DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook

Latest Scouting requirements to allow hammocks

I have been doing some work for our unit on the new BSA rank requirements. The Tenderfoot rank still says to spend the night in a tent you helped pitch BUT, the others are changed.
    Second Class
    1a. Since joining, participate in five separate troop/patrol activities, three of which
    include overnight camping. These five activities do not include troop or patrol
    meetings. On at least two of the three campouts, spend the night in a tent that
    you pitch or other structure that you help erect (such as a lean-to, snow cave,
    or tepee). I would add Hammock W/Tarp or stand.

First Class
    1a. Since joining, participate in 10 separate troop/patrol activities, six of which
    include overnight camping. These 10 activities do not include troop or patrol
    meetings. On at least five of the six campouts, spend the night in a tent that
    you pitch or other structure that you help erect (such as a lean-to, snow cave,
    or tepee) Again, I would add Hammock W/Tarp or Stand.

If a scout erects a TurtleDog or other stand and added a tarp, I would count it. We had our first real cold weather camp of the year last weekend. I was the only one in a hammock this time but I think that is going to change with the interest from the boys and some encouragement. We have many that like the hammock in the warmer weather.

I didn't have frost on my tarp but the tents had a thick layer of snow (frost) on the inside of their walls. Tarps and hammocks can be a better lesson for the boys on how weather effects camping, planning, and avoiding wet gear.

Any other leaders going to take advantage of the new language?
    Last edited by rais'n hammock; 11-23-2015 at 22:51. Reason: Typo
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Quote Originally Posted by sashasrd View Post

I didn't have frost on my tarp nut
    For the record, I have never, ever, ever had frost on my tarp nut.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I interpret the other structure they have erected the same way. I'd definitely count a hammock. It's more difficult to get a hammock set up properly than a tent anyway, it at least the seems to be a larger learning curve. I think the important part is they are camping and helping with setup, not sleeping in a cabin or hotel.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Make them tie knots to put up the tarp & I say you are coming out ahead.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    All I have read here sounds good......contact BSA Headquarters , or better yet have Scout contact them about adding hammocks

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    No need to add hammocks to the wording in thecrequirements. It is already worded to allow other structures. The list is to provide some examples, but is not exhaustive. As long as the scout helped erect the structure, it counts.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    We've always strongly encouraged tent camping for the 2nd and 1st Class requirements as a means to build and strengthen the patrols in the Troop. Everyone has to pair up in a tent and Patrols need to camp together in tents until they've been in the Troop long enough to understand the way Patrols work.

Scouts have always been free to use hammocks if they'd like, but those nights didn't count for the requirements. Looks like that will be changing when the new requirements are in place.

Our Troop provides the opportunity for nearly 40 camping nights each year, so there are plenty of opportunities for the boys to sleep in tents, hammocks, quinzees, debris shelters, or just under the stars.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

According to merriam webster: A tent is "a portable shelter that is used outdoors, is made of cloth (such as canvas or nylon), and is held up with poles and ropes"

I think sleeping in a hammock covered by a tarp has always counted. They don't need to change the wording because tarps are a type of tent the way we use them in hammock camping.

And in case anyone is wondering the definition of pole includes:
    "a long slender usually cylindrical object" and
    "a tree with a breast-high diameter of from 4 to 12 inches (10 to 30 centimeters)"

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    I interpret the other structure they have erected the same way. I'd definitely count a hammock. It's more difficult to get a hammock set up properly than a tent anyway, it at least the seems to be a larger learning curve. I think the important part is they are camping and helping with setup, not sleeping in a cabin or hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman_atl View Post
    Make them tie knots to put up the tarp & I say you are coming out ahead.
    I totally agree. Hammocks offer a lot more learning opportunities for the boys than they can get from a taught line hitch on a tent tieout. Not to mention the DYI skills they can gain and be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by ktitan View Post
    According to merriam webster: A tent is "a portable shelter that is used outdoors, is made of cloth (such as canvas or nylon), and is held up with poles and ropes"

I think sleeping in a hammock covered by a tarp has always counted. They don't need to change the wording because tarps are a type of tent the way we use them in hammock camping.

"a tree with a breast-high diameter of from 4 to 12 inches (10 to 30 centimeters)"
    I get the definition comment. My post was more for those who have previously said that scouts should camp in a tent because that is exactly what was said in the requirement. (At least through First Class)
    I am like you and define a tent like Mr. Webster. A tarp between to trees sounds like a tent. We have boys who will stack hammocks 2 or 3 high to fit under one "tent". They all help and they feel part of a patrol.
    The new wording just makes it easier for those who do not have this definition.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Quote Originally Posted by ktitan View Post

When I was a scout we used Army surplus pup tents that were set up with ropes and poles. If you set up the tarp in this configuration with a hammock under it, I think you have even fulfilled the tenderfoot requirement. I would pass it.

As for camping with your patrol, If you put up a hammock within 15 feet of the other patrol tents, are you not camping with the patrol. There is no requirement, but there are unofficial troop traditions, that say you must have another patrol member in your tent. Do you really miss out on the life of the patrol if you have a hammock set up under your "tent". Does the same thing apply if you have an air mattress set up under your tent, or a cot, or a nest of leaves? I do not think so. Just pitch your tarp "tent" near the other patrol members in the patrol camp site.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast