Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie

The right direction?

Hey, I just posted an intro in the welcome section but figured we would get down to the meat and potatoes here. I'm trying to make the transition from car camping to backpacking with my son. I'm 38 and out of shape, he's 13 and plays football...I think this will be a bigger change for me than him. Haha. While researching the gear needed to make the switch I've become very interested in hammocks. My son already has a small hiking tent but I don't plan on lugging around the 8 person cabin we usually stay in! If the hammock works out half as well as I'm thinking I'm sure there will be a second one for him very shortly. These are my needs...

-Semi budget friendly but not overly cheap. I want to learn what I like and want before jumping into hundreds of dollars for a hammock.
    -I am 5'10" and weigh in the 250-260 range so sturdiness is a priority.

I plan on using my sleeping pad and sleeping bag for the first bit to help spread the cost out over time.
    I'm looking at the Dutch 11' hammock to start off with. I've read lots of positives about them and seems like the extra length is a good thing...not to mention with all the added upgrades and rigging it comes in at just under $100.

I have lots more questions, but let's start here with the basic hammock before I get too far ahead of myself. Am I leaning the right direction for a great starter hammock or do I need to look somewhere else?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I think the Dutch hammocks are excellent especially for starters. And they are super comfortable for me. If you can attend a group hang near you, you might be able to try some other hammocks. But the Dutch 11' is a good choice. Weight wise you could go.with the Hexon 2.4 if you really want to be safe, but 1.6 should do it...

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I would love to attend a group hang at some point. I guess I should also mention that I have no friends that hike or hammock so I don't have anyone local that I know to pick their brains so I'll be relying heavily on all of your guidance.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Are you a side sleeper? Will you be needing bug protection? You'll also need a tarp if you don't already have one.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm a back/side/belly sleeper in my bed, not sure if I'll be a back or side sleeper in the hammock but plan on trying to be a back sleeper.

I'll be doing most of my camping in the south so I will definitely be needing a bug net...I'm tore on doing the bug net or the summer pod from ditches site. That was something I planned on touching on when I decided on a hammock...looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on the Dutch hammock though.

A tarp will be needed also, to start with, I plan on going with a cheapish basic tarp with a continuous ridge line for easy adjustment. Am I correct in thinking a 10' tarp is sufficient for an 11' hammock due to the sag? I'm thinking a 6x10 or 8x10 tarp for now until I can upgrade.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Kind of an off the wall question but it seems that the whole hammock, tarp, uq, tq, bug net, and other misc stuff really add to the bulk of what will be carried. What size backpack will be sufficient to carry everything without being too cramped or overly large? I'm thinking in the 60-65 liter size...does that sound right?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    A tarp with a 10' ridgeline would cover an 11' hammock but you'd only have around 6" of coverage extending past each end of the hammock. You would need to set up the tarp fairly close to your hammock for adequate protection. It can be done but just be aware and be judicious in your set up configuration.

A 60-65 L pack is plenty big for a multiple day trip. Some actually go even smaller but starting out with 60-65 is good imo. I'm not an ultra light backpacker and use a 65 L Gregory pack for 3-4 nights.
    Last edited by Bubba; 11-21-2015 at 04:37.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    So it wouldn't be overkill to go with an 11'or 12' tarp then, good to know. The 6-8' width is a good number though, right?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Yeah 11 or 12 is not overkill for an 11' hammock. I'd go no less than 8' for adequate side protection.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    +1 for the Dutch.
    I'm 5'9" and sleep on my back and side in it no problem. One thing to mention is that I did get a little lumbar pain during my first couple nights, but it went away and now I sleep great.
    I use a 60 L pack without a problem, and I'm practically in winter mode up in NY now. The Dutch packs up VERY small. I enjoy a bigger tarp too, because it's really nice to be able to set it up "porch style."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast