WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchbuckle/Straps

Okefenokee Trip February

Ok was trying to get some info on hanging in the Okefenokee. I have a permit for two nights the first night at Floyd's Island and the second night at Mixon's hammock. Anybody ever hung in either one of these places? Thanks.
    “The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchbuckle/Straps
    Ok looks like I'll be doing some groundbreaking on this trip!
    “The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Images
    We've put in at the suwannee river sill before and kayak'd down to Griffis fish camp then on to Fargo. I haven't been above the sill.
    Please share your experience after the trip. I'm very interested to know how it goes.
    We're going to do a 4 night trip in early April, but we haven't decided on where to put in. It's either going to be above the sill or White Springs (I've done this trip before and it was awseome!)

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchbuckle/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishom13 View Post
    We've put in at the suwannee river sill before and kayak'd down to Griffis fish camp then on to Fargo. I haven't been above the sill.
    Please share your experience after the trip. I'm very interested to know how it goes.
    We're going to do a 4 night trip in early April, but we haven't decided on where to put in. It's either going to be above the sill or White Springs (I've done this trip before and it was awseome!)
    Absolutely will report on the trip. Should be a good one.

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchbuckle/Straps
    Ok so back from the trip. Okefenokee was an OK trip for me. Spent the first night at Stephen C. Foster State Park. For hammock hanging spot 19 worked out great. Couple groups of great trees for hanging. Got up the second morning and rented the canoe and were on the water and on our way by 8:30 headed towards Floyd's Island about a 9 mile paddle. First couple of miles were great. Plenty of alligators, birds, turtles great scenery. Then you turn off the main waterway and paddle through some very cool narrower areas. Again very cool. But you begin to notice you are paddling against a good current. And after miles 5 or 6 you take notice of the heavy rental canoe paddles that are getting heavier by the stroke. The last couple of miles are basically down a (what my buddy called) a 17 foot wide ditch. Floyd's Island was interesting. Reversed the trip the next morning. Much easier paddle back. I'm not a super experienced paddler but I have done a few trips in different areas of the country. For me this was a lot of paddling for the payoff. But for a quick weekend I would stay at Stephen Foster overnight and do paddle trips in and out in the morning when the wildlife is more active.

And FYI you will not make any friends if you do an early morning departure for the Atlanta airport at 4:45 am. Especially if you accidentally set off your car alarm while trying to avoid the "chirp, chirp" of the normal way to unlock your car by using the actual key. Follow that up with having to wake a State Park official from their early morning slumber because the entrance/exit gate is closed at 5 am in the morning and you need to leave. BTW the sign says the gate closes at 10 pm but neglects to state when it opens. Yeah made some friends that morning!!

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    We've done multiple swamp trips at the platforms. I'm not sure about Floyd's, but most of the reservable sites are roofed platforms with room to set up several hammocks using the vertical platform poles.

• + New Posts