DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing

secondary suspension on a Jarbidge UQ

I'm thinking of putting a secondary suspension on my Jarbidge UQ. I've been thinking I'll put grosgrain loops every few inches down the side seam of the UQ and run a length of shock cord through. I'd attach this secondary suspension to the primary via a prusik, or some sliding knot, to the primary. My two purposes in this is to get the quilt to snug up against my legs better, specifically my thighs, and to be able to clip this to a dutch quilt hook at my shoulder to prevent the quilt from sliding out from under me during the night.

Has anyone done something similar on a Jarbidge, or have any ideas/feedback on this idea?

Lindrome

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    What I did with it and seems to work well for me is I split the shock cord in half on each end and then use mitten hooks and cordlocks to take it up to prussiks on my ridgeline. This allows me to adjust each corner individually.

Of course if you have an integrated net this wont work.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lindrome View Post
    I'm thinking of putting a secondary suspension on my Jarbidge UQ. I've been thinking I'll put grosgrain loops every few inches down the side seam of the UQ and run a length of shock cord through. I'd attach this secondary suspension to the primary via a prusik, or some sliding knot, to the primary. My two purposes in this is to get the quilt to snug up against my legs better, specifically my thighs, and to be able to clip this to a dutch quilt hook at my shoulder to prevent the quilt from sliding out from under me during the night.

Has anyone done something similar on a Jarbidge, or have any ideas/feedback on this idea?

Lindrome
    I did this and it didn't work out so well. The quilt bunches up.

Using triangles or just a prussik up to the ridge line works. Also, if you already have grosgrain loops in the middle of the quilt, you can loop some shock cord up and over the ridge line and clip using a dutch quilt hook or something.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    Second idea, after Ratdog's input: put the channel on each side and replace the entire suspension with the one going through the side channel. Then the quilt will slide for adjustment (like a lot of other 3/4 UQs) and I can fix it in place with the dutch quilt hook at my shoulder similar to the UGQ mod for dream hammocks.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Often thigh/leg "sag" is a symptom of over-tightening the foot channel of your UQ. It seems counter-intuitive but try loosening it to the point where it just barely snugs up against your legs/feet. It helps to have someone from outside the hammock do this for you.

My approach with my DIY UQ was to put grosgrain loops at each corner. The primary suspension runs through side channels and the grosgrain loops at the end to take some of the stress of the end of the side channel. I then tied the secondary suspension shock cord to each grosgrain tab (one shock cord on each end). Both the primary and secondary suspensions are clipped together in an s-biner which I clip to my suspension.

The primary I tightened up and tied off to the point that it lifted the hammock a bit. The secondary suspension I tightened to hold the UQ where I want it (shoulders to feet in my case).

I think this is the "standard" setup for primary/secondary, but I don't really know.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts