Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Atlas straps

Ridged CCF + DL hammock = condensation issues?

Hey all,
    I'm exploring hammocking for the first time ever, and just ordered a Ridgerunner.
    I'm trying to sort out my insulation situation, and I'm not willing to shell out $200-300 for an underquilt until I'm sure that hammocking is something I'm going to stick with.
    In looking through articles and posts relating to cheaper underquilt-less setups, It appears that condensation can be a major issue if you misplan your setup.

My first question to the forum is this:
    Would the ridges on a ridged CCF pad like a ridge rest solite help to mitigate condensation issues in cool weather? My ridgerunner is DL so I'd be slipping the pad between the two layers. My hope was that at least some of the condensed moisture would settle into the ridges and thus be away from my body, unlike with a flat pad or piece of reflectix.

A second query would be specific to ridgerunner owners: I also have a neoair venture inflatable pad that I could use in tandem with a CCF pad, but would 3'' worth of pads between the hammock layers be too much?

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Hello and welcome from the Bluegrass state!

I used to use a Thermarest Z-lite pad as insulation for my feet and I would always wake up with condensation trapped in the dimples of the pad... the same could happen with your ridge rest, although that's only gonna be a small percentage of your perspiration. The rest will be hidden somewhere (ie the inside layer of your DL RR or your clothing; pretty much any and every thing between your body and the pad).

When using inflatable pads, most people get the same results having them partially inflated vs fully inflated; So I would give your neoair pad a shot, first fully inflated, then partially and you could even stack it with your CCF.

Some people don't seem to get any noticeable condensation with pads, CCF or Inflatable so you'll just have to try and see.

I have a demo program with my Sheltowee Boone Hammocks which I (still) don't charge $$ for except for shipping both ways. I'd be happy to send your way for a weekend or two of testing. That would give you the option to not only try out an underquilt (my Boone's feature an integrated UQ) but also a gathered-end hammock to compare with your RR.

Good luck with your new Hammock Camping set-up!
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Some people have condensation with pads; some people don't. I get condensation and after two years of trying pads, I gave up and got an UQ - no more condensation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    I've used a Klymit Insulated Static V air mattress for a year now. Had it down to 38f twice without any condensation or cold spots. Many other nights in the 40s and 50s. That being said I just ordered a DD underquilt for $95. I consider it part of my journey in hammock camping...
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock & Warbonnet
    Tarp
    UGQ & Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing W/ Buckle
    I have only had condensation issues with a pad when I got to warm, if I regulate my body temp properly I never have issues.

• + New Posts