyone wants to join our impromptu hang, come on out and enjoy the snowy woods!
    Plan B the road to the CG is not plowed so we will be hanging at the cabin instead.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Shout out to Dogger for leaving the cabin stocked with wood. Michigan Dave is there now, enjoying a fire. No worries, we will restock.

Well as I set here in my all to warm home with 55* weather and no snow I am a little depressed. So, I have been making all my cold weather gear and no place to test it. The only thing I can do is practice my cooking skills, eat it and get fatter, not good. I just made a nice break fest dish I would like to try if anyone will be bringing a large Dutch cast iron oven, so let me know. This weekend on Sunday I will be in a chili cook off so I will make all the deer chili and freeze the rest to bring. i sure hope a lot of people come this year, cause I am planning enough food for at least three big meals, two dinner and one break fest. My pulk is done, but I had to re-order my snowshoes, the ones I bought had a key part missing and the company didn't have any in stock to replace them, so I had to go with a more expensive pair. Guise now I will have come north a few more time to get my monies worth out of them. See you'll soon, be safe and keep the weather and snow base reports coming, I want deep snow and cold temps.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    That is extremely generous, Badwind! So far we have 2 people saying they are bringing dutch ovens.
    Thank you for all that food!!

With how the food is shaping up, I think I'll be concentrating on deserts.
    I'll have Oreo Balls, Tricks Treats, Pop Tart Puffs, Home made caramel corn, and whatever else I can dream up between now and then.

Sweet treats will be coming with me.
    I'll try to come up with a bacon desert to stay with the theme.
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    Ugq
    Insulation
    Wilderness logics
    Suspension
    Dutch ware
    Images
    I'd like to join the event, possibly with a friend that lives right by there.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy138 View Post
    I'd like to join the event, possibly with a friend that lives right by there.
    Welcome aboard! Keep watching the thread for more info to come. Glad you can make it. Lots of trees to choose from too.
    Last edited by michigandave; 01-31-2016 at 16:38.

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    Ugq
    Insulation
    Wilderness logics
    Suspension
    Dutch ware
    Images
    That area is one of my favorites. Spent many nights it the pigeon river area, all seasons. Oddly i have only ran into 3 other backpackers there in the last 10 years.

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Christo: could you post your recipe here for whoever wants to take the lead?
    Brown 1lb sausage in Dutchoven - drain
    Stir in bag of frozen hash brown, a cup or so of diced onion and bell pepper.
    Scramble 12 eggs with salt/pepper and pour over the top.
    Give it a couple stirs and cook it up.
    Hot sauce and tortillas are almost mandatory.

I just wanted to post an update and touch on a couple things. First of all, a couple of us spent the weekend at Green Timbers and due to the logging (ending the middle of February) the hike in is nice and easy. Where the logging ends, it's still good because the snowmobiles (not allowed per forest rules) have packed the trail down. I'm sure they'll be more snow between now and then, so pulk & snowshoes are highly recommended. Also, I'd like to thank Dogger again for stepping up and making that cabin shine! We've never seen it left in such amazing condition and stocked with so much wood.

Now for some housekeeping:

1. We hauled some more bags of garbage out of there this past weekend. There are still a few more to go, so bring a spare garbage bag or 2 to divide it up into smaller loads for people to haul it out. We want to be good stewards and leave it better than when we came. If anyone has a clear shower curtain and a staple gun, a couple of the windows could use some help.

2. Food: It seems like we're looking pretty good on what people are bringing and there should be plenty. We'll lay out a "who's bringing what" post the middle of February. Not knowing when everyone will be arriving for the weekend, Thursday is BYOF (bring your own food). If someones coming in Thursday want to do a group share meal, I don't think you'll get complaints. Friday 1st breakfast will be the official kickoff to the weekend.

3. ICE (in case of emergency). We had a discussion about this over the weekend. What if something happened? It's winter, it's cold and there's always new people attending. If you're coming with someone, you know each other and they have that backup of who to call. If you're coming solo, bring a card with contact info to give to one of us.

4. Parking: The Green Timbers lot will hold 8-10 cars. I've been in contact with the unit manager of the PRSF and he'll do what he can to open it up to make some more space for our group. Donk_67 did some recon yesterday on the turnoff for additional parking that is 1/4 mile further up. It is county maintained and snowed in, so we won't be able to access it. Plan B parking: At the I-75 exit 290 exit there is a Mobil and a Marathon on either sides of the freeway. I've contacted both and arranged to use 2-3 spaces at each if people wanted to meet there and leave a vehicle. If you do, go in, buy something and let them know and they'll tell you where to park in the lot.

5. Getting there: Green Timbers is 4.2 miles east of Vanderbilt on Sturgeon River Road. Look for the yellow sign with the black arrow pointing to the right indicating a sharp curve...the parking lot will be on the left past the stone pillars. It's easy to miss it, especially at night.

I think I've just about covered everything so far. Looking forward to getting out and enjoying the woods again very soon!
    Last edited by michigandave; 02-01-2016 at 11:24.

OK, Christo456's break fest meal is just like what I planed on making in a large Dutch Pot over, so I have that one covered, I also have a large size medical kit I planned on bring with me, I can even sow you up if I have too. I'm an old combat life saver from the army and when I was an officer I put myself through and EMT course, but lets hope no one gets hurt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast