ENO DBL NEST
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Grand Tetons, Paintbrush/Cascade Loop

Has anyone ever Hammocked in the Cascade/ Paintbrush loop area? Are there any trees in the camping Zones? The Northfork, SouthFork, and Holly Lake Zones are the areas in which we be looking to make camp. Were not opposed to being a good distance off the trail, or away from water. Just need to know if there are trees capable of hanging from.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    I have hiked in that area a couple times. In July 2012, I day hiked up Cascade to Lake Solitude. In August 2014, I day hikied up Paintbrush to Holly Lake, and then did a four-night backpack loop, starting at Death Canyon trailhead, and hiking the valley trail, up Cascade, SouthFork Cascade, Alaska basin, Death Canyon Shelf, and down death canyon. Unfortunately, this was all before I was hammocking, so I wasn't in the habit of checking out every location for hang spots. Nevertheless, here is what I can recall:

I think you can find places to hang in South Fork Cascade and Lower Paintbrush camping zone, but North Fork Cascade I would not count on; I recall it being mostly treeless. I think there are plenty of trees near Holly Lake, but that is a specific campsite, rather than a zone, and I don't remember actually seeing the campsite. Although not in your itinerary, the Death Canyon camping zone, and parts of Alaska basin are also hangable, but Death Canyon shelf is probably not.

If I ever do a return visit, I would bring the hammock, but include a pad either in addition or instead of my underquilt, in case the dreaded "go to ground" becomes necessary.

Hammock
    ENO DBL NEST
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Thanks for the info... That helps out a lot... Hopefully we can find somewhere to Hang at the Northfork site. Might just have to make a stealth site off the beaten path or close to the campsite.. Thanks again!!

• + New Posts