Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: side pull outs

Hammock
    hh expedition zip

side pull outs

What do u do with your side pullouts when you us a "winter tarp" in a tight pinch?

Im wondering if you have side tie outs on the tarp on the outside why not have the same on the inside of the tarp run the hammock pull out through the tarp inside tie out then to ground

Sorry im new

Hammock
    Hennessey Backpacker Ultralight
    Tarp
    Backpacker Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessey
    I'm new too, so get your grain of salt ready and all of that...

I too have a Hennessey Expedition. The side tie outs on the hammock are far too long for me when I pitch the tarp at anything other than a very wide open, nearly horizontal pitch. What I've done is taken the shock cord tie outs, looped them through the clips at the corners of the tarp, then run them back and clipped them back onto the rings on the hammock that they are tied to.

If the pitch were even tighter... well, I would probably put a simple knot (overhand knot on a bight ought to do it, or you could get fancy and do a figure 8 on a bight) however far along the shock cord I needed it to be, then clip the bight into the corner of the tarp.

I wouldn't think that you'd need to really tighten the knot, so I wouldn't worry about getting it out later on, but if you were worried, I'd clip the little clip at the end of the tie out shock cord into the knot to create a little space - later on when you're untying the knot, remove that clip and it will have reserved you a little wiggle room that you can use to work out the knot. I figure you'd have to have a real whipping wind to crank that down tight enough that you'd have trouble getting it out, though.

Can you post a pic no idea what you mean sorry

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Not following....sorry
    Gideon

On my HH I use one shock cord to go from the hammock to the stake to the tarp. A few extra twists around the stake adjusts the tension.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I think what OP is saying is:

What do you do with your side tie-outs if you use a "winter tarp" and the pitch has the sides sloped down very steeply from the ridgeline. With a Hennessy stock tarp most of us run the tie-outs to the tarp tie-outs, which are up in the air. Or else witha Hex fly or something in "porch mode" maybe we run the tie-outs to a hiking pole. Otherwise to a stake in the ground. But with a "winter tarp" which I assume means something big that goes from the ridgeline nearly all the way to the ground, what do we do with the tie-outs?

Usually I just don't bother with the hammock tie-outs in this situation. If I feel like I need some additional tension I'll shorten the hammock tie-outs by looping them back on themselves or tying simple overhand loop and then connecting to a stake.

But OP's question is interesting ... if a big tarp like a Winter Dream is built with its own tie-outs, why couldn't someone add a grosgrain or other loop directly opposite the tarp tie-out but inside the tarp. Then you'd have a place to attach the hammock tie-outs which would transfer the tension to the outside tie-out and on to a stake.

My Winter Dream has a center pole mod but no external tie-outs so I have at times put my hammock tie-outs to the bottom of that pole connection...

Dutch sells clip-on tarp pullouts (http://www.dutchwaregear.com/clip-on...pull-outs.html). If you have a tarp with external tie-outs maybe you could install these in reverse and attach your hammock tie-outs to them on the inside.

But I suspect most Hennessy users just don't bother with the tie-outs in your described situation.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    But I suspect most Hennessy users just don't bother with the tie-outs in your described situation.
    I don't use them on my Hennessy for any situation. Removed them long ago.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I havent used the pullouts on my HH since the first trip I took on it. Looks pretty in the pictures with no one in the hammock but Ive found it just fine without them once Im inside.

Jon

Hammock
    Hennessey Backpacker Ultralight
    Tarp
    Backpacker Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessey
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer View Post
    I havent used the pullouts on my HH since the first trip I took on it.
    Hum. I'll have to give this a shot. I've always just obediently used the side tie outs. But I suppose other hammocks don't even have them in the first place, so it can't be so bad without them...!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    On the XLC i use the same stake for the entry side tie out as I do for my tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast