Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Clark Mark 2
    I just picked up the hammock fever myself this last fall, but I have a solid amount of disposable income, and bought expensive hammocks. Reading these forums sort of inspires me to make my own gear, and not just a hammock. You never know when those DYI skills will be a lifesaver

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.7 oz gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    New River UQ,
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DIY Outdoors View Post
    It's not too bad...so far I've only bought $20 worth of stuff from Dutch (this week).

well... there was the $35 worth of tarps - hey! they were on sale! ( at 2 different stores)
    But those were just cheap ones... I need "real" tarp next, maybe a Kelty...

And a new stove, I'll probably make an alcohol stove (or 3) and then get a Primus, and one of those cheap knock offs from Amazon - just for science's sake- so I can compare the 2.

And I've been checking Craigslist, I have my eye on a couple of older sewing machines....

Then all I'll need is a sleeping bag- OK and maybe a bivy bag, I always wanted to try one of those - and then a poncho liner to make a UQ.
    SEEEEE... I can stop at any time.

Hammock
    Acquisition
    Malady

edit to add - oh yeah, now i need a Go Pro HD camera to document all my adventures.
    (I'm blaming Alastair Humphreys http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/for this part)
    I might make a suggestion on how to approach gearing up based on my own experiences and where I could have saved myself a fair amount of money along the way. I compromised on a few items when I was getting started. For example I had a 0 degree, heavy, bulky sleeping bag already that was working since I wasn't backpacking yet but planned to get geared up for it. Instead of going for a high quality purpose made top quilt I bought a kelty cosmic down bag and used it as a top quilt to save on bulk and weight and to be able to have something a little more useful sooner rather than later. Time went by and I ended up with an HG 20 degree TQ that is under half the weight and size of my Kelty sleeping bag. So If I had just used the bag I had till I could save enough to get a quality piece of gear that I knew I would eventually get anyways first I would have saved a bunch of money. So, for example if you are considering a Kelty tarp just to save money and thinking you will eventually buy say a Superfly or some other high quality silnylon tarp later I would recommend waiting a little longer to save up what you need to get the higher quality gear when you do get it if you have what you need to get by for now. I realize everyone's situation is different but I wish I had done what I am suggesting for what it's worth. Also, based on my own experience, it sounds like you are hooked on the whole hammock thing already and you might as well just come to terms with it now. Welcome to the club!

It sounds like you're having a lot of fun already and that's what counts.

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DIY Outdoors View Post
    I lashed one end to the oak tree in the front yard, and the positioned my truck to avail myself of the trailer hitch on the truck's bumper.

Rule#1

Be sure the keys are in your pocket!

Happy hanging brother!
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockw3rk View Post
    Welcome to the rabbithole...
    I dare you not to spend $1000 in the next year.
    Bwaaahaahaha! Can't be done!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post
    Rule#1

Be sure the keys are in your pocket!

Happy hanging brother!
    Rule #2

Don't get in the hammock while wearing the pants that have the keys in the pocket...

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Welcome to the obsession. From your handle I'm guessing the DIY bug already hit. So far I have made all my hammocks, quilts, and tarps. The only problem with that is you can also become addicted to sewing machines, I have 13 or so now and am always looking for another.

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Welcome to the obsession. From your handle I'm guessing the DIY bug already hit. So far I have made all my hammocks, quilts, and tarps. The only problem with that is you can also become addicted to sewing machines, I have 13 or so now and am always looking for another.
    Uh oh, I have been perusing the sewing machine threads! 13 machines! Great googaly moogaly! Do they have places you can go for help? I'm likin the 801.
    “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    13 is only a drop in the bucket. I met a guy that has over 100 treadle sewing machines. He has a 3 car garage and has to park outside, and the bathroom was the only room in the house that didn't have a sewing machine in it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12