Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I know that the new guidelines (ie what's allowed to be sold) are a bone of contention for many of us and there was talk of revisiting them after things are implemented. Can we get a firm date as to when the "new and improved" guidelines will be revisited and the mod's & HF members can discuss these? I think 90 days would be plenty of time to take a look at things again. Just my opinion...
    I like this suggestion and time frame I will bring it up in the mods forum and report back unless Rick posts before hand.
    thanks

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ mostly
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    A. To join the "Sellers Usergroup" group you need to click on SETTINGS in the top left of the screen.

If no one mentioned it. "Settings" is on the top right of the screen. You might want to fix that.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Ok, so I'd like to put this out there for public opinion.

Based on this thread, and a couple questions attroll was kind enough to answer for me, it sounds like the primary reason for the 3item/1post limit is to prevent large, un-managed threads from cluttering the forum (constantly being bumped with "is this still available" type posts, etc.).

Part of the problem was probably how difficult it was to manage a thread after 3 days (because you could not longer edit the top post). This should be addressed by giving greater access to edit threads, which hopefully will lead to better user management of thread. This has been asked for many time in the past, and I'm glad to see it finally being implemented.

However, the 3 item limit is intended to keep threads small, so they close quickly, thus leading to less clutter, and less follow up by the mods (for instance, when a large thread only has a few items left that may not be moving, and the mods have to follow up to see if they can close the thread).

My proposal
    I like the post limit. I think that should definitely stay.

Instead of the item limit, why not add a time limit. My thinking is after 1 or 2 week a for sale thread expires. Unfortunately this can't be done automatically by the forum software, but it would make the forum much easier to moderate. Instead of having to follow up with each member individually, a mod just has to run a search for threads from "two weeks ago" "and older" and close/move those threads.

Most threads probably conclude with-in 1-2 weeks anyway, so the impact to users wouldn't be very significant. And it would create a much easier job for the mods. If you still need to sell items, you just create a new thread after that time limit, consolidating to your unsold items.

What does everyone think?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Panjo.

Yes, it charges a fee. But it sure is slick.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I have been clear on how I feel the new rule is on what you can and cannot sell. 1 week is enough test time. Even better just toss the stupid thing now and let the membership sell what they always have been selling.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    ...1 week is enough test time. ..
    One week amounts to no test time at all. The real test comes some number of months down the road when we see how well sellers, that are not "invested" in this thread, do with following the rules and maintaining their FS threads.

I love Boston's idea above.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Ok, so I'd like to put this out there for public opinion.

Based on this thread, and a couple questions attroll was kind enough to answer for me, it sounds like the primary reason for the 3item/1post limit is to prevent large, un-managed threads from cluttering the forum (constantly being bumped with "is this still available" type posts, etc.).

Part of the problem was probably how difficult it was to manage a thread after 3 days (because you could not longer edit the top post). This should be addressed by giving greater access to edit threads, which hopefully will lead to better user management of thread. This has been asked for many time in the past, and I'm glad to see it finally being implemented.

However, the 3 item limit is intended to keep threads small, so they close quickly, thus leading to less clutter, and less follow up by the mods (for instance, when a large thread only has a few items left that may not be moving, and the mods have to follow up to see if they can close the thread).

My proposal
    I like the post limit. I think that should definitely stay.

Instead of the item limit, why not add a time limit. My thinking is after 1 or 2 week a for sale thread expires. Unfortunately this can't be done automatically by the forum software, but it would make the forum much easier to moderate. Instead of having to follow up with each member individually, a mod just has to run a search for threads from "two weeks ago" "and older" and close/move those threads.

Most threads probably conclude with-in 1-2 weeks anyway, so the impact to users wouldn't be very significant. And it would create a much easier job for the mods. If you still need to sell items, you just create a new thread after that time limit, consolidating to your unsold items.

What does everyone think?
    To your point, I have seen single item threads sit out on the FS subforum for many weeks, even months so the number of items isn't really an issue. On the other end of the spectrum I've seen multi-item threads that were well managed by the OP that finish in a matter of days. The items being offered were popular or attractively unique items and they went fast. The key being the responsiveness and diligence of the OP on that FS thread. That being said, I agree that a time limit would be useful but I'm not sure how that helps the moderators. Unless there can be an automatic counter on the threads that kills them automatically after X number of days on the forum, they would still have to monitor for the ones going past a time limit and remove those threads.

I am most likely wrong in this assessment but I've seen post from mods in the past that confuse me as to the actual capabilities of the forum system software being used.

Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    I have been clear on how I feel the new rule is on what you can and cannot sell. 1 week is enough test time. Even better just toss the stupid thing now and let the membership sell what they always have been selling.
    One week is too short of a test period to my thinking. I suggested 90 some time back in the thread but even I don't like that long of one either. 30 - 45 days would be an appropriate time line given the time of year we are in and the types of items that usually go up for sale, albeit a highly reduced format of offerings available.

A little late to the party, and I have only had time to read about half of the thread ... but just throwing in my thoughts, in case they decide to listen to what the community wants.

To me the only thing that NEEDED to change was giving the OPs the ability to edit the threads. This benefits both the hard working mods as well as the users.

Limiting the number of items per thread also seems like a good move. But limiting total threads and therefore total items seems heavy handed. I would prefer 1item per thread with unlimited threads. (within reason, maybe 20)
    Also I think any hiking/camping/backpacking gear should be allowed. To me this was not an out of control thing. I'd much rather buy an non hammocking but still outdoor related piece of gear from this community than any other.
    Is this an attempt to drive us over to their other property, whiteblaze, for these types of sales?
    No battery powered items seems about as arbitrary as it gets.
    Really, no headlamps or GPS, was this one even thought through.
    Not complaining, HF is awesome, just hoping the mods are listening.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I feel compelled to say this again: Clearly what NEEDED to change was the load on the mods. Several changes were made all of which will reduce that load. Hopefully, everyone follows the letter and spirit of the new rules, the mods see relief, and more broadly related items will be again permitted.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast