Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MarlnSpke

First Hang! - Hunt Trip

Well I got out for a quick hunt trip last week. 11/21 was the Gun season opener here in OK so I thought I would pass on the opening weekend since I am primarily a public land hunter, not by choice of course. But the opening weekend is always a nightmare so I thought timing it for the week days would be the way to go. Well it was still packed with hunters. I didn't get any of the spots I wanted to hunt. I finally found an area that didn't already have hunters there. Though gut piles at the entrances assured me they were. So I tried to make the best of it. I headed out and found a nice spot bordering some private land and was able to watch a couple wood thickets and monitor the trails connecting them. Here was the spot and the view. It was a darn good natural blind. It required minimal trimming with the axe and saw.

here's the full side to side views for ya

sunset was gorgeous as usual

Didn't see any deer. I headed back out of that direct area and decided to hunt it again the next morning since it was the only spot I knew I had and it seemed awfully good. I got back to the entrance of the area and made camp in the dark. These next shots didn't turn out so great in the dark but they give the idea I was dealing with to get a suitable spot to hang the hammock. First off was sawing up a deadfall tree and then clearing out some underbrush.

this was my first hang and I had to get creative. That forked tree on the left was to be one end and to the right you can barely make out a couple trees and that was the other end. The left tree was not the size you want. I just decided to hang low in case it gave. It was the only hang option in this area.

all cleared out

The wind this whole trip was blowing around 20-30mph and gusting at 40mph. It wasn't letting up so I pitched the tarp ultra low on the hammock to try and block most of the wind.

once in the hammock with my weight the ridgeline was about an inch lower than the tarp.

dinner was a big cup of noodles and a can of chicken added to it. This is actually a pretty hardy and easy meal to make. I used the little alcohol stove. Which was a pain in this wind. I had it in the back of the truck and it was still kind of a pain but did work out.

after dinner I crawled in the hammock. Temps started out around 40 and then got down to about 30 with the wind blowing. I wore a layer of fleece pants and shirt and was too hot for the first couple hours. I used an Italian wool blanket under the MSS with just the bivy and patrol bag. I was plenty warm all night but the constant wind kept me awake most of the night. The trees haven't dropped all their leaves yet here so it was a noisy night.

morning came and I packed down camp and headed back out to the same spot and enjoyed a sunrise

Well the morning came and went and no deer. I decided to head out and see what other spots might be open. Found one and headed in to settle in for the afternoon and evening. Decided to setup on a spot that had a brutalized rub next to a feeder. This was the first feeder I have come across that the Wildlife Department setup. On the map it was marked as a food plot and they are usually little green wheat fields that are small in size. I thought this spot had a lot going for it so I sat it out in hopes the deer hadn't been ran out of the area.

That was the last photo I took. Lots of animal activity went on but no deer. Had multiple possums go by and a lot of owls in the woods and I did get to see one drop down and get a rabbit. That was cool to see. But that's how this hunt ended. I'll get back out around Christmas for another crack at them and hit the woods as much as I can on my break.

For now though it's Deer 1 OutdoorEnvy 0.

Thanks for looking!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Thanks for the pics! Different country than we hunt up here in the mountains, but beautiful. I know deer would have been great, but it's always nice to get out & spend some time in the wild either way - At least that's how I've always felt about it.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MarlnSpke
    Quote Originally Posted by Florit View Post
    Thanks for the pics! Different country than we hunt up here in the mountains, but beautiful. I know deer would have been great, but it's always nice to get out & spend some time in the wild either way - At least that's how I've always felt about it.
    Same here Florit! If I had to get a deer to have fun I would have stopped hunting a long time ago... taking in sunrises and sunsets from the wild is it's own mental trophy.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Great trip report, thanks for posting! I've hunted deer all my life but never in a place like that or while hammock camping. Unfortunately I'm all too familiar with hunting public land. My daughter killed a nice deer opening day on some conservation land in Missouri, so it can be done but it does take some work and luck!

Thanks again for posting!
    Gideon

Hammock
    DYI 11 Hexon,1.9camo,Argon1.6,12'XL
    Tarp
    Sil Poly,Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Good trip report. It's hard to get a deer on public land especially with the wind howling like that.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    cheap tent tarp
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    I know it was fun I've been a few times this yr but nothing to show for it. I did have luck at doing some trapping100_1265.jpg I love to camp on the trap line sorry had know pictures of me camping.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MarlnSpke
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Great trip report, thanks for posting! I've hunted deer all my life but never in a place like that or while hammock camping. Unfortunately I'm all too familiar with hunting public land. My daughter killed a nice deer opening day on some conservation land in Missouri, so it can be done but it does take some work and luck!

Thanks again for posting!
    Gideon
    Thanks Gideon. It beats not hunting at all that's for sure. Congrats to your daughter on her harvest. I'm hoping my daughter will be coming out with me in a couple short years.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Good trip report. It's hard to get a deer on public land especially with the wind howling like that.
    Thank you Spark! I will also let you know I made up hammocks 2 and 3 yesterday. They will be part of the kids Christmas haul this year! Pics coming at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunpapa View Post
    I know it was fun I've been a few times this yr but nothing to show for it. I did have luck at doing some trapping100_1265.jpg I love to camp on the trap line sorry had know pictures of me camping.
    Nice job Shotgunpapa! That looks like a biggin! I heard their tales are considered a delicacy by some. Have you ever tried it!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Just a work of caution guys. Please keep the topic on this thread on the hammocks and not the hunting/guns. This is a hammock forum.

Thanks for your assistance.

Just for clarity from the TOS
    IV. Political, Religious and Controversial Posts. Hammock Forums has a strict rule against political, religious, and firearm related posts. This isn't about First Amendment rights but about keeping this particular site respectful and on-topic. The moderators will delete such posts, often without notification to the poster.

All threads not directly related to hammocks will be moved to the Donating Members section. Fewer posts, but higher quality ones focused on our primary mission area, is a perfectly acceptable outcome of this policy. Please note that if you are not a donating member, you will not have access to a thread you started that gets moved to the off-topic area. You may either participate on topic in the free access areas or donate to get access.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    yukon outfitters w/ net
    Tarp
    Paha Que double
    Insulation
    50 degree sleeping
    Suspension
    dutch w/ cinch
    im up in northern OK and i thank you for not coming up here LOL i know it sounds rude, but our little spot of land we have here gets invaded every hunting season by HUNDREDS of hunters from OKC/Tulsa going down the roads surrounding it theres like 10 campers per mile setup all up and down the road not one of them are local makes it kind of hard on us to find anywhere to hunt same as you i didn't see one deer all rifle season

setup looks pretty good man sounds like i need to get me a wool blanket

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MarlnSpke
    Quote Originally Posted by wagex View Post
    im up in northern OK and i thank you for not coming up here LOL i know it sounds rude, but our little spot of land we have here gets invaded every hunting season by HUNDREDS of hunters from OKC/Tulsa going down the roads surrounding it theres like 10 campers per mile setup all up and down the road not one of them are local makes it kind of hard on us to find anywhere to hunt same as you i didn't see one deer all rifle season

setup looks pretty good man sounds like i need to get me a wool blanket
    LOL! I know what you mean all too well! The wool blanket was great. I had another one on standby to go on top if needed. Wool blankets are great when carrying them on your back isn't involved! Car camping and canoe trips though they are great to have a long. Good luck if you get out again!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast