Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arctic Camping

Arctic Camping

My husband and I are new to camping. We live in remote Alaska. Would like to have some suggestions for arctic camping hammock gear for -40 F.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by susunaga1847 View Post
    My husband and I are new to camping. We live in remote Alaska. Would like to have some suggestions for arctic camping hammock gear for -40 F.
    You have a WBBB with winter top cover but nothing else yet, right? So, you are probably interested on which brand/style of underquilt and top quilts would handle that severe temperature extreme? Probably Shug could give you some great advice. Since you are really new to hammocking, you probably need links to various sites that can tailor make warm enough UQ and TQ for you...

Unfortunately, I can't help out. I don't have any experience there to draw from yet.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Contact Shug. He has done it and will have some insights for you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    At those temps you might want to go with what's called a peapod system. Wiggies sleeping bag with centre zipper that fits over your whole hammock. You'll need a tarp that has doors and set it so the walls of the tarp are as close to the ground as possible and then fill in the gap with short snow walls so you eliminate as much wind as possible,,,BUT At those temps i would almost suggest a hot tent and cots,,,, because there's two of you . If your not familiar visit wintertrekking.com . Good luck
    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    You have a WBBB with winter top cover but nothing else yet, right? So, you are probably interested on which brand/style of underquilt and top quilts would handle that severe temperature extreme? Probably Shug could give you some great advice. Since you are really new to hammocking, you probably need links to various sites that can tailor make warm enough UQ and TQ for you...

Unfortunately, I can't help out. I don't have any experience there to draw from yet.
    Thank you for replying!

Actually, I don't even have the hammock yet! But I have a double layer WBBB XLC on ORDER. It's a Christmas present for my husband and I was wondering what kind of under quilt would give him adequate insulation. He camps out frequently at 40 below zero when he's on hunting trips here.

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    At those temps you might want to go with what's called a peapod system. Wiggies sleeping bag with centre zipper that fits over your whole hammock. You'll need a tarp that has doors and set it so the walls of the tarp are as close to the ground as possible and then fill in the gap with short snow walls so you eliminate as much wind as possible,,,BUT At those temps i would almost suggest a hot tent and cots,,,, because there's two of you . If your not familiar visit wintertrekking.com . Good luck
    bill
    Thank you Bill! Actually he has the warmest sleeping bag Wiggy's makes and it keeps him toasty warm in the winter. I didn't know they made them for hammocks?? He always stays in a tent with a fire going. I'm not much on camping...I'd rather stay inside and make cookies I think he was wanting to try a hammock just for something new, new experience. Thank you for the great ideas!!

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    bill
    Thank you Bill! Actually he has the warmest sleeping bag Wiggy's makes and it keeps him toasty warm in the winter. I didn't know they made them for hammocks?? He always stays in a tent with a fire going. I'm not much on camping...I'd rather stay inside and make cookies I think he was wanting to try a hammock just for something new, new experience. Thank you for the great ideas!! Also...the wind here can be FIERCE! I like the idea about the snow.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by susunaga1847 View Post
    Thank you Bill! Actually he has the warmest sleeping bag Wiggy's makes and it keeps him toasty warm in the winter. I didn't know they made them for hammocks?? He always stays in a tent with a fire going. I'm not much on camping...I'd rather stay inside and make cookies I think he was wanting to try a hammock just for something new, new experience. Thank you for the great ideas!! Also...the wind here can be FIERCE! I like the idea about the snow.
    Wiggies sleeping bag isn't made for hammocks but it works. If its just your husband your thinking about then i would go with a canvas shelter over top of the hammock with a small stove. O don't have a pic handy but if you look here you'll see what TZ has in mind.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Heavy-Hot-tent
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Here is a link to one of Shug's videos about the 2013 Minnesota Frozen Butt Hang. In it, he explains his setup for hanging in below-zero temps. Somewhere he has another video when they hung in -40 degree weather but I am unable to locate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEzq2iidxNs
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Here is the link to Shug's video about his minus-40 degree hang near Ely, MN.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...B610B52D593B3A

Shug spends a little time discussing his -40 gear at the 16:40 mark in the video.
    Last edited by obxh2o; 11-21-2015 at 23:28.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast