Hammock
    Eno CamoNest
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    Snugpak Blanket
    Suspension
    Circle Straps

Ridgeline needed on hammock for underquilt?

So I've been hanging for a while now, and just recently bought an underquilt(a Snugpak Underblanket) because I got a really good deal on it. So, my hammock is an Eno Camonest with a Profly had I had been using 50 feet for a continuous ridgeline for my Profly. When I started researching how to set up underquilts, I found that all involved a ridgeline attached directly to the hammock. Is there any way to use an underquilt without a hammock ridgeline? Can you use your tarp ridgeline?
    Thanks,
    D
    Update: The Snugpak Underblanket has 10 tie off points, 4 on each end and 1 on each side in the center. From what I've seen, the majority uses a hammock ridgeline for these tie offs on the side, forming a loop of sorts with knots or using hardware like minibiners to pull up the sides. And another question: What's YOUR setup? How do you hang with your underquilt? Pictures would be cool. I'm just looking for an easy to set up hardware setup on underquilt tieouts.
    Last edited by Deltair; 12-03-2015 at 19:35.
    Slowly swaying in a hammock is my version of a steady morphine drip, without the risk of renal failure.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Just attach quilt to ends of hammock (loops at end of channel)... i would suggest trying out a ridgeline however, just to see if it enhances your overall comfortability.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I don't know of any underquilt that requires the hammock to be set up with a ridgeline. Most just attach to the base of the hammock/suspension points.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    I don't know of any underquilt that requires the hammock to be set up with a ridgeline. Most just attach to the base of the hammock/suspension points.
    I agree.

Some people feel it's necessary to use shockcord up and over the ridgeline to pull the UQ tighter. That makes NO sense to me. I'm big on things working right out of the box. Don't want to mess with stuff that should work right in the first place.

Try attaching it to both ends and make whatever adjustments are available (I'm not familiar with this UQ). I always found I needed to really tighten my underquilts, almost to the point where it just didn't seem right.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltair View Post
    So I've been hanging for a while now, and just recently bought an underquilt(a Snugpak Underblanket) because I got a really good deal on it. So, my hammock is an Eno Camonest with a Profly had I had been using 50 feet for a continuous ridgeline for my Profly. When I started researching how to set up underquilts, I found that all involved a ridgeline attached directly to the hammock. Is there any way to use an underquilt without a hammock ridgeline? Can you use your tarp ridgeline?
    Thanks,
    D
    Update: The Snugpak Underblanket has 10 tie off points, 4 on each end and 1 on each side in the center. From what I've seen, the majority uses a hammock ridgeline for these tie offs on the side, forming a loop of sorts with knots or using hardware like minibiners to pull up the sides. And another question: What's YOUR setup? How do you hang with your underquilt? Pictures would be cool. I'm just looking for an easy to set up hardware setup on underquilt tieouts.
    I find it works better for me to use a separate ridge line. My hammocks (a WBBB XLC and an ENO-like smaller hammock that I added a ridge line to) both have ridge lines but I don't use the hammock's ridge line for the SnugPak under blanket, nor do I use my tarp ridge line. I use a separate ridge line that I just keep rolled up in each bag of each of my SnugPak underblankets. The ridge line is made of lash-it, so it weighs almost nothing. I have a prussic knotted loop near each end and I use one tiny biner on each each end to fasten the two long side end ropes to the prussic knotted loop, then move the prussic to adjust the fit, as well as cinching up the side cords at the middle to create a "cup" around my hammock. I hang the ridge line for the SnugPak just a bit (an inch or so) higher than the height of the gathered ends of my hammock. (The two middle ends I drape over the nub of my gathered end using a single biner on each end to connect the two inside ropes from each end. I tied one end of each cord to the SnugPak and tied a loop in the other end of each cord to clip the biner in to. I use four biners...two on each end...one for the two inner cords and one for the two outer cords. The inner cords hook over the nub end of the hammock. The outer cords run up to the ridge line over the hammock.)

It's totally personal preference. Whatever way gives you the best conformation to your hammock is what you should go with. I just find it quick and easy to get a good fit by using a separate ridge line just for the underblanket itself. A separate ridge line is cheap to make and only takes a few seconds to hang and it packs easily away with the underblanket until the next time.

The advantage of fastening the long sides of the SnugPak underblanket to a ridge line is that you will be able to bring the sides of the SnugPak higher up on your hammock that way ...which is a major advantage when it comes to blocking out wind. Also, I've found my SnugPak is warmest when it has a very small space between the bottom curve of my loaded hammock and the underblanket. Keep the ENDS and sides snug against your hammock without any gaps, but don't let the weight in your hammock press down on the underblanket itself. So far, in the past month I've slept comfortably down to 34 degrees (in very windy conditions) with the underblanket alone and down to 30 degrees quite comfortably with a thin closed cell pad teamed up with my SnugPak underblanket.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 12-03-2015 at 22:14.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    image.jpeg

Sorry this is such a poor picture for what you wanted, but it's all I have right now. About a week ago my daughter and I camped using the SnugPak underblankets. You can see my partially open WBBB XLC on the bottom, wrapped in a SnugPak underblanket and my daughter's very ENO-like hammock hung above mine, also wrapped in a SnugPak underblanket. Looks like her end was gapping more than I realized, but maybe it's just because she was sitting up instead of laying back in the hammock, because she stayed quite warm in it the night before. I wish you could see the connection points and dedicated ridge lines in this photo, but unfortunately, you can't really.

The wind was ferocious that trip and bitterly cold blowing right off the lake onto us. The stakes for the tarp got ripped out of the ground several times that night. I had a thin closed cell pad in my hammock in addition to the underblanket, but my daughter turned her nose up at being bothered with an obnoxious pad and only used the underblanket. She stayed perfectly warm and slept through the night like a rock! This picture was taken the following day.

(Deltair, if you want, I can snap detailed photos next time I hang the hammocks, which will probably be Monday. Just PM me and let me know if you're still wanting detailed photos of the connection points.)
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 12-04-2015 at 06:20.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am SO NOT tech savvy.
    I have no idea why my pics that are right side up here on my phone, uploaded upside down here on the forum. Nor do I know how to now fix them. Sorry.

Anyway, in the half hour between when the mail arrived and when I had to leave to pick my daughter up from school, I hurriedly threw up (and then tore back down) her birthday present WBBB that artived in the mail today. Since I momentarily had a hammock hanging, I threw one of our SnugPak underblankets on it so I could show you how I hang the underblanket using a separate ridge line. The outer cords on both ends are secured to the ridge line. The inner cords on one end secured fine to the knob of the gathered end, but on the other end it seemed to work better stringing it through the cinch buckles of the suspension.

You know, I suspect that using those triangle thingees they often reference here on the forum would accomplish the same thing I'm accomplishing with an extra ridge line...changing the trajectory or the outer cords.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 12-04-2015 at 22:45.

• + New Posts