Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Every one sounds like they are getting excited about hanging out, I know that I am. I went hiking and hanging at Red River Gorge in Ky. this last weekend to test some of my gear. My temp gauge at bed time was only 18*. Although the news channels said it got down to 5*. In any event I sleep just fine, all through the night without any problems. I will also be bringing some Beer-bread. It has nuts and all kind of good things. We're supposed to get to 6 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. The people around here are all going nuts about it and I can't wait for it to snow. I got my snow shoes today, but no deep snow to test. Still waiting on my pulk, I ordered it from sportsmansguide.com, It has 9 inch sides and is 44 inches long. Can hardly wait for Feb. 25th.

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Well, the test run seems to be a success. It got down to 17 at about 11:00 pm but then warmed up to about 21 for most of the night. I was hoping it would get colder. Things were toasty warm except for my toes but I think I can adjust for that (better socks - I did try and keep my feet lower than my core) Overall, it was very comfortable and everything worked great. So, it looks like I am in for sure now barring any natural or unnatural disaster. Now I just need to get my system set for hauling my gear.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Badwind, sounds like you've got it dialed in.

Kg8jk, I'm in the process of building a better pulk too. Just picked up the Jet Sled Jr. and now need to work on tow bars.

Shug said that if you put a piece of reflective in the foot box that will help keep your toes warm. Sounds like you have a 3/4 under quilt. I have a home made under quilt and it is a 3/4, that is what i do. I put in my top quilt foot box area and my toes, with thick socks, stay nice and toasty. Oh, I forgot to ask if anyone was bringing a big pot to cook in for warm up chili and making other foods, will need a big dutch pot to cook one of my meals for everyone. If not let me know and I will try and get one from a friend? Only 35 more days till fun time in the snow. Is there a good snow base yet up there? I hope so, I have not got to have fun in really deep snow since 1981 in Colorado Springs, Colo. up in the mountains.

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Badwind7 View Post
    Shug said that if you put a piece of reflective in the foot box that will help keep your toes warm. Sounds like you have a 3/4 under quilt. I have a home made under quilt and it is a 3/4, that is what i do. I put in my top quilt foot box area and my toes, with thick socks, stay nice and toasty. Oh, I forgot to ask if anyone was bringing a big pot to cook in for warm up chili and making other foods, will need a big dutch pot to cook one of my meals for everyone. If not let me know and I will try and get one from a friend? Only 35 more days till fun time in the snow. Is there a good snow base yet up there? I hope so, I have not got to have fun in really deep snow since 1981 in Colorado Springs, Colo. up in the mountains.
    My under quilt is also homemade and my feet do stick out a bit but normally I sleep on my side in fetal position. I think I saw a good deal on a down jacket at the resale. Maybe that would make a nice foot box.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Badwind7 View Post
    ...Oh, I forgot to ask if anyone was bringing a big pot to cook in for warm up chili and making other foods, will need a big dutch pot to cook one of my meals for everyone...
    Originally Christo456 had said he would bring the dutch oven but he had obligations preventing him from coming after all.
    Right now I don't see anyone else who has volunteered the dutch pot but it seems many of the meals people are bringing will require one for cooking... We might even put more than one to use if there were "double dutch" ovens.
    DOUBLE DUTCH!!! oh, I kill myself...
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

Turkey's bringing a Dutch oven plus I'll have my large cook set that I also had last year. Also, I'm bringing my jumbo stock pot with lid that I used at our November hang for hot water for cleanup duties. I got it for a few bucks at the Salvation Army. If anyone has a cast iron frying pan or a cheap stock pot, bring it along! Should work great on the Turkey grate .

Twistin: word from Jeff G is that it's on his calendar...not sure on Bushcraft numbers but I know Big Bob is out (and he had the cast iron frying pan).

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'll bring in my cast iron fry pan... seeing as I'll have my sled now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    DIY strap/Whoopies
    I will also be bringing my dutch oven.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just out of curiosity, I looked Vanderbilt up on Accuweather; historical avg temps are 31 highs and low of 12 for end of February... I'm good with that if it proves true.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast