Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    i see your point, OP.

you're stringing pretty high, and still want the bottom edge of the tarp to do it's thing.

i had to do a similar thing this weekend. it was the soggiest of trips here in arkansas, with wind and rain on some mountain tops. i carried a 10x10 and strung it at about 6 feet. it was fine, even though i lousy pitched it in pouring rain when i first arrived.

i guess one could do the triangle-type math. if you string at ___ feet, how long should the sides be to reach ____ feet from ground level. hmmm. that's above my pay-grade.

those pics of the kelty are awesome. surely that would work, wouldn't you think?

let us know what you settle on.

cheers,

sv-

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The math is the Pythagorean theorem... Length squared + height squared = hypotenuse squared. The hypotenuse is the diagonal length... An example would be: if you want your tarp ridge 6' off the ground and you want 6' on either side of your hammock than your equation is 6^2 + 6^2 = hyp^2... Looks complicated but it's not... This problem is: 36+36= hyp^2... To get rid of the ^2 on the hypotenuse you find the square root of the other side... Square root of 72 = ~8.485. Double that and you get nearly 17' wide... Huge tarp! That's why I mentioned the pole mod... Hammock tarps are just not going to give you alot of ground area coverage so if you can get more usable space out of the area your covering that's the best bet.

Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    JacksRBetter Nests
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    it would be interesting, if you prefer porch mode, to have an offset ridgeline on a 12x12 tarp, so that one side would be 4 foot wide, and the other side 8 foot. i had considered doing that earlier in the season in order to have a porch that would accommodate company better. That design does make doors a little trickier though.
    God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools. --John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by gfranxman View Post
    it would be interesting, if you prefer porch mode, to have an offset ridgeline on a 12x12 tarp, so that one side would be 4 foot wide, and the other side 8 foot. i had considered doing that earlier in the season in order to have a porch that would accommodate company better. That design does make doors a little trickier though.

Find the thread by Red O'leary about his "Fortress" tarp. What he did there is exactly what you are talking about and it is a BEAUTIFUL tarp!!

that's the most tarp envy I have ever felt. Google search "Fortress Hammock Forums" and it will definitely come up.

Ah, heck. I should've just included it the first time.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-The-Fortress!

Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    JacksRBetter Nests
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    She's a beaute! Thats exactly what im saying.
    God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools. --John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Japhy Ryder View Post
    Find the thread by Red O'leary about his "Fortress" tarp. What he did there is exactly what you are talking about and it is a BEAUTIFUL tarp!!

that's the most tarp envy I have ever felt. Google search "Fortress Hammock Forums" and it will definitely come up.

Ah, heck. I should've just included it the first time.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-The-Fortress!
    that's one heck of a tarp!!

Hammock
    DH T-bird
    Tarp
    MWG Monsterfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin,Flight
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    hello again,
    Yes I agree, a pole mod would be something to think about. Actually I was looking at them on Dutch's web site today. And yes I was trying to sit under the tarp in a chair, not in the hammock. And no I did not have the hammock tied back. I just measured the superfly, from the top of the ridgeline to the bottom of the tarp fabric at the corner triangle loops, it measured 57.25" I will be the first to admit when out at the camp site, the tarp was not set up correctly. It was raining and I still had to get the rest of my gear to camp. But in my basement it was set up correctly. Tying the hammock back would certainly help. So would one of those little bitty camp chairs, but I have not found one that I can sit in comfortably. The belly it to big to sit in the hammock and reach down and cook. which is the reason for the chair.

I want to thank everyone for there helpful responses.

Alaskan Hanger

Images
    When just sleeping under I find the Super fly plenty big to keep me and my gear dry. When I arrive in camp cold and wet and the wind is blowing my tarp is also my kitchen tarp. I need a dry place out of the wind to change clothes and cook. The Fortress with one side longer than the other looks very nice. I can see there would be extra expense because fabric only comes so wide requiring at least 3 pieces to make the tarp wide enough.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    As for a smaller chair, if comfort is the deciding factor, the helinox with the swivel that sits more upright is hands-down the most comfortable of the small chairs for big guys like us. I have the chair one, and it is OK. But not the best for comfort.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Unless I'm missing something, the Superfly is not enough coverage?? I have been in a few heavy rains and never had a problem staying dry in my SF. You will NEVER need another tarp. It is the most versatile tarp out there for the money. I think you're worrying a little too much. With the pitch, rain cannot blow underneath. So, unless you have rain blowing completely sideways, as in hurricane conditions, you will not get wet, even pitching it a little higher. If you have those conditions, you probably should not be camping anyway. Just my .02 cents.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast