HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwygralak67 View Post
    How many grams does that weigh?
    Yeah it is quite a departure from my "normal thinking" for sure.

22679.6 grams.........50 lbs, but that includes the bag
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Nice TZ. So i imagine that your probably going to switch the stove pipe exit to the side of the tent??, which is, as you know, where most folks hot tenting arrange theirs. That will then facilitate your hammock without worries,,,but i think you know this anyway. My only issue with hot tenting is is sometimes feels too hot. I'm sure your going to love this.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Nice TZ. So i imagine that your probably going to switch the stove pipe exit to the side of the tent??, which is, as you know, where most folks hot tenting arrange theirs. That will then facilitate your hammock without worries,,,but i think you know this anyway. My only issue with hot tenting is is sometimes feels too hot. I'm sure your going to love this.
    Not sure if I should go straight up through the top, longer pipe inside, more heat exchange, but more leak possibility, or through the sidewall, the stove pipe sure can't stay in the door. It is usually shirt sleeve inside in other hot tents I have been in.

We now have about a foot of snow here so I may try to set up one side at least, inside and work on a solution
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Reminds me of my old Boy Scout days! I learned how a little box full of burning wood made a lot of heat! No ideas but thanks for the look and the memories.

Maybe one idea, it comes down to management. You will have a hard time keeping a fire overnight but setting up for a new fire is relatively easy. Let the fire die before you hit the hammock then do like Shug does with breakfast. Get up and take care of business then pile back in until the warm gets going. Then hook the hammock body over to the side and enjoy the warm.

FWIW my impression is that the late 19th/early 20th century folks used a large chunk of charcoal (breadloaf) and a pinhole draft to keep a fire all night. Not sure how much heat that meant. No other way I know of that ran a small stove all night so not all that much of a safety issue.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    Not sure if I should go straight up through the top, longer pipe inside, more heat exchange, but more leak possibility, or through the sidewall, the stove pipe sure can't stay in the door. It is usually shirt sleeve inside in other hot tents I have been in.

We now have about a foot of snow here so I may try to set up one side at least, inside and work on a solution
    I had another look at the video. I think if were me i would do one of two things , i would either put the stove pipe out through the top of the side wall or go out just about the side wall. If you've got the Conover's book have a look at their set up. Its a pretty good idea to have the pipe be on an angle pointing away from the tent so any sparks and embers don't fall on the roof. Its also good to have it that way in case you decide to have a plastic tarp set up over the roof. Anyway i'm happy for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Reminds me of my old Boy Scout days! I learned how a little box full of burning wood made a lot of heat! No ideas but thanks for the look and the memories.

Maybe one idea, it comes down to management. You will have a hard time keeping a fire overnight but setting up for a new fire is relatively easy. Let the fire die before you hit the hammock then do like Shug does with breakfast. Get up and take care of business then pile back in until the warm gets going. Then hook the hammock body over to the side and enjoy the warm.

FWIW my impression is that the late 19th/early 20th century folks used a large chunk of charcoal (breadloaf) and a pinhole draft to keep a fire all night. Not sure how much heat that meant. No other way I know of that ran a small stove all night so not all that much of a safety issue.
    Unless a person uses an airtight stove its never a good idea to run a stove all night. Most of the stoves used in hot tenting are not airtight and most folks hot tenting don't run the stoves all night but as you said let the stove die out before bed and start it up again in the morning. I was very surprised the first time i used mine how fast the tent heats up, 20 minutes and it was in the seventies.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    TZ, whats the hot tent weigh this morning after that sloppy wet snow?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    I had another look at the video. I think if were me i would do one of two things , i would either put the stove pipe out through the top of the side wall or go out just about the side wall. If you've got the Conover's book have a look at their set up. Its a pretty good idea to have the pipe be on an angle pointing away from the tent so any sparks and embers don't fall on the roof. Its also good to have it that way in case you decide to have a plastic tarp set up over the roof.

Unless a person uses an airtight stove its never a good idea to run a stove all night. Most of the stoves used in hot tenting are not airtight and most folks hot tenting don't run the stoves all night but as you said let the stove die out before bed and start it up again in the morning. I was very surprised the first time i used mine how fast the tent heats up, 20 minutes and it was in the seventies.
    I also think through the sidewall. Angled elbo at stove then damper section then out the wall, hang the pipe on an X outside.
    That allows for the over tarp if necessary. I would not consider running the stove through the night, just to easy to rebuild the fire the next morning

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    TZ, whats the hot tent weigh this morning after that sloppy wet snow?
    I would guess add at least 15 lbs, but after a good fire inside it would lose some weight. Still a long ways from the 14 oz CF winter tarp
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Pretty nice, Tom! Put it on a pulk and you're ready to go. Better still, get a dog to pull the pulk. If you bring it to Mt. Rogers in January, Freia and I will help you pull it (and come inside to get warm). Might not be cold enough for canvas (and pulks) the way things have been going the past few years, though.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Many winter hangs in January to consider. Might head to MN, but Mt. Rogers is also on the list
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Very nice. I was an Arctic Paratrooper, Infantry, for too many years to count, and we used the Army, Arctic, 10-man tents. They were heavy duck canvas with a liner and stove jack and we used an M-1950 "Yukon" stove in them. They were quite awesome and I have used them even during the blizzard during Brimfrost '87.
    As for the stove use? Our standard was, the stove was not in use without a "fireguard" posted, period, dot, end of sentence. A canvas tent can burn in under 13 seconds, YES, it can, I have been in a tent which burned after the fireguard went to sleep on duty. You bail out under the flaps, No questions and you do no more than grab your ruck (basic survival gear) and bail. In my case, in my skivvies! Fortunately, we were, "in the defense" and battalion HQ was able to send SUSV's immediately.
    My apologies, didn't mean to "war story" there, my point is, the stove is frigging great but treat it with respect and NEVER take chances with it. I also recommend that you keep a fire extinguisher in the tent. I have seen several instances which might have become tent fires saved by the fire extinguisher we were required to have. It may not be "period" but it is cheaper than replacing that nice tent or your life.
    Just my two cents worth of experience in canvas tents. I hope you enjoy that bad boy. I should make winter camping really sweet.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast