Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    biggy, what do you mean by "membrane"? I checked out the facebook, but the website for Mtn Wilderness isn't functional yeat...work in progress. Of course, the other question would be, price?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    biggy, what do you mean by "membrane"? I checked out the facebook, but the website for Mtn Wilderness isn't functional yeat...work in progress. Of course, the other question would be, price?
    Membrane is a silpoly material . Very light and no stretch. He will make a tarp out of whatever you want though.

http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/membrane-silpoly

Hammock
    They're all good!
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow 0*
    Quote Originally Posted by biggy View Post
    I'm having Charlie at Mountain Wilderness custom make me a 9x10 with doors out of membrane for my Amok. It should do the trick. It's much like the wb gt mentioned earlier.
    I'd like to see photos when it's done! Sounds like it would be a good fit. What's the price point, and does he charge extra for the custom work?
    "Getting lost is not a waste of time"-Jack Johnson

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    THX for the WB GT idea. I'd been pondering grabbing a Superfly for my WBBB, and with winter coming up i just pulled the trigger. My Amok should fit under the SF since the main dif between the GT and SF is the SF's additional 2 feet of RL. I'll figure out some sort of easy center tie out (like the GT has) when i set up in the yard as a test. I've got lots of tarp buddies in my camp gadget bag : )

Thom
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

Quote Originally Posted by biggy View Post
    I'm having Charlie at Mountain Wilderness custom make me a 9x10 with doors out of membrane for my Amok. It should do the trick. It's much like the wb gt mentioned earlier.
    biggy,

Did you get the new tarp yet?

Hammock
    They're all good!
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow 0*
    here is a picture of the modification I made to my standard AMOK tarp. all in I've got about $25 in it. I used it this past weekend in Northern WI where the temps were below 0* and there was a substantial amount of wind.IMG_0340.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by RPJR7 View Post
    biggy,

Did you get the new tarp yet?
    No I haven't.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Insulation
    Exped Syn Mat 9 LW
    Quote Originally Posted by Swung View Post
    here is a picture of the modification I made to my standard AMOK tarp. all in I've got about $25 in it. I used it this past weekend in Northern WI where the temps were below 0* and there was a substantial amount of wind.IMG_0340.jpg
    Do you have more details? From the picture, it looks like you matched the material exactly.

Hammock
    They're all good!
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow 0*
    Quote Originally Posted by kalee View Post
    Do you have more details? From the picture, it looks like you matched the material exactly.
    Ask away, I'd be glad to answer your questions. The fabric is nylon rip stop, held on with Velcro , and secures out with short pieces of shock cord staked to the ground.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Okay, secret project becomes a work in progress. I have the problem of owning both a WBRR and a Luke's 90 degree hammock...and not being overly flush with cash. So I put my thinking cap on and came up with a tarp design that I thought might work with both. I thought is there a way that I could shorten the ridgeline on a 11 foot cuben fiber tarp that was made for my WBRR and have it also work for my Luke's 90*? I drew up some sketches and approached Hammock Gear about adding a few extra ties on their Winter Palace in order for it to work both with my WBRR and 90*. Unfortunately, even though it seem Harry could envision what I was looking for, the owner of HG put the nix on adding the extra pull outs on my project. Not to be deterred by a naysayer, I pushed forward and purchased a HG Winter Palace with extra pullouts on the center panel and center edge. I got some pullouts from Zpacks and some 3M 94 primer from ebay.

Since my wife was at work, and hence wouldn't be able to give me the stink eye for taking over the living room and kitchen "project area", today was the day to push forward on my tarp project. basically, I put an extra set of ridgeline pullouts at 7 feet; I folded the 2 feet extra (11 feet to 7 feet means 2 feet on each end for a total of a 4 foot reduction in the ridgeline; for the extra 2 feet on each end I made a Z fold so that the "doors" would now be at the end of the new 7 foot ridgeline. I put two ties on the top to fasten to the 11 foot ridgeline plastic triangles. I put four ties (two per side) on the underside of the ridgeline to hold the fold in place. I added some reinforcement patches over the new CF pulls. See pictures:
    HGWinterPalacewith90degreeHammock_15.jpgHGWinterPalacewith90degreeHammock_14.jpgHGWinterPalacewith90degreeHammock_13.jpgHGWinterPalacewith90degreeHammock_12.jpgHGWinterPalacewith90degreeHammock_10.jpg

Unfortunately, my metal tripod with stakes wouldn't hold my weight so I was only able to set it up and not lie in the hammock. I will do this in the future with a couple of trees. My thoughts on the project:
    * It will work just fine. However:
    * It would be best to have the funds to afford both..$400 x 2.
    * The doors close fine, but are a little loose halfway up and probably would flap a bit if it was windy. They will still work okay for keeping the elements at bay.
    * I want to take the tent where I have 12 to 15 foot span and see how well the full length Winter Palace works with the Luke's 90* hammock.
    * The main reason for doing this project is that I find the Luke's 90* hammock far more comfortable than the WBRR. Therefore, I was planning on taking it on the AT thru-hike. How this project worked out was key piece in my gear assessment. After setting the modified tarp up there is good coverage with the modified WP for the hammock, but I am not convinced that if it was windy and rainy there would be sufficient coverage for my dog laying next to my hammock. If the full 11 foot WP (not shortened) works okay with the Luke's 90* hammock I would have plenty of coverage for my dog laying next to the hammock. If it doesn't work out then I will take the WP with my WBRR on the AT thru-hike because of the greater tarp coverage for my dog.
    * I do not think the OEM CF tarp that goes with the Luke's 90* hammock would provide any difference in coverage over my shortened WP, and in fact, would be a little less because the sides are tapered in.
    * Total cost of project (not counting the WP) was $20. Worth it for a CF tarp that will work with either hammock.
    * In the future I would be interested in hearing from the fellow who was working getting a custom Silpoly tarp fashioned after a modified Warbonnet GT. The cost of this Silpoly tarp should be relatively reasonable, much less expensive than a CF tarp that can only be used with the Luke's 90 degree hammock, and have the better properties of Silpoly over Silnylon. If that works out well for him I would probably purchase one because I prefer sleeping in my Luke's 90 degree hammock over my WBRR. Mind you, I really like my WBRR and wouldn't sell it, but the 90* is more comfortable overall.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast