DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis

Underquilt runs away!

As a Bridge user, I'm used to fiddle-free UQ use.

Since I've been trying a DH Darien, which I mostly like, my UQ migrates to my left a time or two each night (I lay head left/feet right). This is bad! It rises up on the left and leaves my right foot and hip unprotected & cool.

How do I fix this?

NOTE: I use a JRB rectangular UQ w/ their suspension larksheaded to the whoopie, just above the end of the hammock and threaded thru triangle thingies. To maximize its coverage where I need it (left shoulder, right foot) I use Shug's method of leaving one length of bungee shorter at the head and foot on the side that I want higher coverage.

So what say ye? Thank you.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My Yeti had some of the same problems. At the left shoulder and right foot ends of the UQ I tied a piece of 1/16" shock cord about 2 ft long. These were looped through mitten hooks and larks headed back on themselves to form an adjustable loop. Hooks go up to the ridge line and the larks heads adjusted for fit. The corners of the quilt don't move. I am currently using a fronkey net and the quilt is inside the net.

With the built in net on your Darien, the hook won't work. Another attachment method will be needed. On another hammock, I sewed a 3/4" D-Ring at the shoulder location. A 1" toggle shock corded to the UQ goes through the D-Ring and holds the quilt in place. This would work at the foot end too. Important that if this is done at both shoulder ant foot end, there must be enough shock cord stretch to prevent quilt damage.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You could try something like Dutch's quilt hooks. However, I found that my underquilts only slide when the shock cord of my primary suspension is too tight. All my underquilts fit fine with my 10' hammocks, but the suspension is too short for my 11' hammocks. When I use them on an 11' hammock, I increase the length, e.g. with small dog bones. You want the shock cord to be just tight enough to close any gaps between underquilt and you in the hammock, but not tighter. For any gaps caused by quilt sag, I use my secondary suspension.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This has always plagued me - over like 4 different underquilts and an even larger number of hammocks. My best solution is quilt hooks sewn into the hammock + a hook for the suspension at either end on top of the ridgeline (works like triangle thingies moving the quilt suspension to the top) + ordering my quilt in extra wide width (and full-length so I don't have to worry about it slipping off my shoulders or feet as much).

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    You could try something like Dutch's quilt hooks. However, I found that my underquilts only slide when the shock cord of my primary suspension is too tight. All my underquilts fit fine with my 10' hammocks, but the suspension is too short for my 11' hammocks. When I use them on an 11' hammock, I increase the length, e.g. with small dog bones. You want the shock cord to be just tight enough to close any gaps between underquilt and you in the hammock, but not tighter. For any gaps caused by quilt sag, I use my secondary suspension.
    +1
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    You know... HH users never have this problem, nor do TTTG and papa smurf hammock users... These hammocks all have side tie outs either asym, or four points or more. Thus the left shoulder and right knee ladder loops of JRB UQ have attachment points for perfect alignment.

All others can remedy the issue without extra elastics which can wear the bug net ... Simply find the spot on the side hems where the UQ Ladder loops align and sew a 1 inch button or a mitten hook there... UQ will them be fixed in place.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    PLUQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    You know... HH users never have this problem, nor do TTTG and papa smurf hammock users... These hammocks all have side tie outs either asym, or four points or more. Thus the left shoulder and right knee ladder loops of JRB UQ have attachment points for perfect alignment.

All others can remedy the issue without extra elastics which can wear the bug net ... Simply find the spot on the side hems where the UQ Ladder loops align and sew a 1 inch button or a mitten hook there... UQ will them be fixed in place.

Pan
    Great tip Pan!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    As a Bridge user, I'm used to fiddle-free UQ use.

Since I've been trying a DH Darien, which I mostly like, my UQ migrates to my left a time or two each night (I lay head left/feet right). This is bad! It rises up on the left and leaves my right foot and hip unprotected & cool.

How do I fix this?

NOTE: I use a JRB rectangular UQ w/ their suspension larksheaded to the whoopie, just above the end of the hammock and threaded thru triangle thingies. To maximize its coverage where I need it (left shoulder, right foot) I use Shug's method of leaving one length of bungee shorter at the head and foot on the side that I want higher coverage.

So what say ye? Thank you.
    I'm new and still deciding on what direction to go in. Do you not like your bridge hammock? Why the switch?

Hmmmm, I bought a Yeti for my BB after researching this for a while. In all the reviews I read I never once read about this problem. My Yeti is on the way, shipped this morning as a matter of fact. Did not think I would have to fiddle around with it since it is made for the BB but now I wonder.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I hear so many complaints about this, but I'm baffled as to how it could happen. I'm certainly not calling anyone a liar, but all my UQs stay in place...there is NOWHERE for them to go. Maybe I got a fluke and Hammockgear sent me an extra wide version?

In this photo, you can see the UQ come up the side, AND UP OVER my toes. Going nowhere. It's the same on my left side, out of frame. In fact, if I look to the left, the UQ is actually blocking my view just barely. So obviously that's not slipping off.

Could it be people are sleeping at too much of an angle? Is it the height? I'm 5'9". Maybe someone 6'4" is putting too much tension on the UQ, causing it to move?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast