Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Ode to Brandon

A very long time ago in April of 2007 I was looking for a way to make an underquilt. See I am very cheap by nature and really back then there wasn't many options. I have an AT thru-hike under my belt that I used an HH ULBA wit a z-rest and stock tarp. I really liked my set-up but the pad thing never suited me. So i went looking and I found JustJeff's site. That lead me to the newly founded Hammock Forums. I think I was the 260th person to join. I was immediately enthralled by the friendliness and the creativity. I think the only cottage vendors back then were Jacks R Better. Little did I know I had hiked with them on my thru but that is another story...

Some of the people who were around was Black Bishop, Schroeder, Hammock Engineer and this guy named WarbonnetGuy. This was an incredible group that had all kinds of creativity and a blank canvas to express it on. Everybody brought something different to the party. Every thread was a subject that had not been explored and new ideas came daily. There was a thread about using the large figure9 as a suspension device. It was the longest thread for a very long time. If it were not for that thread I am sure there would have never been a Dutch Clip or Dutchware. I couldn't wait to come home and collaborate with my new buddies about how to improve on hammock suspensions. And in this very smart group of people was a real genius. His name was Brandon and he seemed to know everything about rope, knots, and fabrics. I would ask questions to the general forum but secretly hoping Brandon would post the answer. Often I would not be disappointed and he would enlighted me with his wisdom.

Months later he announced he would be starting a hammock business and would be making the Elderado hammock. I was full of disappointment as I knew this would change everything. I knew no longer would this be a group of people who freely put forth ideas into group to see what came out. I had no idea how bad it would get though. I would see one start up after another over the next year and less people sharing ideas. I was a diyer at heart and I could never believe how someone could put so much love and work into something just to ship it to some stranger and never see it again, barbaric sell outs...

However I watch from the beginning as Brandon released his products. They were very good, great as a matter of fact. The Elderado got replaced by the Black Bird with its shelf and footbox. Still years later one of the greatest hammocks to be conceived. Then his mambajamba tarp. I would say many of the tarps today are just clones of the Mambajamba. Then the Yeti quilt. Finally the long awaited Ridge Runner and those great saddlebag pockets. His gear was so well thought out that it has truly stood the test of time. He doesn't come out with a new promotion, new product or even talk on this forum ever. He doesn't have too yet if you look and all the vendors, his has twice as many post as anyone else's. They guy is a genius by all standards. The class by which he has conducted himself. The product line and forethought that went into it. The business sense and seeing the potential of his industry was all first rate.

I have yet to meet Brandon. I am sure I will someday and will probably be starstruck. I have talk to him on the phone and I promise you I listened very closely to every word. Not just what he was saying but why he was saying it. I am proud to say I have done some business with him as I have with most of the fine vendors on here. He has always been 100% a straight shooter. I consider it a privileged to have any association to the man. Many of us here are walking in the footsteps of Giants. One of the great ones that has brought us so much in comfort along with innovation goes by the name WarbonnetGuy.
    Last edited by Dutch; 12-04-2015 at 07:12.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Wow Dutch!

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Great stuff.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Two of my favorite musicians are Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan. Both thought the other was a music genius and both were right. It's interesting and humbling to see a rockstar you admire show admiration for another who has genius, creativity, and talent in their field. But it is that, which makes them great; The ability to recognize genius for genius, and push back. The Beach Boys made Pet Sounds and the Beatles answered with Sgt. Pepper's....

This thread smacks of that. Well written, Dutch. Well Deserved, Brandon
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    L.L Ghost Pepper
    Suspension
    Slings/Dutch Bckl
    Images
    Truly a great story Dutch! You are both pioneers in the industry and well respected by all. I'm honored to have done business with the both of you, and will continue to in the future.
    Till next time,
    Peace Dutch!

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Humility, honesty, and willingness. I admire both of you gentlemen, not just for your contribution to a hobby, a lifestyle, but also for your exemplary application of those principles. Thank you Dutch, and thank you Warbonnet guy..
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It truly has been amazing to watch the development of hammocking. Years ago I did a hike/hang with Dutch (first person I ever talked to about walking the AT), Stormcrow (eating slugs) and Shug (best comedy act I have ever seen in the woods). Little did I know I was in the mist of hammock greatness. Each had their own story to tell. Places they have been and where they were going.

I have never met Brandon, but when I talked with him about the new BB and the shelf I never thought it would be as big as it is today. In my opinion, the BB is the best all around hammock out there simply because of the shelf. The Superfly, I'm guessing, is the all around most popular tarp out there. I'm still using the Yetti purchased years ago. Great functioning, well made products. You can't go wrong.

You all have contributed so much to the hammock way of life and helped shape the industry. Big corp could never have done what was done here. It is all of your contributions that have made this site what it is today.
    Thanks for all the innovations and tutorials to go with it.
    Last edited by Oms; 12-04-2015 at 07:03. Reason: added more

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Kind words Dutch. I like starting the day on a high note!

The Blackbird, Mamajamba, Superfly...man, THE standard. I have all three and will probably never part with them. I have the original BB and it's so great I'm afraid to try the revised version (but I'm sure it's even better).

When I was just starting out I remember Brandon helping me get comfortable in the BB and providing all kinds of feedback and ideas. I didn't know ANYTHING about hammocking to start. After trying so many different hammocks, I'm proud to say I'm still using Brandon's stuff, my first purchase, years later.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have yet to meet Brandon.
    when you finally do you will not be disappointed, i have had the pleasure and here is a guy that has forgotten more than i will ever know about hammocks and yet he listened and even asked questions on a mod i did to one of his blackbirds, you can tell when someone is just placating you and when someone shows genuine interest, he was the latter, just a really nice guy who is a pleasure to have around the campfire

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    A well deserved compliment to Brandon.

I've never met him like most, and only have my experiences buying and using his gear. He always answered my questions through emails, and seems very friendly.

The gear speaks for itself. I have a RR, Spindrift, and two Superfly's. Yep, two. His stuff is well thought out, and clever. How could his stuff be anything other than THE standard, right? I love all of my Warbonnet gear. Even the stuff sacks have an eyelet for the drawcord to go through, so it doesn't put any stress on the fabric. Little ingenious touches like that are what set him and his gear apart from the rest, and put him as the forerunner.

Good stuff!
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast