DIY Tablecoth
    Tarp
    Cheap and Camo
    Insulation
    Camping sleep pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps

OMG - this crazy thing actually works!

In the last week I've gone from lusting after hammock designs on the internet, to being a hammock owner.
    With the help of a member here, I acquired a nylon tablecloth, (in a nifty electric guacamole color) and haphazardly gathered the ends of the tablecloth and put an overhand knot in each end.
    After a quick trip to Harbor Freight, I picked up a pair of the lashing straps in blaze orange.
    60 seconds work with a hacksaw removed the buckles, and now I had a pair of suspension straps.
    Not having a handy pair of trees to affix my new creation too, I was afraid it might be awhile before I could get out to the woods to try out my contraption.
    But luckily. newbie enthusiasm overrode dignity and I decided to hoist it aloft in my front yard.
    I lashed one end to the oak tree in the front yard, and the positioned my truck to avail myself of the trailer hitch on the truck's bumper.
    I wrapped one strap around the knot on the hammock and did a quick larkshead to secure it, and I lashed the free end around the tree with my attempt at a Speer knot.
    On the other end of the hammock, I ran the free end of the strap through the overhand knot in the fabric, and did another (close?) approximation of a larkshead.
    I tested both ends by pulling on them, and they seemed solid, so I put the last strap around the bumper hitch, put in a MSH, and turned to admire my work.
    Dang!! Looks kind of like a real hammock!!
    I tentatively eased into the hammock and leaned back to try it out.
    Whoa!! Seems my Speer knot was a little loose. It slipped a bit and dropped the hammock down a few inches.
    I retied the knot, making sure it was tighter this time and retried the entry.
    Success at last!
    I reclined back into the hammock and was amazed at how comfortable it was. Almost like floating in air. There was also a gentle swaying that was seductively calming and welcoming.
    There was a bit of a 'cocooning' effect with the nylon closing at the top, but I'm not sure if I actually minded it. It was also a bit tight around my shoulders- but that could just be the bad angle I tied it into due to the truck bumper being below waist height. .
    Even though the angle was off. it was really comfortable and relaxing. I laid in the hammock for awhile, and was debating on whether I should sleep in it tonight - strictly for testing purposes of course. I decided to spare my girlfriend from having to explain the odd goings on in the front yard (pretty sure passing cars were slowing down to get a better look) and moved inside for the night.
    Can't wait to spend my first night in it.

The member here gave me a great discount, but counting the table cloth at $20 retail, and $3 for the suspension straps, I think it's pretty easy to put together a viable budget hammock for about $25.

( the HF straps don't really inspire confidence, so I'll be upgrading to some from Dutch ASAP, but I 'm 6ft and 190, the HF straps should be fine for lighter folks).

Hammock
    Dutch & DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    H. Anchors, Straps
    Get yourself a ridge line and play around with the length. That may help with the shoulder squeeze. I've been sleeping mine once a week the last few. Been nice and cool here in Florida.
    Formerly known as - SloGo

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    Welcome to the rabbithole...
    I dare you not to spend $1000 in the next year.
    “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    So the other end of the hammock is on the truck's bumper? That's a pretty high bumper, right?

Hammock
    Eno/ table cloth
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    0*Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DIY Outdoors View Post
    In the last week I've gone from lusting after hammock designs on the internet, to being a hammock owner.
    With the help of a member here, I acquired a nylon tablecloth, (in a nifty electric guacamole color) and haphazardly gathered the ends of the tablecloth and put an overhand knot in each end.
    After a quick trip to Harbor Freight, I picked up a pair of the lashing straps in blaze orange.
    60 seconds work with a hacksaw removed the buckles, and now I had a pair of suspension straps.
    Not having a handy pair of trees to affix my new creation too, I was afraid it might be awhile before I could get out to the woods to try out my contraption.
    But luckily. newbie enthusiasm overrode dignity and I decided to hoist it aloft in my front yard.
    I lashed one end to the oak tree in the front yard, and the positioned my truck to avail myself of the trailer hitch on the truck's bumper.
    I wrapped one strap around the knot on the hammock and did a quick larkshead to secure it, and I lashed the free end around the tree with my attempt at a Speer knot.
    On the other end of the hammock, I ran the free end of the strap through the overhand knot in the fabric, and did another (close?) approximation of a larkshead.
    I tested both ends by pulling on them, and they seemed solid, so I put the last strap around the bumper hitch, put in a MSH, and turned to admire my work.
    Dang!! Looks kind of like a real hammock!!
    I tentatively eased into the hammock and leaned back to try it out.
    Whoa!! Seems my Speer knot was a little loose. It slipped a bit and dropped the hammock down a few inches.
    I retied the knot, making sure it was tighter this time and retried the entry.
    Success at last!
    I reclined back into the hammock and was amazed at how comfortable it was. Almost like floating in air. There was also a gentle swaying that was seductively calming and welcoming.
    There was a bit of a 'cocooning' effect with the nylon closing at the top, but I'm not sure if I actually minded it. It was also a bit tight around my shoulders- but that could just be the bad angle I tied it into due to the truck bumper being below waist height. .
    Even though the angle was off. it was really comfortable and relaxing. I laid in the hammock for awhile, and was debating on whether I should sleep in it tonight - strictly for testing purposes of course. I decided to spare my girlfriend from having to explain the odd goings on in the front yard (pretty sure passing cars were slowing down to get a better look) and moved inside for the night.
    Can't wait to spend my first night in it.

The member here gave me a great discount, but counting the table cloth at $20 retail, and $3 for the suspension straps, I think it's pretty easy to put together a viable budget hammock for about $25.

( the HF straps don't really inspire confidence, so I'll be upgrading to some from Dutch ASAP, but I 'm 6ft and 190, the HF straps should be fine for lighter folks).
    My favorite hammock is my purple table cloth. Thanks Sue Miller
    I'm not completely stupid, just "Nucking Futz"

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle

I built a stand and moved it into the house so I can sleep in it every chance I can. My girlfriend doesn't like it when she spends the night sometimes. I make a sacrifice and sleep with her once in awhile. I'm an addict now also.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockw3rk View Post
    oh yeah.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecoth
    Tarp
    Cheap and Camo
    Insulation
    Camping sleep pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Originally Posted by Clockw3rk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    oh yeah.....
    It's not too bad...so far I've only bought $20 worth of stuff from Dutch (this week).

well... there was the $35 worth of tarps - hey! they were on sale! ( at 2 different stores)
    But those were just cheap ones... I need "real" tarp next, maybe a Kelty...

And a new stove, I'll probably make an alcohol stove (or 3) and then get a Primus, and one of those cheap knock offs from Amazon - just for science's sake- so I can compare the 2.

And I've been checking Craigslist, I have my eye on a couple of older sewing machines....

Then all I'll need is a sleeping bag- OK and maybe a bivy bag, I always wanted to try one of those - and then a poncho liner to make a UQ.
    SEEEEE... I can stop at any time.

Hammock
    Acquisition
    Malady

edit to add - oh yeah, now i need a Go Pro HD camera to document all my adventures.
    (I'm blaming Alastair Humphreys http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/for this part)
    Last edited by DIY Outdoors; 12-12-2015 at 16:32.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecoth
    Tarp
    Cheap and Camo
    Insulation
    Camping sleep pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    So the other end of the hammock is on the truck's bumper? That's a pretty high bumper, right?
    It's not totally redneck/brodozer level...

The driveway has a bit of an angle to it that gave me most of the elevation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast