Hammock
    Half wit, 1.1 Poly D
    Tarp
    Cuben, Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ Lots of TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hook,buckles
    Hey guys, just found this hang. I was planning on attending the Mount Rogers hang but found this one and hiking in appeals more to me than car camping. So I've never been to this hang before, is it just Friday and Saturday night? Do you guys hike in together or separately? Also which parking lot do you use, I see one West of the shelter on 1348 near Toll House Gap and a parking area east of the shelter near Carvers Gap. I think I'll probably attend this one more as I love a challenge and being from Michigan I love a good winter outing.

Am I crazy to drive down to this from West Michigan? Sounds like fun! Thanks for any info you can give =)

Hammock
    Half wit, 1.1 Poly D
    Tarp
    Cuben, Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ Lots of TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hook,buckles
    Also, is this hang both nights at Roan Mountain shelter or is there a hike on Sat to a new location? Sorry I'm a newb to this hang. I think that I saw in 2014 the second night was spent at Overmountain Shelter. Is that the plan this year as well?
    Last edited by Poppins; 12-20-2015 at 00:01.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    9 times out of 10 it is a one nighter due to extreme weather that has historically prevented a hike on to Overmountain. That said
    one one RHK Higher Colder we did make the hike to Overmountain...and even then the weather was intense (ask Roche, Ber, or Bro'Bones).
    Most always parking at Carver's Gap because the DOT tries to keep that whole road clear, though getting snowed in for a day is possible--and
    for that reason when I leave the vehicle I know inside the vehicle is extra water/food/clothes/etc. for a prolonged stay. This has never been
    an issue or even needed, just a possibility at this altitude.
    Everyone hikes in at different times. I think Bro'Bones RAN to the shelter in his shorts and running shirt last time I saw him there!
    Socialization is often only in the shelter---winds are normally too high to talk over outside, and one year an errant Boy Scout troop
    had the shelter packed to the gills.
    The Higher Colder is a place to test your hammock rig with the benefit of a shelter to run to, but you can't always plan on it, though the Boy Scout
    incident was surely a 1:1,000,000
    It's also a place to pay attention and all of us HF'ers will be covering each other's back (ask 'Ber)....we won't leave anybody behind.
    Glad you like the hike-in versus car camping but car camping has its place too.....good to have options eh.
    West Michigan? Are you kidding? and I thought Hangnout was crazy to drive from west TN (6 hours) but he does have family in the area.
    If you had planned on Mt.Rogers, Roan is probably only another 2 hours away depending on how you're coming down. Personally I think you are crazy,
    but you are welcome! and I've done some long drives to get with HFers at distant hangs...just a rough time of year for long drives.
    Hey, if you fly into TRI we'll pick you up
    As far as challenges, again coming from Michigan, I see no challenge for you temperature wise (assuming you hang out in the winter there)....a challenge for
    you might be better found in Shug's back yard!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    The NC side of the road up to Carver's Gap is usually plowed and possibly salted. The TN side is often not. Might want to plan accordingly for the drive up/down unless you're prepared for ice covered roads. A few years back I remember roads on the TN side with about 3 inches thick of ice covering the entire road the last 3 miles to Carver's Gap.

Lastly, while the hike over to the Yellow Mountain will be extremely cold, the views will be absolutely worth it.

Hammock
    Half wit, 1.1 Poly D
    Tarp
    Cuben, Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ Lots of TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hook,buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    9 times out of 10 it is a one nighter due to extreme weather that has historically prevented a hike on to Overmountain. That said
    one one RHK Higher Colder we did make the hike to Overmountain...and even then the weather was intense (ask Roche, Ber, or Bro'Bones).
    Most always parking at Carver's Gap because the DOT tries to keep that whole road clear, though getting snowed in for a day is possible--and
    for that reason when I leave the vehicle I know inside the vehicle is extra water/food/clothes/etc. for a prolonged stay. This has never been
    an issue or even needed, just a possibility at this altitude.
    Everyone hikes in at different times. I think Bro'Bones RAN to the shelter in his shorts and running shirt last time I saw him there!
    Socialization is often only in the shelter---winds are normally too high to talk over outside, and one year an errant Boy Scout troop
    had the shelter packed to the gills.
    The Higher Colder is a place to test your hammock rig with the benefit of a shelter to run to, but you can't always plan on it, though the Boy Scout
    incident was surely a 1:1,000,000
    It's also a place to pay attention and all of us HF'ers will be covering each other's back (ask 'Ber)....we won't leave anybody behind.
    Glad you like the hike-in versus car camping but car camping has its place too.....good to have options eh.
    West Michigan? Are you kidding? and I thought Hangnout was crazy to drive from west TN (6 hours) but he does have family in the area.
    If you had planned on Mt.Rogers, Roan is probably only another 2 hours away depending on how you're coming down. Personally I think you are crazy,
    but you are welcome! and I've done some long drives to get with HFers at distant hangs...just a rough time of year for long drives.
    Hey, if you fly into TRI we'll pick you up
    As far as challenges, again coming from Michigan, I see no challenge for you temperature wise (assuming you hang out in the winter there)....a challenge for
    you might be better found in Shug's back yard!
    I'm going to the frozen button hang in MN as well. Both 11 hour drives. =)

Hammock
    Half wit, 1.1 Poly D
    Tarp
    Cuben, Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ Lots of TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hook,buckles
    Also if this is one night then is that Friday night or Saturday night? I could head over to the mount Rogers hang sat night if Roan is only Friday night.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Due to wanting to repeat (Improve) this years section hike on the AT & having limited funds for hiking, Ill be at neither winter hang.
    BUT a suggestion for those planning on attending this hike who have never been winter camping: Do the Grayson Highlands hang first! Having only been to the RHK shelter one time, In late spring, I can attest that it is cold & windy. Not, IMHO a place to figure out your winter gear. And, being a mile or more from the cars & help, if you get in trouble, you have to walk out. My first episode with SERIOUS Hypothermia had my legs cramping pretty bad, fortunately not until I was safe & warming up. I can't see walking our with those cramps.
    As mentioned above, hydration is important, as important as in summer heat!!!! I may have cramped due to dehydration.
    The above is indeed just my opinion, but I think this hike n hang is a bit more,,,,,,,,,,,,, "dangerous" if you will, & even experienced winter hikers can get in trouble. My 2012 hike pre Mt Rogers was my 30th deep winter trip, and my worse case of Hypothermia (of 4 times).
    I wish I could go, & wish all at both winter hangs a GREAT TIME!!!!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Wise words from a veteran.

Hammock
    Half wit, 1.1 Poly D
    Tarp
    Cuben, Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ Lots of TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hook,buckles
    Curious, is there any snow on Roan Mountain yet? We have no snow in western lower Michigan and probably wont for at least the next two weeks. =(

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Just wondering, if I pull up a temp forecast for Roan Mountain, TN or for Elk Park, NC - what would be the likely temps at the campsite compared to the town forecast? Any other town you use?

I want to go, will have to see. If I go, I'd love to do that hike to Overmountain.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast