Splicing soft shackle directly to CRL

So I got to thinking today, I currently use masons line for a CRL (it's held up well in some serious wind but I question its overall strength but **** it's light) I use two small S-biners, one fixed and one prusik'd.

I was thinking. For people who use hollow braid cordage for their CRL's, is there any way to use a soft shackle. But just splice one end of it onto your CRL (say 2 inches bury then out again) instead of using a prusik? Would the angular nature of the strain ruin the chord? Or cause the ridge line to bend too much (similar to the way a prusik will put a bend in it)?

This topic is purely out of curiosity. I can't really see a huge advantage to this unless it holds better than a prusik and it might look prettier.

Look at my awful illustration!!!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I think you'd be better served with a UCR sort or arrangement and possibly incorporate the soft shackle into the tail of the ucr, plus it would be adjustable like a prusik. I also share your concern for the buried soft shackle damaging the CRL.

This video is not a CRL system, but it may give you some ideas.

Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

The Prusik allows the shackle to be moved. This idea doesn't...

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    The Prusik allows the shackle to be moved. This idea doesn't...
    Sure it does. Since the CRL runs through the shackle my logic is that it would slide along it. Similar to one side of the adjustable loop of a whoopie sling. I have some Amsteel sitting around somewhere. I'm going to have to give this the ol college try now!

Will report results

I get it...

Yeah I gave it a shot. The soft shackle was a little small so I don't think there was enough bury for it to grab onto the Amsteel. It just kinda slid back and forth.

So...you know...if you need a soft shackle to slide around on your ridge line you can totally splice one on

As you have it drawn, the tarp tension would distributed to front & back of the bury. Effectively tightening and loosening it's self at the same time.

If you were to design it where the tension would only pull on the tarp side of the bury, it should work. If you didn't need a shackle for attachment, a locked loop with the CRL buried in the tail would do. However, to get the buries long enough, it may not be worth the trouble of switching from a prusik.

Quote Originally Posted by NenjaBen View Post
    As you have it drawn, the tarp tension would distributed to front & back of the bury. Effectively tightening and loosening it's self at the same time.

If you were to design it where the tension would only pull on the tarp side of the bury, it should work. If you didn't need a shackle for attachment, a locked loop with the CRL buried in the tail would do. However, to get the buries long enough, it may not be worth the trouble of switching from a prusik.
    That makes a lot more sense. Would something like a dog bone with a soft shackle on the tarp side and the other side buried work? Or is that just the same thing with a longer end on it?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I came up with an idea to splice a Dutch Hook onto a Prusik loop, that is what I use to hang my tarps on my ridgeline. The end with the hook runs through the D ring on the tarp and attaches on the prusik loop. Pretty minimal, no fuss, easy to use. It's definitely more for those who like to splice and fiddle with rigging.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ferrerid=13625

David

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    I came up with an idea to splice a Dutch Hook onto a Prusik loop, that is what I use to hang my tarps on my ridgeline. The end with the hook runs through the D ring on the tarp and attaches on the prusik loop. Pretty minimal, no fuss, easy to use. It's definitely more for those who like to splice and fiddle with rigging.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ferrerid=13625

David
    I could see that. That would be the same as taking a soft shackle and prusik'ing it onto the ridge line. Just with Dutch bling :P

• + New Posts