Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

Lightbulb HOW TO: DIY Tie-Dye of HyperD 1.0/1.6

I posted this on facebook, but I'm going to post it here too. Please note: These instructions have only been tested on HyperD 1.6, HyperD 1.0 and 1.9 Ripstop Nylon.

After cutting 2 yards of material into test swatches, testing different dye ratios and soaking time, I was able to figure out the ratio and time for the most vibrant colors.

Follow these preparation steps before you begin:
    Step 1 Dress like Walter White (seriously.. you will get dye on you) Heavy rubber gloves, apron, or at least clothes you don't like. (tighty whities optional)
    Step 2 Be somewhere you won't care about getting dye splattered around. Or more importantly, somewhere your significant other won't mind dye being splashed around.
    Step 3 Tie off your fabric however you want. There are entire sites dedicated to various folding techniques. Google "Tie Dye folding" and find one you like.

The Formula: (will treat Approx 5 yards of material at a time)

1x 8oz Bottle of Liquid Rit Dye
    2 Cups Vinegar
    2 Cups Water

• Heat on a stovetop/burner to approx 180°, stirring occasionally to prevent the solids in the dye from settling.

• CAREFULLY pour liquid into a gallon sized ziploc freezer bag. (The freezer bag is important here, They're a heavier grade plastic than the "storage" ziplocs and hold up to heat better)

• Add tied fabric.

• CAREFULLY squeeze out as much air as you can, and seal off bag. The idea is for all the fabric to be submerged in dye.
    let fabric sit for 90 minutes.

• Using tongs, or gloves, remove fabric from bag, and rinse in water until no more dye comes out. Do this in a bucket or a stainless sink. Ceramics and acrylics will get stained by the dye.

• Hang to dry, or retie and dye in the same color, or a darker color

After it dried, I hemmed and channeled the hammock blank, then ran it through a few cycles in the washing machine on cold with a color safe detergent. This helped remove the lingering smell of vinegar from the material.
    I had a few people suggest to me to leave the material wrapped up soaking in dye for 24 hours. I found it wasn't required. I did a dozen test swatches at different time intervals (30 minutes to 6 hours) and found that after the 90 minute mark, all following swatches were just as vibrant.

I added a full net, bishop bag, RL, RL organizer, and cinch buckle suspension system complete with Multibuckles. Without the straps, the hammock weighs in at 19.9 ounces, and is 11' long

The Hammock Body started as White HyperD 1.6. The bishop bag and RL organizer started as Spectra Yellow HyperD 1.0.

IMGP8327.JPG
    Multi Buckles!

IMGP8330.JPG
    Ridgeline Organizer, Just big enough for a headlamp, a Kindle Paperwhite, and a pair of glasses.

IMGP8356.JPG
    The Full hammock with net.

IMGP8358.JPG
    Closeup of the stitching and #3 sliders.

IMGP8359.JPG
    A peek inside

IMGP8362.JPG
    A different angle

IMGP8363.JPG
    A little on the heavy side. But it makes up for it in cool.

IMGP8360.JPG
    The Triangle at the peak is made of 1.9, allowing me to use all 3 test fabrics in 1 hammock.

12301708_558155344335105_5808302074909232090_n.jpg
    A pic from before the net, giving you a better view of the pattern.

IMGP8329.JPG
    The HyperD 1.0 Bishop Bag, with Glowire cordage.

Hammock
    DIY insulated
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.

I see some tie dye camo in my future!

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Awesome! Thank you for sharing. I think Kyle may soon have a rush ordering spree on his white fabrics.

I've been intrigued by this idea before and never thought that it would turn out as well as you're showing, with these fabrics anyway. I might have to play with this idea, after I finish up some other tasks on my large diy list.

So after your experience with this process and these fabrics, would you think/guess that darker shades could still have the potential to turn out? I have a purple, black and pink gear arrangement for my daughter. The first thought that comes to my mind, since I "need" to make her a new top quilt, would be to use a pink hd1.0 and tie dye it with black dye.
    I've never actually toyed with tie-dying before, so I'm not even sure if black dyes work or if they completely overwhelm the base color.

Again, this looks awesome. Glad you shared here as well.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    this is awesome as my white hammock just arrived!!
    Thanks so much

http://www.infinityoutfitter.com/sto...e_Hammock.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    Awesome! Thank you for sharing. I think Kyle may soon have a rush ordering spree on his white fabrics.

I've been intrigued by this idea before and never thought that it would turn out as well as you're showing, with these fabrics anyway. I might have to play with this idea, after I finish up some other tasks on my large diy list.

So after your experience with this process and these fabrics, would you think/guess that darker shades could still have the potential to turn out? I have a purple, black and pink gear arrangement for my daughter. The first thought that comes to my mind, since I "need" to make her a new top quilt, would be to use a pink hd1.0 and tie dye it with black dye.
    I've never actually toyed with tie-dying before, so I'm not even sure if black dyes work or if they completely overwhelm the base color.

Again, this looks awesome. Glad you shared here as well.
    I will actually be dying some Hot Pink HD 1.6 and 1.9 this weekend with Purple dye, so I'll post some photos and let you know how it turns out and if I needed to change anything up.

One thing I learned really quickly is that you can use predyed fabric. I ordered white specifically to tie dye, but then grabbed some spare Spectra Yellow HyperD I had laying around and successfully dyed it. I've got some Robin's Egg blue I'm going to hit up with some "Denim Blue" dye, and maybe some purple and see how it turns out.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    this is awesome as my white hammock just arrived!!
    Thanks so much

http://www.infinityoutfitter.com/sto...e_Hammock.html
    That's actually what started me on this course.. I had a white hammock from them that I'd been putting off dying forever. I PM'd Infinity Outfitters and got their directions for doing it. I followed the instructions they gave me and wasn't really happy with the results ( I gave it to a friend). So I ordered some more raw fabric and started tweaking with the ratios.. The result is the hammock in the first post.

I also did this a few weeks ago, shortly after doing the IO hammock:

12248159_556490571168249_1591056651661081935_o.jpg

A 2 yard cut of White Calandered HyperD 1.0 .. I think I may turn it into a down UQ for my daughter.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    I will actually be dying some Hot Pink HD 1.6 and 1.9 this weekend with Purple dye, so I'll post some photos and let you know how it turns out and if I needed to change anything up.
    Looking forward to it. The hot pink with purple dye would be another great choice in my daughter's gear color scheme. Your white with purple pic looks really good as well.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    hk2001:
    soooooo...... when I get around to tye dying this thing, would you be willing to add some mosquito netting for me
    for a fee? as thread injection is not one of my forte's
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images