Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    One other thing re 30 degree angle:

Less angle than that puts quite a bit of additional stress on the hammock and suspension. 30 degrees should put you in the ballpark of a hammock with an 83% SRL not being too tight or too loose, giving you something close to optimal comfort. Remember it's only a starting point and possibly tweak from there.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC - Dutchware
    Tarp
    HG - Std Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and Buckle
    Can you post a pic? I have been interested in the wide material but have wanted to a few pics of them in action before I pull the trigger.

Hammock
    DIY XL hyperD 11'
    Tarp
    diy gen2 silpoly
    Insulation
    diy UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    I just made up a 11ft hammock out of the 72in wide hyperD from rsbtr and I absolutely love it. I also have a 12ft regular width hammock and I don't know what one I like better. the extra width definitely makes a difference for me at least (im 6'3'' 290lb) and gives me the almost perfectly flat lay I need and I don't have any issues with floppy material. id say everyone should at least lay in a 72in wide hammock at least once just to see for yourself. ill be posting a new thread in the DIY section when I get back from the Arkansas hammock forum hang this weekend to show off all the new stuff ive made recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Time to Hang View Post
    I would love it if Dutch comes out with the 2.4 Hexon material in a 72" width ! Dutch made me a 12' long, 72" wide DL hammock. It is without a doubt the most comfortable hammock I own. I won't go narrower than 72" now.

72" 2.4 Hexon vote here! I hope Dutch see this !!!
    J.
    How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by AyeJay View Post
    How tall are you?
    I'm a towering 5'8" ! I also have two 12' SLD DL now too. One is 72" the other is around 64"-65". Both are the Tree Runner Double layer with nothing more. I have the fronkey style bug nets and socks for added warmth in cooler weather. It may be the length more than the width but both are a very comfortable lay, never a calf ridge. Sleep indoors every night on my dutch DL and the 72" SLD is my camping deal and the smaller one a back up!
    Can't have too many hammocks you know!

Enjoy
    Clarke Vertex with Z liners, Hammeck Envy S with Incubator 20*
    Custom Dutch Hammock 12' x 6' Double Hyper D ! My current daily sleep system !
    Custom SLD Tree Runner Double Hexon 12' x 6' Loco Libre 20* set
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

I'm a towering 5'8" ! I also have two 12' SLD DL now too. One is 72" the other is around 64"-65". Both are the Tree Runner Double layer with nothing more. I have the fronkey style bug nets and socks for added warmth in cooler weather. It may be the length more than the width but both are a very comfortable lay, never a calf ridge. Sleep indoors every night on my dutch DL and the 72" SLD is my camping deal and the smaller one a back up!
    Can't have too many hammocks you know!

Enjoy
    Right! Well guess what, I've just ordered my first hammock to be delivered here to Australia, which also is an SLD. It is 12' long, 65" wide standard ripstop. Tree Runner SL.

I'm 5'10, 80kg. Because lightweight was a concern for me as a hiker, I went with the lowest fabric rating I though would handle my weight without losing support, so I asked for 1.6oz in a wider fabric. He was only able to order the standard ripstop in 1.6oz, no Hexon in a wide 1.6oz.

What I'm wondering, is why you are wanting the heavy 2.4 oz rating for camping hammock. Is it the heavier the fabric, the more comfortable lay or support you get? I see you order double-layer stuff, so I guess same theory? Or perhaps you are bulkier than average in which case I understand and don't mean any offense

Right! Well guess what, I've just ordered my first hammock to be delivered here to Australia, which also is an SLD. It is 12' long, 65" wide standard ripstop. Tree Runner SL.

I'm 5'10, 80kg. Because lightweight was a concern for me as a hiker, I went with the lowest fabric rating I though would handle my weight without losing support, so I asked for 1.6oz in a wider fabric. He was only able to order the standard ripstop in 1.6oz, no Hexon in a wide 1.6oz.

What I'm wondering, is why you are wanting the heavy 2.4 oz rating for camping hammock. Is it the heavier the fabric, the more comfortable lay or support you get? I see you order double-layer stuff, so I guess same theory? Or perhaps you are bulkier than average in which case I understand and don't mean any offense
    The heavier fabric gives more support for me, I've done a lot of weight lifting in the past and I'm very wide shouldered and stocky, I guess bulky works too, although I am a regular runner too! LOL I also don't worry about weight since I don't plan on any long distance hikes etc, I'd rather have durability and flexibility to add a pad if needed. You will like the SLD, top quality work!
    Clarke Vertex with Z liners, Hammeck Envy S with Incubator 20*
    Custom Dutch Hammock 12' x 6' Double Hyper D ! My current daily sleep system !
    Custom SLD Tree Runner Double Hexon 12' x 6' Loco Libre 20* set
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

The heavier fabric gives more support for me, I've done a lot of weight lifting in the past and I'm very wide shouldered and stocky, I guess bulky works too, although I am a regular runner too! LOL I also don't worry about weight since I don't plan on any long distance hikes etc, I'd rather have durability and flexibility to add a pad if needed. You will like the SLD, top quality work!
    I see, so the heavier the fabric, the more support it gives you and the better lay you will get, even if you're not approaching the official weight limit for losing support with that fabric rating. The lighter the fabric, the more we sink down into the shape of a banana in the hammock, which makes us less flat.

So if weight is not a concern and say you're just using a hammock as your sleeping bed at home, you'd want to get the heaviest fabric possible for the best support which translates to flatter lay position as you're not sinking as much into a banana?

This would mean, that say for 1.6 oz ripstop like to got, if a 100 pound person with the same height as me laid in it, they would be laying flatter than I would as a 180 pound person, even though the official "losing support" limit for 1.6 oz ripstop is 200 pounds. All correct?

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I see, so the heavier the fabric, the more support it gives you and the better lay you will get, even if you're not approaching the official weight limit for losing support with that fabric rating? The lighter the fabric, the more we sink down into the shape of a banana in the hammock, which makes us less flat.

So if weight is not a concern and say you're just using a hammock as your sleeping bed at home, you'd want to get the heaviest fabric possible for the best support which translates to flatter lay position as you're not sinking as much into a banana? All correct?
    Not necessarily. Some people like some stretch, some people like more stiff fabric. Just like some people prefer a more firm mattress, etc. Also, there are some very lightweight fabrics that don't stretch much at all. There is a lot that goes into it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamaulwall; 09-09-2017 at 22:07.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    12' UGQ WD marpat
    Insulation
    3S Yeti & 0+2 HG I
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    Not necessarily. Some people like some stretch, some people like more stuff fabric. Just like some people prefer a more firm mattress, etc. Also, there are some very lightweight fabrics that don't stretch much at all. There is a lot that goes into it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Very true. I am around #275 and sleep great in my 1.6 hexon Chameleon. On the other hand, my 2.4 hexon half wit seems too firm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast