DD Jungle Hammock for someone 6'1"?

Hi All,
    I'm planning on buying my first hammock soon. I was looking at the BlackBird XLC but after looking around the forums and web a bit I came across the DD Superlight Jungle. I really like the versatility this hammock offers. The videos say it is good for people up to 6'4" or so. Does anyone have experience with these hammocks? The also have the Frontline XL which could work but it doesn't have the waterproof layer as far as I can tell.

Thanks,
    Slisher

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    DD hammocks are good quality, I am 5'-11" 185lb, I have 2 frontline hammocks and tarps to go with them. I had 2 go a different route and go with a longer hammock. So now I use these hammocks for friends and family and I use my new hammock. I am not sure about the DD xl frontline. But from my experience everything I have ordered from the other side of the pond has been small, sleeping bags, hammocks, and clothes. I know this probably does not help you but just thought I would throw this out there. Thx, Rick..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick68 View Post
    I had 2 go a different route and go with a longer hammock.
    Thanks Rick. So what hammock did you go with?

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    i have a DD with integrated bug net.

here's a few comments about what i know about DD hammocks. i bought mine years ago along with a tarp. it was a whim. after i got it i started looking at youtube videos.

DD hammocks are tight line hammocks; meaning that they're designed for super tight suspensions and NOT a 30* angle type of hang. that said, they are not DIAGONAL hang hammocks. this is important.

if you get such a hammock, then much of the discussion here on the forum will not apply to you. it is a different animal.

DD hammocks tend to be shorter and narrower.

when i got it, i tried the tight line method. i prefer the 30* diagonal hang.

it is NOT comparable to the blackbird AT ALL. they are different philosophies.

I SAY THIS with the caveat that the DD model you're looking at might be of traditional style [30* diagonal hang]. if it is, then you can disregard what i'm saying.

CHECK YOUTUBE and see how folks are hanging it. if they bear down tight on the suspension and tend to lay straight as opposed to diagonal, then you're in for a different experience than the 30* school.

good luck.

EDIT: i'm 6'1"; 180.

sv-

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Hey slisher, I went with the 10' Hammeck Netty. No complaints here, and my son is 6'-6" and lays in it with no problems. I am not sure what your willing to spend on a hammock but I am looking at the sparrow from Dream Hammocks "my next purchase". Our you could go the DIY route and try to make your own. I have no DIY skills so I rely on others.Rick..

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I have a dd frontline xl and at 6'2 and 375 it's fine . Plenty of room and you can get a diagnal, but not as much as A wbbb. But then again it's not needed.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    I am over 6" and 195 lbs and have been happy with my DD Frontline. Not sure how the Jungle compares as far as dimensions go. It isn't asym but I still get a diagonal lay.
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quite honestly, there are better options - especially in the US. As already mentioned, DD hammocks are short. 270cm equals about 8.8'. Most people your size prefer an 11' hammock. And if you look at e.g. Dutch's no-net single layer hammocks (you have the choice between 10' and 11' no-net hammocks), you'll get a longer hammock with a better suspension and not much more weight. And the fabric will likely be more robust. Unfortunately Dutch doesn't list weights, but my 11' DIY single layer hammock made from 1.6oz Hexon (which is not the lightest fabric Dutch offers) weighs 310g. I don't know if the 270g DD lists includes the suspension, but it's definitely down due to the short and narrow size and the thin fabric.

You could also look at www.buttinasling.com, www.dream-hammock.com and simplylightdesigns.com.

• + New Posts